New toy in the garage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New toy in the garage

mmsig229
07-01-2007, 11:00
I decided to look for a toy to run around in this Summer. Was looking for a CJ7 or 5, or maybe an old VW Beetle (Pre 68). A pal called me from a car show and was looking at a 61 Beetle hardtop. Turquoise green, new paint, overhauled motor, new tires, brakes, good original interior. Upgraded from a 6 to 12 volt system. Need to put the original radio back in....Well, my pal has a restored 63. I basically bought it sight unseen after my pal checked it out. Picked it up the next day. Sweet car. Wish I was able to post pics..I learned to drive on a 67. Any bug fans out there???????????Post pics if possible!!!

IslandHopper
07-01-2007, 18:44
No digital pics of it, but I had a '72 Thing back in the 80's ... what a hoot that was to cruise around in!

epsylum
07-02-2007, 17:41
I think they are cool, so I second the pics.

One Ragged Hole
07-03-2007, 14:24
IMHO, 1969 is the best year Bug to get. It still has the Link Pin front end, but is the first year for the independant rear suspension, kinda like a poor mans Porsche. In 1970 they went to McPhearson struts in front, and in 1968 they still had swing axles in the rear. Those are the reason Ralph Nader hated the Corvair.
O-R-H

mmsig229
07-07-2007, 14:18
Originally posted by One Ragged Hole
IMHO, 1969 is the best year Bug to get. It still has the Link Pin front end, but is the first year for the independant rear suspension, kinda like a poor mans Porsche. In 1970 they went to McPhearson struts in front, and in 1968 they still had swing axles in the rear. Those are the reason Ralph Nader hated the Corvair.
O-R-H

I really don't like the looks of the post 67's. The super beetles started looking too boxy and the interiors started looking too much like regular cars.