Is Opera browser in use much these days? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Opera browser in use much these days?

MB-G26
07-08-2007, 19:59
I haven't had it installed or used it since a couple machine/MB crashes/replacements ago - but I used like the right-click option to access security settings, permissions, and such because it allowed for customized settings and restrictions for the actual webpage being viewed.

That allowed for more flexibility than IE (having one set of settings for each "zone", applicable to all sites in that "zone"), and is quicker than having to make global settings changes in Firefox (which has no right-click or site-specific options, nor has "zones" to allow for varying degrees of permissions).

I'm curious why I haven't seen Opera mentioned out and about for eons. Did it fall from favor?

Washington,D.C.
07-08-2007, 20:11
It's still one of the better browsers. Opera keeps working on it or working out "bugs" and for a long time the current version have called "beta's" which may put off some people from using it. 9.21 is the last stable version. I think making it work with Windows Vista has slowed down releasing new stable version. The current beta version is 9.22. You should stay with Opera 9.21 and especially with Windows XP for now.

Opera 9.22 beta

http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/

Latest stable version Opera 9.21

http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/?2682

Ljunatic
07-08-2007, 20:51
I have been using it since it went ad-free.

Rarely find a site that is not compatible, but one that sticks out in my mind is TurboTax. I use Firefox for filing returns online

MrsKitty
07-08-2007, 22:10
I went to Firefox a few years ago when I couldn't submit assignments for some classes. That semester, I just got used to it and kept using it later out of habit. Sometimes I still miss Opera but I have downloaded all the plug-ins and such to make Firefox just as good, or better.

IndyGunFreak
07-09-2007, 05:20
I use it.

IGF

Blitzer
07-09-2007, 06:56
I haven't used it 7.1. I liked it but it seamed to be slower than the others.

http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=29565&thanks=true&sub=true

Washington,D.C.
07-09-2007, 08:23
Opera is one of the festest browsers. It uses less resources than Firefox. Opera allows you to right chick and save photo's on webpages that don't normally allow saving their pic's that easily.

DonL
07-14-2007, 14:02
Does Opera still use it's own file format for saved bookmarks?

IndyGunFreak
07-14-2007, 15:57
Originally posted by DonL
Does Opera still use it's own file format for saved bookmarks?

Yes, but it will read Firefox/IE bookmark files, and FF/IE will read Opera's.

IGF

jimruger9
07-19-2007, 10:46
test

Washington,D.C.
07-20-2007, 15:58
The latest stable version has just been released.

http://filehippo.com/download_opera/

nickg
07-27-2007, 10:03
i decided to give Opera another try after not trying it for quite a long time, so yesterday i downloaded 9.22.

it imported all of my Firefox bookmarks no problem. seems to have a lot of nice features, it's own email program and is about 1/3 the size (i like that) of what seems to be becoming Firefox bloat, and looks like it uses a lot less system resources (i like that too) and is pretty quick.

you have a choice of skins, changing appearances, add ons or plug ins, etc., just like Firefox.

it does have some nice security features as well (anti phishing, fraudulent/questionable sites, etc.)

i did notice though that if you have "block all popups" activated that you have to click at the top to allow a particular page, photo, or whatever to show up in a tab. that might get old after a while.

but i'm going to use it and see what my overall impressions are after some time with it.

denfoote
07-27-2007, 13:09
I've been using it for about a year.
I'm using 9.22 with no trouble.

PoiDog
07-27-2007, 16:16
I've been using Opera for years, with FireFox on my machines just for variety. I rarely use IE in any of its incarnations. Too slow, too unstable for me.

Opera is what I use 98% of the time. I'm using it right now. The bookmarks / favorites translate back and forth easily between browsers.

I'm so used to it, it would be hard to change to anything else. FireFox is very good as well. Both of them blow the doors off IE. No contest.

Ljunatic
07-27-2007, 19:02
Originally posted by nickg

i did notice though that if you have "block all popups" activated that you have to click at the top to allow a particular page, photo, or whatever to show up in a tab. that might get old after a while.

Nick:

One of the features of Opera that I like is the ability to set preferences for each site, including pop ups. Just right click and select "edit site preferences" and customize away

nickg
07-31-2007, 09:07
one thing i do like about Firefox is the ability to restore a session from where you were at should the program close down for whatever reason.

does Opera have this same feature, as i haven't had to use it thus far?

Washington,D.C.
08-15-2007, 10:39
Opera now came out with a new version, Opera 9.23, to be more stable when running Java.

http://filehippo.com/download_opera/

Hooah
08-20-2007, 14:06
I use it, and I am an avid fan.

TheNakedMan
08-23-2007, 09:42
Opera is so light and great

They use it on the wii....

I use it on my mac, and I love it.

fast, tight.