Thinking about getting a new toy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a new toy

JAREDG21
07-07-2007, 10:47
Seriously thinking about selling my gsx-r 1000 with every goody possible and picking up a bmw r1200gs adventure. I rode a friends on about a 800 mile 3 day trip and let me tell you that thing is amazing. It would not be a very easy bike for shorter people but being 6'6" it is not a problem. In fact it is the first bike that seemed to be made for me. Comfy seat decent brakes huge storage and 8.7 gallons of fuel. If any body knows about these bikes please give me some input.

NMGlocker
07-07-2007, 11:09
Also give the KTM 990 Adventure a look.
More streamlined and a better dealer network here in the US.

JAREDG21
07-07-2007, 11:43
I did but it didn't fit me as well. I have ridden both the ktm is way more fun but for the purposes that I want the bike for the bmw just works better and it's more comfy.

fnfalman
07-07-2007, 14:42
The KTM 990 Adventure "S" is the equivalent of the BMW GS Adventure. It has the higher seat and higher suspension so it should fit a 6ft6 person better.

I'm a hard core Beemer enthusiast but there is no freaking way in hell I'd take a GS over the Katoom. The Katoom has better road manners and a lot better offroading capability.

BUT that GS is an exemplary vehicle. A lot of BMW people are favoring it over the RT as a long distance touring vehicle.

It has about the same power delivered to the rear wheel as the KTM (maybe a couple of horses shy off the KTM) but it has a lot more torque (80+ vs high 60s), so it's more tractable off the line when you carry a heavy load (pillion plus cargo or a lot of cargo).

The factory seat is usually replaced by better ones from Sargent or reskinned by one of the saddlers like Bill Mayer, Richard Mayer, Russell, etc.

The stock wind screen could be bothersome because it generates a lot of turbulence directed at one's head.

Stock shocks will crap out pretty soon but fear not. Ohlins is just around the corner.