New Traffic Laws as of 1 July 07 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Traffic Laws as of 1 July 07

dglockster
06-30-2007, 13:56
A friend sent this summary to me, so I am passing it along. If you know of other new traffic laws not mentioned or if some the ones in the list are not correct, please post additions or corrections.

READ THIS - SUNDAY IS JULY 1ST

Heads up to Texas drivers as new laws go into effect this Sunday..

We will need to get those hands free attachments for the cell phone, take a look at the others as well.

1. Carpool lane - 1st time offense $1068.50 (the $271 posted on the highway is old). Don't do it again because the 2nd offense is going to be double and the 3rd offense triple; 4th offense license is suspended.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or change lanes while in an intersection.

3. Blocking intersection - $485

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

5. Cell phone use in the construction zone - fine doubles as of 7/1/07. Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passenger and driver get ticket.

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.

8. DUI = JAIL (stays on your driving record for 10 years!!!)

9. As of 7/1/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. Ticket is $285.

RyanNREMTP
06-30-2007, 15:34
Most of those don't bother me at all. I get ticked off when I see drivers on cell phones and they try to be careful but end up driving 15 MPH below the limit. Then they get into a wreck and deny being on a cell phone.

trdvet
06-30-2007, 15:38
Anyone have a link to the TX.gov that says this?

flyinArmadillo
06-30-2007, 16:06
Did some research on the New Traffic Law info. Check out this site over on the DPS Web Page. It addresses part of what was reported. I have to admit though when I read this post it threw me for a loop! I do have a feeling though some of what was reported will eventually hit the law books.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/newlaws.htm

gm

dglockster
07-01-2007, 19:08
flyinArmadillo,
Thanks for the link. I knew someone here would have info on the changes, if any.

S.O.Interceptor
07-01-2007, 20:13
I haven't heard about half of these and none of them have been printed yet. And nothing went into effect today. They go into effect September 1st.

But I hope a "hands free" law goes into effect for cell phones. It's lojng overdue.

And there is already a law regarding improper lane changes. Crossing on a solid line has always been illegal.

So has blocking an intersection.

When you say "DUI = jail", do you mean that a law was passed that removed an officers discretion regarding whether a DUI minor who is not impaired could be released to a responsible party? I haven't heard that.

Stevearino
07-01-2007, 20:51
I read almost this exact same information on another website last night but for a different state. In short, its all fake.

First clue would be that state laws don't take effect except on September 1 as was stated earlier.

AggieMM
07-01-2007, 21:29
Someone just changed the "state" from Kalifornia to Texas:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/california.asp

Ryan

uhlawpup
07-03-2007, 11:37
From the Texas Department of Public Safety Website:

"False information has been circulating regarding new traffic laws.
There are no new traffic laws going into effect in July. More specifically, there are no new laws going into effect in July related to cell phones, seat belts or carpooling. No cell phone bills were passed this Legislative session. (This misinformation started as the result of an inaccurate e-mail and incorrect information on various Web sites.)"

Just curious,dglockster. Where did you get the information?

Dan_ntx
07-30-2007, 13:41
The good news is that you can now use Nigerian money orders to pay your fines. :supergrin:

DriBak
08-01-2007, 16:26
:laughabove:

Guessinator
08-02-2007, 14:46
Originally posted by dglockster
A friend sent this summary to me, so I am passing it along.

Kick your friend in the 10-ring.

ontheway
08-28-2007, 18:28
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy: :needspics: