Linux Guru Windows Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux Guru Windows Question

Daps
07-02-2007, 18:59
Ok guys here's the simple question. Is there a way I can run linux(slax) in a windows environment. I've read something about VMWare.

What I want to do is keep my XP Pro on my laptop. Use a portable usb 60 gig hard drive and load linux on it. I want to be able to pull up linux inside of windows and do some stuff and then exit out.

Just trying not to have to reboot.

So can it be done? If some instuctions please :)

Glock Bob
07-02-2007, 19:04
You can just get VirtualPC (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx)
for free from Microsoft and run Linux through it. Be aware that not all distros will work seamlessly with virtual computing.

Daps
07-02-2007, 19:14
hmm so is that free download from microsoft.com

maybe'll I'll just be better off just plugging in the usb drive and rebooting.

I'll try the virtualpc though

edit *duhhh u linked it for me

Glock Bob
07-02-2007, 19:18
It's from 2004, but it's free, so I ain't complaining. Just download and install it. Then let us in Tech Talk (http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=86) know when you've done so and we can steer you in the right direction for a distro and how to use it.

IndyGunFreak
07-02-2007, 19:23
There's also Vmwareplayer.

http://www.vmware.com

Daps
07-02-2007, 19:28
Ok let me try both of these apps

How hard is it to setup vmplayer?

Guod
07-02-2007, 19:33
As long as these aren't CPU intense tasks, using any virtual machine software will work fine. If it is more intense, you should consider dual booting. Popular right now is parallels.

Zak3056
07-02-2007, 20:12
Originally posted by Glock Bob
It's from 2004, but it's free, so I ain't complaining.

VPC 2007 was released six months ago or so.

Daps
07-03-2007, 07:55
I tried to get VirtualPC to work but couldnt get it to load the intreated mouse function. The linux cursor arrow was on the screen but I didnt have any control over it

Going to try the VM route

HerrGlock
07-03-2007, 07:58
VMWare rocks.

I believe they sacrifice goats to make it work as well as it does.

Daps
07-03-2007, 08:00
haha im loading it now and trying to get the configs done...

FunkJammin
07-03-2007, 08:03
Your motherboard needs to be able to boot to USB. Dual boot might serve you better...

-Funk

Daps
07-03-2007, 08:11
It can boot USB. Not a problem.
Once I get this VMware config and running problem solved.
I just don't like rebooting hahah
but as a last resort not a problem

Daps
07-03-2007, 10:47
Ok I got VMServer loaded on my laptop and created a local VM on it
I can boot up into linux using a ISO I got on the laptop but the problem is it doesnt seem my wireless cards, it sees my ethernet. Is there a certain mode i need to put it in?

Also when i type commands in a console screen it repeats some letters. At first I had it on a usb harddrive but it was kind of slow and I uninstalled the whole VM server and reinstalled it now I get the multiple letter when i type

I may uninstall the server and load VM player I found a webpage on setting it up

but barring doing that how do I get this thing to see my wifi card I have the internal one and also an Orinico that goes in my pc card slot

edit:
well the double typing has gone away, and I'm in full screen mode
It's just getting the wireless to work
when i do an ifconfig i only see eth0 and lo I dont see ath0
but if I use the iso and boot off of it my wireless cards are enabled
ideas?

IndyGunFreak
07-03-2007, 15:02
Originally posted by Daps
Ok I got VMServer loaded on my laptop and created a local VM on it
I can boot up into linux using a ISO I got on the laptop but the problem is it doesnt seem my wireless cards, it sees my ethernet. Is there a certain mode i need to put it in?

Also when i type commands in a console screen it repeats some letters. At first I had it on a usb harddrive but it was kind of slow and I uninstalled the whole VM server and reinstalled it now I get the multiple letter when i type

I may uninstall the server and load VM player I found a webpage on setting it up

but barring doing that how do I get this thing to see my wifi card I have the internal one and also an Orinico that goes in my pc card slot

edit:
well the double typing has gone away, and I'm in full screen mode
It's just getting the wireless to work
when i do an ifconfig i only see eth0 and lo I dont see ath0
but if I use the iso and boot off of it my wireless cards are enabled
ideas?

I don't have the first clue how to setup wireless in Slax. Open a terminal, and type "lspci", no quotes. Its going to list your systems devices, see if you see a wireless device in that list.

I really can't help you beyond that, if you see a device there you can try googling "whatever device" setup help slax or something like that. You may also want to Google for instructions on using a program called "NDisWrapper". This allows Linux to use the Windows driver for your wireless device.

Slax has a very steep learning curve(ala Slackware), if you can get everything working, it will turn even an old PC into a screamer.

Edit- Note, if lspci doesn't show your device, try these commands(I'm pretty sure they have to be ran as root)

lsusb(especially if you have a USB wireless device)
lshw

IGF

neeko
07-03-2007, 16:11
vmware/vpc will always see your internal wifi as a copper connection. the only way around it is to use a usb wifi card.

kernels around 2.6.20 and above have problems with the mouse in xwin environments. ms isnt forth coming and fixing the problem either.

Daps
07-03-2007, 22:06
Yeah I did some reading about the Vm and wireless and it seems the easiest thing to do is use usb which i decided to say screw it and go the bootable usb harddrive route..that way both my onboard wifi and my orinico card are seen, plus having my copper.

maybe i'll ditch slax and go with red hat or mandrake. Got some java stuff I want to do also

decisions decisions

IndyGunFreak
07-04-2007, 04:39
Yeah I did some reading about the Vm and wireless and it seems the easiest thing to do is use usb which i decided to say screw it and go the bootable usb harddrive route..that way both my onboard wifi and my orinico card are seen, plus having my copper.

maybe i'll ditch slax and go with red hat or mandrake. Got some java stuff I want to do also

decisions decisions

I wouldn't go with Mandriva, as it is absurdly slow. Thats just personal opinion. Up until version 10.0 Official, I really liked Mandrake(now Mandriva), but 07 was absolutely awful.

If you're thinking Redhat, I'd look at Fedora(pretty much the free version of Redhat).

IGF

Daps
07-04-2007, 08:06
Thanks for the info. Did some more thinking about using the usb hard drive and I think I'm just going to use partion magic or something and free up a couple of gigs of my laptop harddrive and put linux on it and just have a dual boot system. The response time off the usb drive was kind of slow, vmware was nice but a little slow.

Specks
07-05-2007, 15:07
If you have the disk space on your laptop, there is no need to repartition the drive. VMWare can install an OS on a virtual disk.

IndyGunFreak
07-05-2007, 18:31
Thanks for the info. Did some more thinking about using the usb hard drive and I think I'm just going to use partion magic or something and free up a couple of gigs of my laptop harddrive and put linux on it and just have a dual boot system. The response time off the usb drive was kind of slow, vmware was nice but a little slow.

I never had a lot of luck with Vmware, either my sound wouldn't work in the player, or my internet connection woudln't, etc.

YMMV..

Also, and my main reason for posting, no need to pay for Partition Magic(at least I don't think its free now.) If you're familiar with "Live CD's" in Linux, Gparted Live, is a great free tool for partitioning, formatting disks in almost every file system on the planet. It uses the fluxbox GUI, and is easy to use.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

IGF

FastZ
07-05-2007, 20:36
There's also VirtualBox, I use it to run Windows on Linux so I can do some homework for school (taking a class that requires MS Office 2007).

Daps
07-05-2007, 23:04
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
I never had a lot of luck with Vmware, either my sound wouldn't work in the player, or my internet connection woudln't, etc.

YMMV..

Also, and my main reason for posting, no need to pay for Partition Magic(at least I don't think its free now.) If you're familiar with "Live CD's" in Linux, Gparted Live, is a great free tool for partitioning, formatting disks in almost every file system on the planet. It uses the fluxbox GUI, and is easy to use.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

IGF

I used the tool in the distro, it allowed me to resize my hdd, screwed up my mbr the first time i did my lilo i was crap i knew i did it toom just loaded the windows cd and used the recovery console to fix the mbr and then back into linux and redid my lilo conf...I got a dual boot set up now and good to go..boots fast thats the way I like it..

Zak3056
07-06-2007, 13:49
the first time i did my lilo

There are distros that still use LILO? I thought GRUB had pretty much taken over?

Daps
07-06-2007, 14:51
Grub has pretty much taken over...

I like being different...plus i was used to it when i messed around with linux a while back