CANNOT do ANY updates on XP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CANNOT do ANY updates on XP

nickg
07-07-2007, 13:51
title says it all.

i cannot get XP to do ANY updates. it's showing me something like 78 (? ? ? ? ? ?) updates but won't install ANY of them.

i've tried different suggestions so far, reinstalling this and that, and yet no updates will install.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated because right now i'm totally stumped. :steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

Washington,D.C.
07-07-2007, 14:07
You can always manually download and install security updates and maybe a few others. If you reinstalled and it's Windows XP without SP1 or SP2 I think autmatic updates no longer works. You first need to download and manually install SP1. Then automatic updates should work.

Blitzer
07-07-2007, 14:20
Next time tell us what you have installed, Firewall, Spam filter, Antiviral software, Anti-Malware etc before asking a question, it helps us.

Active X, Scrips and pop ups need to be enabled.

I find many Windows XP installs from Gateway and Dell have filters set to stop these actions, dumb not to allow Microsoft's web sites access by default.

Check to see if the Microsoft update web site is in your web browser's safe list and firewall add-on if you have one. And you need to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer as anything else will fail, Firefox, Netscape, etc.

chbix
07-07-2007, 14:35
If you got to the point where it installs the "validation" thing, and it flags your xp as a pirate copy, it wont allow you to dl anything other than security fixes.

nickg
07-07-2007, 19:15
never had any problems before until i put my hard drive with XP (w/SP2) on my new system. so really everything is still the same as far as firewalls, anti-virus, spyware programs, etc. NONE of that has changed. THOUGH i did do a "recovery" install on my HD when i put it on the new build. but authentication and validation of Windows worked with no problem. so that's why i'm stumped.

i can't think of anything in regards to the new BIOS, or drivers for new add-ons that would cause a conflict with Windows updating.

i even downloaded and reinstalled Windows Installer, and it said that is was working, but yet won't allow updates.

:upeyes:

Glock Bob
07-07-2007, 20:11
This may be a crazy question, but when was the last time you rebooted?

nickg
07-07-2007, 20:19
no problem with rebooting.

i just ran "sfc/scannow" from a command prompt. it asked for XP disc and checked "Windows File Protection" to check that all files are intact and original, with no problems there.

i've even read of some conflicts with Nero programs, so i uninstalled those just as a "process of elimination" to no avail.

chbix
07-07-2007, 20:59
so is it working now or ???

Anyway my next though was that the problem may be that you installed it in a new comp. Cause all of the components are different its considered a new system, maybe you have an OEM version that doesnt like what you did.....

Im not sure just trying to throw out ides. You have you tried to do a fresh install? it sounded like you didnt want to do that, but at this point it may be the only option.

nickg
07-07-2007, 21:31
jeez....i just did a reinstall of Service Pack 2. of course THAT didn't solve the problem either.

i am totally lost now and have NO idea where to go from here!

Philipp2
07-08-2007, 07:46
I had a similar situation with W2000 Pro and it came down to the only choice was to wipe the HD clean, install the OS, install all updates, then start putting all of the software and data back on. It wasn't worth it, so I never found out if that would have worked.:upeyes:

Tennessee Slim
07-08-2007, 09:25
If you don't already have it, install Firefox. Then get your updates from Windiz Update (http://windizupdate.com/).

Their claim is that they've set this site up for people who can't or don't want to use IE but it also just happens to make it possible for folks running bootleg XP to get their Microsloth updates.

IndyGunFreak
07-08-2007, 10:25
Originally posted by nickg

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=714452&highlight=nickg

after trying Linspire and then recently Ubuntu 7.4 i found myself quite disappointed.

until Linux can run correctly right out of the box with ALL apps, hardware, drivers, programs, etc., that i can EASILY use in Windows and NOT EVER have to go to the worthless command lines (isn't that why DOS is no longer around!!!!!?), then Linux will continue to be a "second tier" OS, mainly for the geek squad.

Linux is getting there, but it's not all the way yet.

believe me, i would love to get away from MSFT, but until the above happens, i don't see any form of Linux being my "go to" everyday OS anytime soon. too bad.

:supergrin: ;)

Sorry I have nothing helpful to add, but the irony of this struck me as mildly humorous.. :)

Hope you figure it out and get back to normal!

IGF

Washington,D.C.
07-08-2007, 16:22
You can manually download the upsates here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html

nickg
07-09-2007, 08:04
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
:supergrin: ;)

Sorry I have nothing helpful to add, but the irony of this struck me as mildly humorous.. :)

Hope you figure it out and get back to normal!

IGF

yeah, yeah, yeah.....throw the Linux thing back in my face again. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

with that being said....i knew i was having some HD problems somewhere, found out what the problem was, and did a total clean format of the drive and then a clean install of XP.

everything seems to be running fine now and the updates downloaded and installed. the new system is pretty clean now with the new XP install.

and since XP (32-bit) won't read anymore than 3 GB of ram, i took the 4th stick out and am just running 3 GB and it's working fine.

which brings the question.......any advantage of running 64-bit at this time, or are drivers and hardware issues still there?

at least i am setup for future use should 64-bit programs become the norm.

Washington,D.C.
07-09-2007, 08:21
64 bit Windows XP still has some driver issues and some software issues. You might do better with the 4 sticks of RAM as then they will run in dual channel mode. With an odd number of RAM sticks you give up the dual channel bandwidth.

elderboy02
07-09-2007, 09:13
My co-worker had the same problem. He did a google search on it. It happened when we upgraded xp from home to pro. He had to enable some sort of ole object.

nickg
07-09-2007, 12:22
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
64 bit Windows XP still has some driver issues and some software issues. You might do better with the 4 sticks of RAM as then they will run in dual channel mode. With an odd number of RAM sticks you give up the dual channel bandwidth.

but i thought that the fact is 32-bit XP won't even read anything above 3GB, no matter what processor, etc., you may be running. supposedly it's a moot point with the four sticks.

even when i had the 4 GB in, XP only stated that 3 was present, of course though the BIOS did show all 4.

Washington,D.C.
07-09-2007, 12:32
The BIOS is what determines if the memory is running in dual channel mode.

nickg
07-09-2007, 12:46
The BIOS is what determines if the memory is running in dual channel mode.

DC -- would i benefit then from adding the 4th stick again taking it back up to 4GB since the BIOS reads it fine? or would i be on the treadmill running that much ram with XP?

nickg
07-09-2007, 12:54
so i guess with dual channel processing you get two pipelines to the processor from the ram instead of one, thus your ram would work more efficiently, even with the limitations of the 3GB/XP situation, would that be correct?

DonL
07-09-2007, 16:00
To integrate hotfixes with SP2, go here:http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

Don't know on the ram question.

Washington,D.C.
07-09-2007, 17:50
Well it won't run dual channel for sure with three DIM's. You could go to 2gig's or 2 oone gig DIM's and two 512MB DIM's.

Glocker424
07-09-2007, 18:11
The BIOS is what determines if the memory is running in dual channel mode. Wrong. BIOS is a coded program embedded on a chip that recognizes and controls various devices that make up the PC. If you put in dual channel memory on a motherboard and enable Dual Channel support in the BIOS then it will run in dual channel. On a new motherboard that option is always selected by default.

Glocker424
07-09-2007, 18:12
To the OP, Is this a leagal copy of windows? If this is a Illgeal copy then it will not update itself. The key needs to be registed and windows needs to be unlocked in order to update Windows.

Washington,D.C.
07-09-2007, 19:26
Originally posted by Glocker424
Wrong. BIOS is a coded program embedded on a chip that recognizes and controls various devices that make up the PC. If you put in dual channel memory on a motherboard and enable Dual Channel support in the BIOS then it will run in dual channel. On a new motherboard that option is always selected by default.

Yes that what I mean. The BIOS setting setting determines it not the operating system.

Blitzer
07-09-2007, 19:37
4 GB of RAM would allow the motherboard to run more effectively.

doktarZues
07-09-2007, 20:02
From the command prompt:
1. type 'proxycfg -d' (clears proxy cache)
2. type 'net stop wuauserv' to stop the automatic updates service
3. delete contents of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution (or you can copy then delete if it makes you feel better, dont need to though)
4. type 'net start wuauserv' to restart the autoupdate service
5. try update again.

Bronson7
07-10-2007, 09:27
We don't even know what the guys mobo is. The mobo must support dual channel operation. If I'm wrong, Washington, let me know.
Bronson7

nickg
07-10-2007, 09:54
Originally posted by Glocker424
To the OP, Is this a leagal copy of windows? If this is a Illgeal copy then it will not update itself. The key needs to be registed and windows needs to be unlocked in order to update Windows.

its legal and on the same hard drive as i had in on for the last 6 years i had my old system. but i did have to register it again after setting up the new system and reinstalling.

nickg
07-10-2007, 10:06
Originally posted by Bronson7
We don't even know what the guys mobo is. The mobo must support dual channel operation. If I'm wrong, Washington, let me know.
Bronson7

ABIT KN9 SLI: here's the specs

CPU

* Supports Socket AM2 Processor with 2GHz system bus using Hyper Transport™ Technology
* Supports AMD CPU Cool 'n' Quiet Technology

Chipset

* NVIDIA® nForce 570 SLI MCP

Memory

* Four 240-pin DIMM sockets
* Supports Dual channel DDR2 800 ECC/non-ECC un-buffered memory

ABIT Engineered

* ABIT SoftMenu™ Technology
* ABIT CPU ThermalGuard™ Technology
* ABIT Silent-OTES™ Technology

NVIDIA SLI Technology

* Two PCI-Express X16 slots support NVIDIA Scalable Link Interface

Audio

* On board 7.1 CH HD Audio CODEC (ALC883)
* Supports auto jack sensing and optical S/P DIF Out

Dual GbE LAN

* Dual NVIDIA® Gigabit Ethernet

NV SATA 3Gb/s RAID

* Supports 6 ports NV SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD

IEEE1394

* Supports IEEE1394a (Firewire) at 400 Mb/s transfer rate

Expansion Slots

* 2 x PCI Express x16
* 2 x PCI Express x1
* 2 x PCI

Internal I/O Connectors

* 1 x Floppy port
* 6 x SATA connectors
* 1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66/33 connector
* 3 x USB 2.0 headers
* 2 x 1394 headers

Back Panel I/O

* 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
* 1 x PS/2 Mouse
* 4 x USB ports
* 2 x RJ-45 LAN port
* 1 x S/P DIF Out

Form Factor

* ATX form factor 305 x 245mm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
with:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Socket AM2 CPU

Dual Channel PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory ram.

Bronson7
07-10-2007, 10:13
Thanks, Nick.
Bronson7

nickg
07-10-2007, 11:12
here is quite an interesting note though.

even when i had all 4 sticks of ram in, XP only showed 3GB. so i took it out.

but after reading here about really using all 4 DIMM slots for dual channel mode to work i decided to put it back in just for the heck of it.

so i checked to see if the ram would still say 3 GB but NOW it says 3.5 GB!!! :shocked:

go figure!!!!! :supergrin: