Outlook 2007: two problems with the new mail tray icon, and a password issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2007: two problems with the new mail tray icon, and a password issue

Veri
07-08-2007, 17:05
SO frustrating.

(a) Say I'm browsing through folders and minimize Outlook while still in the default inbox. If I receive new mail, the new mail icon will not appear in the system tray. If I move back to Outlook Today before minimizing and receive mail when minimized, the tray icon will appear. Can this be fixed so as to always show?

(b) When new messages are moved by rules, the new mail tray icon never shows, no matter what. Was there ever a fix released/posted for this? I understand that this was not a problem with previous versions of OL, but it is now - and it's incredibly annoying.

(c) If an email account is temporarily unavailable (server's down, ISP issues, whatever), why is it that OL will repeatedly prompt you for the password even though you know it's right and chose to save it? This always happens if I can't connect to any given inbox after a set length of time, as has been happening recently with my ISP-provided mail.

I would consider going back to Thunderbird+Lightning, but OL's superior calendar layout / ability to sync contacts / nice interface pretty much have me trying to just figure things like this out.

NetNinja
07-08-2007, 18:34
I don't use Outlook 2007, But I can tell you Outlook has always had perculiar interactions, asking for passwords and continous errors even though you have the right credentials. I have had to sometimes reboot the machine just to clear out bad calls to the server.

If you are using Outlook 2007 what is the mail server you are connecting to?
Exchange?

We use Outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange 2003

My Linux users connect to my Exchange server via Thunderbird.
They don't have any problems.

Veri
07-09-2007, 06:21
No Exchange servers here; just several personal POP accounts, including a few gmail, an ISP-provided or two, and so forth. All personal use stuff.

Those mail notification issues are just ridiculous, but I don't have a clue how - or if - it can really be fixed. I've found several stories like mine while searching to see if there was a fix for this stuff, but I'm hoping someone here knows something that I don't.

NetNinja
07-09-2007, 22:28
Ok are we using Outlook or Outlook Express? Two very VERY different products.

I remember seeing Outlook Today under Outlook express.
If you are using Outlook express I will have some very nasty things to say. Read the sticky at the top of this forum and dump that POS.

A: Have you looked in the Tools/Options/preferences/ E-mail options
Advanced email options.

Play a sound/ Show an envelope option checked?

You may also want the email client to poll the server every 1 min instead of the default 5 mins.

I have never had a problem with either the little sound or the mail icon showing up in the system tray whenever I recieved mail.

B: Yes this is something I have noticed and I have not found a fix for it. I have all sorts of rules set up. If the email does not get deposited into the main inbox I never recieve a notification. I asume since rules act upon email before the email ever touches the inbox you never get the notification. Rules could be created to make a spam filter would you like to get a Ding every 1 sec. ;)

C: You almost answered your own question. The email server is down your email client is open, What does it do? It is trying to poll the server every 5 mins or so to recieve email so it is asking a question and never recieving an answer. Annoying as hell.

There is an excellent website called

http://www.slipstick.com

try looking for some answers over there. I go there to troll site.

Veri
07-10-2007, 06:16
Outlook 2007, of course. I wouldn't touch OE with a ten foot pole; I'm referring to the Today page you see when clicking on "Personal Folders".

Yep, sound/icon is enabled, and servers are polled on the minute.

And with the rules, I can definitely specify that a sound should be played / a desktop alert shown, and that's nice and all when I'm actually sitting at the computer. But otherwise, I'll just miss the alerts; I know there's a way to prolong the desktop alert, but I don't want to go about it like that. I just want my damn icon. :sad:

Same's true for correct passwords that I keep getting prompted for. I seem to remember Thunderbird taking my word for it about passwords for servers to which it couldn't connect, but OL? Noooooo, ask and ask and ask again.

Veri
07-12-2007, 15:21
bleh, my kingdom to anyone that can solve these pesky little problems.