CompTIA A+ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CompTIA A+

aspartz
07-08-2007, 06:10
I recently applied for a transfer to a geek job at my place of employment. Even though I have 25 years of experience in computers, 20+ programming, 10+ network admin, I was denied an interview because I lacked "A+" certification.

So I drove to the real world and perused the books at B&N. It seemed like this was silly. I got a sample test review book and just took the tests. W/o studying I passed all 4 parts.

Then I go online to book the "real" test. WTF!!! I'm supposed to drop better than $150 to take a nonsense test that only proves I know my sphincter from a hole in the ground??? My EMT license tests cost less than that.

Am I nuts or is this going to be a show stopper whereever I apply?

ARS

NetNinja
07-08-2007, 09:50
If a job you apply for requires a CompTIA A+ certification then yes.

Especially if it is for some government job.

Go take the test get your cert.

David_G17
07-08-2007, 11:12
I got it, but my boss paid for the tests. ;)

to answer your question, it will be needed to get through any large HR department.

might as well take the network+ test too.

Veri
07-08-2007, 18:12
Originally posted by David_G17
I got it, but my boss paid for the tests. ;)

to answer your question, it will be needed to get through any large HR department.

might as well take the network+ test too.

Not in the field, but this is sound advice. Yeah, it's pricy, but ... hey, what can you do. :wavey:

kimigirl
07-09-2007, 00:49
Actually its worse than that. The A+ cert has two tests. Hardware and software and each costs. I think I had to be pay $170 ea for the tests.
Sad thing is that it really doesn't mean much. With all your experience, thats really sad they wanted a piece of paper.

doktarZues
07-09-2007, 19:48
Most companies with a real IT department could give two craps about an A+ .. But look where they're coming from. It doesn't mean you're an IT super star, but it's a base line: They're guaranteed you know rat sht from rice crispies when it comes to PCs.

That said, based from experience, I would never want to work for a company that has A+ as mandatory, overlooking solid and recent experience.

The idiot that made that policy is probably running things, ya know? -dok

aspartz
07-09-2007, 23:36
It seemed to me that this whole A+ thing is yet another symptom of managers not knowing what you really do and needing this to separate the wheat and the chaff. A bunch of managers form a company to generate "reproducible" standards.

It ties into my other thread about companies caring less about technical "hard" skills than "soft" people skills.

ARS

neeko
07-14-2007, 12:52
I took the Security+ test yesterday as an elective for my MCSA. The test was a total joke. I finished it in 19 minutes and got a perfect score. Whats worse is it cost $250 but thankfully my employer will reimburse me.