Moving to IL/Chicago with guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to IL/Chicago with guns?

cessnastud
07-02-2007, 21:18
Hey guys,

My buddy is going to be moving to the Chicago area later this year and he asked me if there were any "wacky" gun laws in Illinois. I told him that I thought IL had some of the nation's toughest laws and he wasn't pleased to hear that. I'm no expert, I'm in Ohio, but I told him I thought he would need to get a FOID card. He'll be bringing a Glock 32 with him. My best guess is that he would have to get the FOID card ASAP after moving there, but I've been known to be wrong now and again. What is the process like and how long does it usually take? Any advice that I can pass along would be helpful.

Thanks,

cs

Thiokol
07-02-2007, 21:55
Yes, he will have to get an FOID to legally posess his firearm and to purchase ammunition. If he's moving to Chicago or Morton Grove, he cannot possess the Glock within city limits. There are also one or two other cities with crazy local laws restricting handgun possession. The rest of the area, including Cook County are relatively free of the wackiness.

isp2605
07-03-2007, 06:47
He will need a FOID card. If he applies now he most likely will get it within 30 days and possibly less. If he waits until September or later in the fall the processing time gets a lot longer. Hunters wait until hunting season to check their FOIDs, find out they are expired, and the office gets flooded with renewals. That causes some serious delays.
If you go to http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm it lists some of the cities/towns that have laws more restrictive than state law. It's not an all-inclusive list because that's an ever changing process so just because a town isn't listed doesn't mean a town isn't more restrictive.
For state law there really isn't any restrictions on firearm ownership other than just requiring a FOID.

cessnastud
07-03-2007, 07:49
Thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to pass the info along. I don't know what city he'll be moving to, but I'll tell him to choose carefully. Thanks again for the help and I hope everyone here has a great 4th of July!

cs

schild
07-12-2007, 04:16
There is an assault weapon ban in Cook County(Chicago) and we will most likely soon have a state wide AW ban and >10 magazine ban.

Paul7
08-08-2007, 14:55
Originally posted by Thiokol
Yes, he will have to get an FOID to legally posess his firearm and to purchase ammunition. If he's moving to Chicago or Morton Grove, he cannot possess the Glock within city limits. There are also one or two other cities with crazy local laws restricting handgun possession. The rest of the area, including Cook County are relatively free of the wackiness.

Evanston and Oak Park also have handgun bans.

I noticed the 'Rev.' Jackson saying in support of a statewide assult weapon ban, 'M-16s aren't made for hunting, they're made for blowing up tanks.' What passes for intelligent political discourse in IL.

MeanKeene
09-04-2007, 01:06
my FOID card took 5 months, i sent in for it in april and got it middle of august, this was this year, there getting really bad there I heard cause Blagoivich(govenor), cut alotta people who work at the place that issues the cards.

my advice to your friend is to apply, can get the application on the illinois state police website. wait the 30 days and as soon as the 30 days hits and it's not there, call down there and ask, tell them his situation, and tell him to ask politely how long, they might bump him up considering his circumstance he'll need it quickly.

i called after 4 months hit and they told me it'll be there in 2 weeks. im positive it came then only because i called.

wait the 30 days though, or lie about saying its been 30 days.
because there pretty rude over there and it might piss em off that he called before the 30 day period.

and deffintly dont give no lip, be polite as possible.

but yeah if he gets caught with that gun in illinois, even if its in his house, without haveing a FOID card, felony.

Wild Bill
09-07-2007, 10:12
I'd recommend that he stay out of Cook County if he's moving to Illinois. Any of the surrounding counties are more gun friendly.

speedracer815
09-07-2007, 10:41
Go back! Lepper island!!!

And of course in Illinois there is no such thing as concealed (or open) carry unless you are a LEO.

Glock20-10
10-03-2007, 14:55
Originally posted by MeanKeene
[Bbut yeah if he gets caught with that gun in illinois, even if its in his house, without haveing a FOID card, felony. [/B]

And IL. hands out felonies like after dinner mints! And I truely believe it's directly to disarm us.