IDE to Zip Drive Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IDE to Zip Drive Questions

WERA49
07-06-2007, 13:19
Guys, is it possible to install a IDE to Zip drive adapter onto a 486 DOS based computer? What else will I need?

This computer only has a 3.5" floppy drive. I've been told that this motherboard is not USB compatible.

BTW, this is on a CNC machine.

srhoades
07-06-2007, 14:04
why can't you install the drive as a slave, or pull the cdrom and use the zip drive as a master.

WERA49
07-06-2007, 16:35
why can't you install the drive as a slave,
That's a good idea.

The computer doesn't have a CD drive. I don't know if I can install software onto this computer because it only has a floppy drive. Most software is on CD's.

How will the computer know that I installed a Zip drive as a slave unit? How can I install the software?

This is on a older CNC mill.

srhoades
07-06-2007, 17:04
I missed the part about it being on a CNC. It probably won't work. Does the machine have a parrallel or serial port externally? You can usually upload paramters for the CNC (I'm assuming thats what you want to do) via a latpop and a serial cable that has the correct pinout of the machine.

HAVOC
07-06-2007, 17:16
Do you need the protability of a zip drive? Or just a way to get stuff off occasionally?

Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186002 would allow you to have easily removable storage, no goofy software and no fragile mylar media. The CF standard can exist as a standard ATA hard drive. FAR more stable, as well as larger, than ZiP disks. Only down side is you'll have to turn off the box to remove the card (I think).

WERA49
07-06-2007, 19:19
Does the machine have a parrallel or serial port externally?
It has an external RS232 that's easy to get to.

I've heard that file transfer through RS232 is very slow. I haven't tried that so I don't know.

Do you need the protability of a zip drive? Or just a way to get stuff off occasionally?
All that I need is a way to transfer files. Portability is not a concern.

The CF standard can exist as a standard ATA hard drive. FAR more stable, as well as larger, than ZiP disks. Only down side is you'll have to turn off the box to remove the card (I think).
You are correct. I could do that (and I still might) but it would be a hassle to shut down the machine to remove or install a compact flash card. After that, I power it up then re-home it, find my new reference points (zero's), then I can start cutting.

I'm just trying to find a reasonably priced improvement without lots of hassle.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

HAVOC
07-06-2007, 20:05
Man... can you even buy parallel or IDE ZiP drives any more? Never saw them in rs-232 format. And rs-232 is very slow.

I'm not sure, but I THINK you could get away with swappin CF cards on the fly. The cards themselves are hot-swappable, and I don't think DOS would choke if you worked fast, before it tried to do something with the card. So long as they were identical. Probably ill advised, and I'd play with it on something that wasn't mission critical first.

What's the interface between the machine and the mill? Could you load DOS in Virtual PC and run it on a newer box? I got a 15yo version of QNX to load and run in VPC, but all I needed was the serial port. VPC isn't very useful with odd cards or ports.

srhoades
07-06-2007, 20:34
rs-232 is slow but it its just uploading the paramters to the CNC it should work without too much agony.

WERA49
07-06-2007, 22:42
HAVOC, it would be nice if the adapter were hot pluggable. So far, everything that I've read claims that it's not.

This could work, I'll probably this one if nothing else turns up.

Newegg IDE - CF Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=cf+ide+adapter&x=14&y=28)

or this one: it appears to be the same thing
Buy Extras CF - IDE Adapter (http://www.buyextras.com/syhiquidetoc.html)

HAVOC
07-06-2007, 23:02
Originally posted by WERA49
HAVOC, it would be nice if the adapter were hot pluggable. So far, everything that I've read claims that it's not.

This could work, I'll probably this one if nothing else turns up.

Newegg IDE - CF Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=cf+ide+adapter&x=14&y=28)

or this one: it appears to be the same thing
Buy Extras CF - IDE Adapter (http://www.buyextras.com/syhiquidetoc.html)

Well I'm sure that the adapter is not hot swap. However, I think you might be able to get away with (even if not supported) swapping the CF card hot. I dunno.

The first part in the newegg link is designed to be stuck in the case somewhere, probably with sticky velcro, and connected with a standard IDE cable.

The second one at newegg, and the Buy Extras link is plugged right into the ide port on the motherboard.

The third one, and the one I linked, goes into a slot cover on the back of a regular case. The advantage here is not having to pop the lid on the box to get at the card.