Forty Five Years Ago Today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forty Five Years Ago Today

Bones3
07-03-2007, 15:34
Forty five years ago today, after 4 years as a BT on WWII Tin Cans (USS Braine DD630 & USS Arnold J. Isbell DD869) I was separated from active duty. Two trips to WestPac, stood plane guard for more carriers & chased more damn subs than than I can remember, & took one can through FRAM in Bremerton, Washington.

After separation I came home to Houston & went to college, got a job, quit a job, played folk guitar for a spell, got married, got divorced, raced sailboats, got a job in the commercial printing industry, got married again & retired last March.

Where the hell did the last forty five years go?

Enjoyed my years on the cans, but now life is good & I'll let you youngsters take over now.

Thanks for reading.

GotGlock1917
07-03-2007, 17:37
45 years ago I was only 3 years old but I know how you feel.
It is hard to believe I have been out for 23 years.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~bigger/sub/TimHicks/0480_Swim_Call5.jpg

quaviet
07-04-2007, 05:48
45 Years ago today I was a sixth grader. 35 years ago today I was a Fire Control Technician on Somers DDG-34 in the Tonkin Gulf. I pulled out my tattered and illegal Chinese printed Janes Book 70-71 and found Braine and Isbell. The Braine a Fletcher class and the Isbell a Gearing class. We were a converted Forest Sherman class. Thanks for the thread that spurred my memory. We know what the fourth means.

Our lunch today is barbecued baby spare ribs, sourkraut, baked beans, candied yams, mashed potatoes with home made chicken gravy, corn on the cob, potato salad and blackberry pie with store bought ice cream. Home made ice cream gives me a headache and the cow and chickens are long gone. After we let the food digest then it is time for hoseshoes.

dox1842
07-04-2007, 10:36
45 years ago today, my dad probally was in like kindergarten. But anyway I apreciate your service and giving me the opportunity to be able to serve today :)

GotGlock1917
07-04-2007, 17:38
Originally posted by quaviet
I pulled out my tattered and illegal Chinese printed Janes Book 70-71 and found Braine and Isbell. The Braine a Fletcher class and the Isbell a Gearing class. We were a converted Forest Sherman class.

I don't need no stinkin' Jane's. :tongueout:

http://uss-somers.com/34top.jpg

quaviet
07-06-2007, 03:41
:tongueout: I don't need no stinking Janes either but it was more fun digging it out and see the other sister ships and a bio. Not to mention the data I had written down during the years past. You must have been a deck ape.:laughabove:

GotGlock1917
07-09-2007, 23:46
Originally posted by quaviet
:tongueout: I don't need no stinking Janes either but it was more fun digging it out and see the other sister ships and a bio. Not to mention the data I had written down during the years past. You must have been a deck ape.:laughabove:

Ha ha.

I usually go to google images to see what somebody's ship was/is when they post about it so I thought I'd post a pic.

Actually, I was a navigation electronics/central navigation computer technician on the USS Stonewall Jackson (SSBN 634)

http://home.nc.rr.com/volman/Sub/graphics/ssbn634dvic111.jpg

quaviet
07-10-2007, 05:34
No offence intended, we are all cut from the same mold. I am new to the forum and was thinking about buying a home protection weapon when I joined. Then I found out that a Glock does not have a hammer. I want the new gun that I buy to have a hammer. In want them to hear the first click so they can retreat.

GotFour
08-07-2007, 14:13
40 years ago today........ Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club, aboard
USS Hornet, squadron HS2. "HS2 Animals"

aerod1
08-11-2007, 15:30
Originally posted by Bones3
Forty five years ago today, after 4 years as a BT on WWII Tin Cans (USS Braine DD630 & USS Arnold J. Isbell DD869) I was separated from active duty. Two trips to WestPac, stood plane guard for more carriers & chased more damn subs than than I can remember, & took one can through FRAM in Bremerton, Washington.

After separation I came home to Houston & went to college, got a job, quit a job, played folk guitar for a spell, got married, got divorced, raced sailboats, got a job in the commercial printing industry, got married again & retired last March.

Where the hell did the last forty five years go?

Enjoyed my years on the cans, but now life is good & I'll let you youngsters take over now.

Thanks for reading.

I made two WesPac cruises. One in 1962 and the other in 1963/64, both aboard the USS Midway. I was honorably separated in 1965.
I spent my entire hitch, with the exception of basic training, aboard the Midway.:wavey: