Proposed "Safety" Reg May Dry Up Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Proposed "Safety" Reg May Dry Up Ammo

watsoncb
07-07-2007, 18:21
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has proposed new rules that would have a dramatic effect on the storage and transportation of ammunition and handloading components. The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder and primers as "explosives."

The public comment period ends July 12. To file your own comment, or to learn more about the OSHA proposal, click here or go to: http://www.regulations.gov/ and search for Docket Number OSHA-2007-0032"; you can read OSHA's proposal and learn how to submit comments electronically, or by fax or mail.

Tell your friends...

Tony S45
07-08-2007, 03:29
I faxed and then mailed my letter. We all must continue to do our part to be vigilant or loose our rights!

Blitzer
07-08-2007, 04:08
JAMBOG This discussion is here twice already. :sad: :upeyes:

watsoncb
07-08-2007, 07:17
We might have it listed somewhere elese, but there are only 17 comments shown as being recieved.

I would suggest that another notification harms none. I have no idea what "JAMBOG" means.... but I would ask that you be patient. Have you sent in a response?

RandySmith
07-08-2007, 10:46
It looks like they (OSHA) are just trying to bring their regulations up to date with those already in effect from the DOT.

Am I missing something here?

Randy

vafish
07-08-2007, 12:36
Originally posted by RandySmith
It looks like they (OSHA) are just trying to bring their regulations up to date with those already in effect from the DOT.

Am I missing something here?

Randy

Yes I think you are missing quite a bit, Some of their proposed regulations call for things like searching all people within 50' of a facility that houses controlled items for matches and cigarette lighters.

Controlled items include Smokeless Powder, Primers, and Loaded Ammo!

Can you imagine Walmart searching everyone that comes within 50' of the sporting goods counter? Actually the way the proposed regulations is worded they would have to search everyone within 50' of their store.

They proposed regs call for shutting down operations if there is a lightening storm. Meaning almost every time it rains the ammo manufacturers would have to shut down production until the storm passes. The way this proposed reg is written it could also apply to places that "Store" explosives such as firearms ammunition. Can you imagine shutting down a gun store and evacuating everyone to a safe location every time there is a thunderstorm?

One of the proposed regulations requires that employers ensure that no one entering a facility that contains explosives be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. So now every retail store that sells ammunition has to drug and alcohol test everyone that comes through the door?

Another proposed regulations requires that no flammable cleaning solvents are allowed in the facility were ammunition is stored. So if your gun dealer has a gunsmith operation in the back they can't use any flammable gun cleaners or solvents.

No open flames are allowed either so that gunsmith better not use a torch, mig welder, gas for heating bluing tanks, ect....

Another proposed regulation would prohibit the carrying of firearms in any facility that stores explosives. Remember that firearms ammunition is considered and explosive under these new regulations and there is no quantity specified. That means carrying a gun in Walmart would now be against OSHA regulations and Walmart could be fined for simply allowing it.

There are some other things that would really hurt Walmart, one of the proposed regulations requires that retail stores have a trained and "competent" person working there. :rofl:

Basically they are going to treat smokeless powder , which is not an explosive, or loaded small arms ammunition like an explosive.

But these are proposed regulations, OSHA is seeking comments on them and the specifically are asking for comments on how they will affect retail operations for the sale of firearms ammunition.

If you own an establishment that sells or stores ammunition you need to respond to OSHA on how the proposed regulations will affect your business and the additional costs you will incur.

IIRC Randy you do a lot of firearms training, if you have bulk ammo shipments for your students direct to your range the new regulations could have a huge impact on your business.

RandySmith
07-08-2007, 13:31
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't read all 55 pages verbatim and am going through that now. The more I read, the less sense it makes.

Randy

vafish
07-08-2007, 16:29
Originally posted by RandySmith
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't read all 55 pages verbatim and am going through that now. The more I read, the less sense it makes.

Randy

I haven't completely read it either. There's a lot of it that deals with the guys who really use explosives on the job and transporting of those explosives, there also is a large section that deals with the fertilizers like were used in the OKC bombing.

There's actually a place or two where they admit they don't know how their rules will effect retail businesses and they want comments from them.

Those proposed regulations were obviously written by someone who has no idea about firearms, ammunition, and reloading components other than they go bang.

The stated goals of consolidating regulations, standardizing, and such aren't bad. But they need a lot of guidance in their implementation or gun owners could really get screwed.