Calling all MC Mechanics! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all MC Mechanics!

wrenrj1
07-06-2007, 18:52
My 1981 KZ 550 (8500 miles on the odo) failed me for the first time today. It was running fine during errands in the morning, but after work this evening she started fine, ran for about two minutes, then just quit like I turned it off. It refused to start for a bit, but realizing it was parked on an incline (parking garage) I righted her more straight up and it started.

Thinking the problem was a sensor for oil pressure or something, I started out, and as the cluch let out, she quit again. I went thru this process several times, with it finally starting, seeming to run fine, then either quit, or as the clutch was let out she quit.

I do need to have the clutch engaged prior to starting, and was wondering if that could be part of the issue. The up side to this is that I finally get to buy a small trailor as it's still parked in the parking garage at work.

Any ideas on where I should start to trouble shoot? Thanks.

tehan2
07-06-2007, 19:27
Originally posted by wrenrj1

Any ideas on where I should start to trouble shoot? Thanks.

I would start simple first and check your fuel lines (make sure you have enough gas)and fuel filter.

sounds real simple, but your bike needs fuel, air and spark to run. I've gone to help a buddy and found that his filter was clogged.

Always check simple/ easy first!!!! two weeks ago I broke down on the side of the road, bike just died while riding. No power to anything, so I was sure that I had a ground short. So in a parking lot, in the middle of no-where I pulled every wire looking for the short. My buddy said "maybe it's the battery". it couldn't be the battery!!! bike was running, I've pulled batteries out while the bike was running, once it's started the battery serves no purpose. So after 5 hours of running wires, to shut my buddy (who is as mechanically incline as a 2 year old)up, we pulled his battery and put it on my bike. It fired right up. Started the bike, bulled the battery and rode off to the dealership to get a new battery. One of the cells snapped in the battery itself and grounded itself out. I've never seen anything like it. moral of the story. think simple and easy first

NMGlocker
07-06-2007, 20:27
Check the kickstand safety switch.

wrenrj1
07-07-2007, 17:58
Well I purchased a new trailer from Menards and went to work to pick up my MC. I tried it before I loaded it, and it continued to turn over, but not start. Getting it back home, I determined that it was getting fuel, and that on occasion it would start and run normally, then it would simply quit when I revved the motor or tilted the bike.

About an hour ago, I went out and started her up while on its kick stand and standing beside it. The handle bars were turned to the right. I got on and turned the handbars straight, and it quit. I turned them back to the right, and it started. I did this several times with the same result. This had electrical written all over it.

I traced the wires up the neck to the right side starter and Off/Run switch. There was a small kink/tear in the protective covering forward of the gas tank where the wires bend when turning. I held the straight and BINGO! That appears to be the problem. Now on to figuring out how best to repair/replace the wire hopefully without having to replace any switches.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
07-08-2007, 07:25
I'd cut out the only the bad segment of wire, and solder in a patch, covering the solder joints on each end with heat-shrink tubing. If you can't do it yourself find a buddy who's got the stuff on-hand and offer him a beer for his effort.

Glad you found it and it's an easy fix.

wrenrj1
07-08-2007, 09:05
Originally posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs
I'd cut out the only the bad segment of wire, and solder in a patch, covering the solder joints on each end with heat-shrink tubing. If you can't do it yourself find a buddy who's got the stuff on-hand and offer him a beer for his effort.

Glad you found it and it's an easy fix.

Thanks J.R. Good advice, I'll give it a try.

wrenrj1
07-08-2007, 17:08
Fix complete. Only cost me about $807.00 (including $799.00 for the trailer).

RichBaker
07-09-2007, 17:07
You're going to need to repair it again, eventually. Soldered wires don't like vibration or flexing....if possible, I would pull a new wire in there by attaching it to the old one and pulling it thru the harness. Crimp, the preferred method, or solder it in a place that is less susceptible to a new break...

wrenrj1
07-09-2007, 18:22
Originally posted by RichBaker
You're going to need to repair it again, eventually. Soldered wires don't like vibration or flexing....if possible, I would pull a new wire in there by attaching it to the old one and pulling it thru the harness. Crimp, the preferred method, or solder it in a place that is less susceptible to a new break...

Thanks for the advice RichBaker. This is somewhat the way I did the repair. I also adjusted the wire set (as it was bundled with three other wires in a loose sleeve)as to not pinch around the underside of the gas tank.

Lone Wolff
07-10-2007, 19:05
Glad to hear you got it going again. Just curiosity on my part, but why'd you get a trailer instead of just a good ramp for your Titan?

wrenrj1
07-11-2007, 18:34
Originally posted by Lone Wolff
Glad to hear you got it going again. Just curiosity on my part, but why'd you get a trailer instead of just a good ramp for your Titan?

Actually, I did go to Tractor Supply and purchased a good heavy ramp that night. My bike weighs around 440lbs. with a full tank, and all the help I could muster was my wife no a friday night. I was parked in a parking garage which gave us a decreased angle for loading, but it was too heavy to get up the ramp and again, I WANTED a traler anyway.

And now I'll come out of the closet...As I haven't been visiting Glocktalk often the past few months, I traded the TITAN in April for........A HONDA RIDGELINE! I didn't need the 11.5 MPG, tow package, and constant recalls/issues of my first year model TITAN. While the TITAN was a great truck on the brawn side, the Ridgeline was the type of vehicle that balanced people/cargo, and towing capacity that was realistic for my needs. It is truly an innovative truck that has a tow package up to 5K.

I'm HOSED if this gets out to GNG! But here's a pic. and it is a truly a great truck for my needs, and I'm still secure in my manhood, and the wife will actually drive the Ridgeline. She refused to drive the TITAN.

As far as the trailer, it's a heck of alot easier to load the MC, wood, dirt, rocks and remove them. It fits perfectly under my deck.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/wrenrj1/Image0226X8.jpg

Lone Wolff
07-11-2007, 18:44
OK. I can see how your bike wouldn't fit in the back of the Honda. Plus if you only have yourself, and the bike isn't running, that makes it a lot harder to get all the way up into a truck bed. A second person is a necessity.

Give me a PM if you ever get bored and want somebody to ride with. Most of my other riding bros are getting tied down with other commitments.

wrenrj1
07-12-2007, 17:50
Originally posted by Lone Wolff
OK. I can see how your bike wouldn't fit in the back of the Honda. Plus if you only have yourself, and the bike isn't running, that makes it a lot harder to get all the way up into a truck bed. A second person is a necessity.

Give me a PM if you ever get bored and want somebody to ride with. Most of my other riding bros are getting tied down with other commitments.

Actually I measured it out, and with the tailgate down the bike would have fit. Due to my job I don't ride to work that much any more (my other commitments!), but I do realize I'd better be able to figure out the bus route home just in case.