Can I apply the concealed permit by mail? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can I apply the concealed permit by mail?

johnydoe
07-03-2007, 09:53
Has anyone applied CCW permit by mail?

DannyR
07-03-2007, 11:08
I think Virginia requires an in-person application. It did when I applied in the 90's. Florida non-resident may be done by mail.

RussP
07-03-2007, 20:44
Are you in Virginia?

johnydoe
07-04-2007, 06:53
Yes, I live in Fairfax, VA. The Fairfax Circuit court hours are weekdays 8am to 4pm and I can't go there during their hours due to work.

DannyR
07-04-2007, 13:34
Guess you will have to take personal, vacation or sick time off.

RandySmith
07-05-2007, 06:00
It can be done by mail here.

Randy

DannyR
07-05-2007, 06:02
Bedford County requires you to pick up your permit in person, at which time you must show photo ID.

Ormazd
07-05-2007, 06:22
Originally posted by RandySmith
It can be done by mail here.
Randy

You didn't have to get fingerprinted? I had to do mine in person (York County)

RandySmith
07-05-2007, 07:10
Some courts require you to pick up the permit in person (and sign it before you leave) and others do not. I don't know if it is still the practice, but the circuit court for the surrounding county would mail the permit to you when it was ready. I am not sure what the rationale or determining factors might be - other than a mandate from the judge.

I did not have to have fingerprints done as it was a renewal. That part, which is another story in itself, took from October 06 until March 07 to resolve. The clerk of the court said the judge wanted fingerprints and there was no other way the permit application could be accepted. Once we got past that, they accepted the notarized application by mail.

Our court requires you pick up the permit in person and sign it before you leave. So, while the application was by mail, I had to be there to pick it up.

Call the clerk's office and ask what the procedure is for applying by mail.

Randy

vafish
07-05-2007, 09:26
Here is Fairfax Counties procedures.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/PDF/SP-248.pdf

Here is the state law on concealed handgun permits:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

I thought you had to apply in person, but nothing in their instructions or in the state law says you have to apply in person, just that you have to apply in writing.

I've never heard of anyone applying via mail in Fairfax County, but the law and their own proceedures to not seem to prohibit it.

It would be interesting to give it a try and see what happens, if they deny you for applying via the mail you could always contact the VCDL.

Scott30
07-08-2007, 08:25
Chesterfield County (outside Richmond) requires fingerprints. I had to go pick it up from the courthouse and show ID.