Personal firearms on post? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Personal firearms on post?

10-32
07-07-2007, 16:09
I'm in the Army's Licensed Practical Nurse course on Ft. Sam Houston right now, and I'll be going to El Paso (WBAMC) to finish my training in a few weeks.

I'd love to get a gun or two down here, especially for El Paso (I hear some areas are pretty bad), but I don't think it'll go over well since I'm still in a training environment. (This is my ASI)

So the real question...When, if ever, will I be allowed to have a personal firearm, and will I be allowed to get a CCW so I can carry when I go off post?

I don't expect anyone to have the exact regs on this, but a general idea of how this is generally handled would be appreciated.

Bren
07-07-2007, 18:00
It's been a long time since I lived on an Army post, but as I recall there is no practical way you'll ever carry concealed if you live on post.

10-32
07-07-2007, 18:10
Can't even carry when you go off post?

I kind of figured not for liability reasons, but it's worth investigating anyway, right?

I miss my guns. Even if I can't carry, I'd like to have one or two to take to the range once in a while.

Thanks for the reply.

syntaxerrorsix
07-07-2007, 18:49
If you reside in the barracks, your firearms will be stored in the Arms Room where you will be subject to the whims of the armorer when and if you can sign in and out your weapon. If you live in base housing you should be able to keep your weapons in your home, however in any case you will not be able to carry it concealed at any time permit or not on post. Some post will not allow you to have firearms even in base housing. FT Polk did not have this policy and you were fine, other posts had tougher rules and overseas duty all but forbid shipping them over. Even driving with your weapon on post to and from hunting or shooting required that you did not stop by a friends house or hit the PX while you were traveling with it. Your solution is to live on the economy, or keep your weapons with someone that does.

.40 caliber
07-07-2007, 21:57
I live on post in base housing. We are allowed to keep firearms in housing but they must be kept unloaded and locked. All my buddies in the barracks with weapons have to keep them in the arms room. If the armorer feels like giving them their weapon then they can get it. There is no concealed carry on post, must be unloaded, locked in a gun case while traveling.

xxiv
07-07-2007, 23:06
Originally posted by syntaxerrorsix
Your solution is to live on the economy, or keep your weapons with someone that does.

+1.

Talk to a friend with BAH living off post who is willing to hold on to your firearms for you.

Don't store them in the company armory if you want any kind of control over when you get to see them.

10-32
07-08-2007, 10:00
Wow. Doesn't sound good for me.
Guess I'll just have to suck it up for a while.

Thanks for the replies.

eisman
07-12-2007, 01:22
Until you reach a permanent duty station you may not have POW. Regulations vary slightly by post (Alaska being different than Washington DC) but Federal law and Post Regulations take precidence on post, with the stricter being the norm for enforcemant.

Check with your local Provost Marshall prior to purchasing for the regs. Realize that even if you keep it off post you will be required to register it with the Post MP's. Failure to do so may result in UCMJ proceedings.

fourdeuce2
07-29-2007, 14:35
Make sure if you do store them at somebody else's house that it's somebody who's trustworthy. It would really suck to have them move out on you with your gun in their possession.:upeyes:

slewfoot
07-29-2007, 15:05
What I did when I was in the military is rent a storage space off base and kept my weapons and ammo there.

Most service men accumulate stuff that can not be stored in the barracks or on post housing so these storage places were everywhere.

When I wanted to go to the range, I just stopped into the storage place and picked up my stuff and went.

I had to rent the space anyway for some of my junk, I just hid the weapons among the other stuff.

deadday
08-17-2007, 11:15
Here at Fort Sam, they are not nearly as stringent as it sounds on some other posts. Of course, if you are living in the barracks, your weapons have to go in the Arms Room, or stay off post; however living in family housing, you can have as many weapons as you like, but they are required to be registered with the PMOs office. NOBODY is allowed to carry concealed on post, if you have a CCW, carry it off post in the box, as soon as you clear the gate, put it in your holster, no problems. Hope this helps.

drew

Ghost-1
08-26-2007, 09:16
I live in El Paso and and I am stationed at Ft. Bliss. I am currently over here in Iraq right now but should be home before Christmas hopefully. Like other have said you can not CCW on post at all and if you live in the barracks then your weapons have to be in the arms room.

I live in post housing but the funny thing about Bliss is that almost all of the military housing is off post.:upeyes: . I do CCW from inside of my house out to my truck and out of the housing area. There is no one there to say or do anything about it.

I also do this because yes there are problems around the area and there are some places I have gom through and will not do it again unless I have two pistols and a shot gun in the truck.

We do have a sweet rod and gun clud there. They have IDPA ISPC mathes alot there. The range has a 1000 yard shooting range and alot of other type ranges you can shoot at from pistol ranges to skeet and trap to just long range plinking ranges.:supergrin:

It is sad to say that if something did happen it would take the MPs 15 to 20 minutes to get there. We have problems already with homless and illeagals and gangs greaking into empty houses in the housing are and some other stuff.

Me and my family live right down the road from the hospital and it is not even on main post. You will see what I am talking about when you get there. You will ask yourself all kinds of crazy quiestions when you get there also. I know we were supprised about alot of stuff when we got there.:shocked:

If you would like to talk about this some more just shoot me an email and I can tell you everything you might want to know and stuff you will not want to know and things to help you out while you are there.:supergrin:

deadday
08-26-2007, 10:41
Ft. Bliss, where dreams go to die.

At Ft Sham, the housing is actually on post, but I went to the PM, showed him my Peace Officer credentials, showed him my civillian CHL, and my Dept. Creds. I asked him the best way to get from my home off post with the weapon, his exact words were 'Put the **** in your holster and go.' Just make sure you always have the weapons registration card on you, and if searched at the gate, warn the guards and tell them you just got back from the range. Problem solved.

Good luck in the box brother, keep you head down and your chin up. Are you short yet? PM some info and I can take care of anything you need over there, I can shoot you some images of my creds if you want to be sure.

drew

Ghost-1
08-26-2007, 11:06
Originally posted by deadday
Ft. Bliss, where dreams go to die.

At Ft Sham, the housing is actually on post, but I went to the PM, showed him my Peace Officer credentials, showed him my civillian CHL, and my Dept. Creds. I asked him the best way to get from my home off post with the weapon, his exact words were 'Put the **** in your holster and go.' Just make sure you always have the weapons registration card on you, and if searched at the gate, warn the guards and tell them you just got back from the range. Problem solved.

Good luck in the box brother, keep you head down and your chin up. Are you short yet? PM some info and I can take care of anything you need over there, I can shoot you some images of my creds if you want to be sure.

drew

Yeah Bliss does suck I have never been to a place like this it just blew our minds when we got there. Hell we have to go to NM just to train and stuff the post doesnt really have anything.

When I was at Ft. Hood I had a friend that was an MP and one that was CID I asked then the same thing when I got there. They told me the same thing as I lived right by the main gate. I did just what they told me.

They told us they are going to try and have us home for Christmas. We have been here since last October. I am not holding my breath as things change at the last moment around here and in the military.

Thanks for the offer but I dont like to bother people or ask for stuff. I asked for some help finding a part I needed and some other stuff and was told to keep looking and to find it myself. I have gotten to where I just look for what I need and wait until I can get it, if not I just dont get it and make due.

deadday
08-26-2007, 11:26
Originally posted by Hunter1
Yeah Bliss does suck I have never been to a place like this it just blew our minds when we got there. Hell we have to go to NM just to train and stuff the post doesnt really have anything.

When I was at Ft. Hood I had a friend that was an MP and one that was CID I asked then the same thing when I got there. They told me the same thing as I lived right by the main gate. I did just what they told me.

They told us they are going to try and have us home for Christmas. We have been here since last October. I am not holding my breath as things change at the last moment around here and in the military.

Thanks for the offer but I dont like to bother people or ask for stuff. I asked for some help finding a part I needed and some other stuff and was told to keep looking and to find it myself. I have gotten to where I just look for what I need and wait until I can get it, if not I just dont get it and make due.

Anything you need brother, just ask. Same blood in the same mud.

drew

Ghost-1
08-26-2007, 12:48
Drew,

Ok thanks I will keep you in mind if I think of anything I need. I know there are things people can get from other places that they dont have in El Paso.:sad:

My wife looses her mind when I am looking for something and she look all overtown and can not find it or the unfriendly people there give her a run around, you know who I am talking about hopefully.:upeyes:

deadday
08-26-2007, 12:51
Originally posted by Hunter1
Drew,

Ok thanks i will keep you in mind if I think of anything I need. I know there are things people can get from other places that they dont have in El Paso.:sad:

My wife looses her mind when I am looking for something and she look all overtown and can not find it or the unfriendly people there give her a run around, you know who I am talking about hopefully.:upeyes:

I know exactly what you're talking about brother, and it's disgraceful. As I said, anything, anytime.

drew