Hi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hi

16vmkII
07-02-2007, 16:08
An Army grunt stands in the rain with a 35 pound pack on his back, 15 pound. weapon in hand, after having marched 12 miles, and says, "This is ****!"

An Army Airborne Ranger stands in the rain with a 45 pound pack on his back, 15 pound weapon in hand, after having jumped from an airplane and marched 18 miles, and says with a smile, "This is good ****!"

A Navy SEAL lies in the mud, 55 pound pack on his back, 15 pound weapon in hand, after having had a 10 mile swim to shore, a five crawl through swamps, and a 25 mile march in jungle, at night, through enemy positions, says with a grin, "This really is great ****."

A Marine, up to his nose in the stinking, bug-infested mud of a swamp with a 65 pound pack on his back and a 15 pound weapon in each hand, after jumping from an aircraft at high altitude, into the ocean, swimming 12 miles to the shore, killing several alligators to enter the swamp, then crawling 30 miles through the brush to assault an enemy camp, says, "I love this ****."

An Air Force NCO sits in an easy chair in an air conditioned, carpeted office and says, "My e-mail's out? What kind of **** is this?"

:tongueout:

G19Tony
07-02-2007, 17:49
I've never heard that one before. :tongueout: :wavey:

MrMurphy
07-03-2007, 12:23
I've seen the cartoon he borrowed it from, but it included Army aviation, Army armor (tanks), etc.....

That was back in 1996... still funny, and quite true.. from an Air Force guy who stands out in the rain with a 29lb weapon and 60lb of armor on.

During a big inspection last fall, has to be a classic quote for the Air Force, between Security Forces (the grunts) and "the rest of the Air Force".

A bunch of SF guys are prone in the grass, guarding a C-17. A couple Humvees with M240's mounted in the turrets with gunners are providing overwatch.

It starts raining. Not even hard, just average rain. The inspector starts jumping up and down making noises about having the troops get in the Humvees, get under cover, under the aircraft wings etc (instead of remaining vigilant at their posts). I dont' know for sure what the inspector did for a regular job, but he was a Master Sergeant and presumably, a desk commando. A staff sergeant in charge of the sentries had to clean this up a little bit before passing the word on, but one of his airmen's comments essentially was "WTF is his problem.... it's just RAIN".

After some lightning strikes started hitting closer, they did get in the Humvees (where at least the gunners could still see and shoot) but they had a good chuckle at the desk commando's expense.

NonSWATCop
07-18-2007, 13:51
So who is the smart one! :tongueout:

eodcole
07-22-2007, 12:28
Oh come on MrMurphy!

You make it sound as if you SPs are the only ones to wear armor and tote a weapon. I guess us EOD troops fall under "the rest of the Air Force" while being attached the the Army and being blown up?

I love most of you cop folk except when I get ticketed for doing 45 in a 45 that's being enforced as an unposted 35.
:cheers:

klt1986
07-22-2007, 19:06
I can remember several times as a Crew Chief turning wrenches in the sleet and freezing rain, cussing about the SF guys sitting in heated vehicles!:supergrin:

G19Tony
07-23-2007, 09:34
Originally posted by klt1986
I can remember several times as a Crew Chief turning wrenches in the sleet and freezing rain, cussing about the SF guys sitting in heated vehicles!:supergrin:

+1 Lot's of times in the driving rain/sleet/snow loading bombs while the cops cruised around the flightline getting in the way, nice and toasty. :tongueout:

MrMurphy... Still not seeing the big picture. :supergrin: :wavey:

Sam White
07-23-2007, 14:26
G19Tony, during our ORE earlier this month we had a "simulated" terrorist head out to the flightline toward our unit's F16's. Although there were SF hanging out on the flightline, the crew chiefs were the ones who tackled the guy. :) FWIW, I work/am friends with a few SF vets in real life.

eodcole
07-23-2007, 19:31
Hey you crew chiefs sure do get the short end of the stick a lot. I hate hydraulic oil, and I probably don't get it on me nearly as much as you guys do.

Sam White
07-23-2007, 19:50
Btw, I'm an LRS weenie. I just happened to be working in the general area during that incident, getting cargo ready to go. It was great seeing those guys protecting their planes.:thumbsup:

G19Tony
07-23-2007, 20:46
Originally posted by Sam White
G19Tony, during our ORE earlier this month we had a "simulated" terrorist head out to the flightline toward our unit's F16's. Although there were SF hanging out on the flightline, the crew chiefs were the ones who tackled the guy. :)

It usually is. :banana: :wavey:

Live With Honor
07-30-2007, 18:27
Yes, I vividly remember warming my frozen hands on the ECS exhaust from the underbelly of an F-15, while watching the SP's drinking hot chocolate from within a heated truck parked on the flight ramp. Which is precisely why I am re-enlisting into Security Forces! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

G19Tony
07-30-2007, 20:16
Originally posted by Live With Honor
Yes, I vividly remember warming my frozen hands on the ECS exhaust from the underbelly of an F-15, while watching the SP's drinking hot chocolate from within a heated truck parked on the flight ramp. Which is precisely why I am re-enlisting into Security Forces! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Your hands do warm up quick when you put them in the exhaust of an F-16. :banana:

Doesn't take long either. :wavey:

MrMurphy
07-31-2007, 10:55
Hey, EOD does not fall into the "rest of the Air Force" category.

Anyone who willingly plays with UXO has bigger balls than I.

And while I've seen crew chiefs out in dirty weather etc... all of ours work on jets, if the weather is bad, inside a PAS or a HAS. They are fair-weather maintainers when it comes to working on jets outside (and I have friends who are chiefs and avionics guys).

And SF vehicles have a spectacularly low rating for A/C or heat actually WORKING when it needs to (heater works fine in summer but dies in winter etc).