Need some info please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some info please

Zonny
07-10-2007, 10:55
My daughter is graduating EOD ( ARMY GUARD) from Eglin AFB the 25th of this month.

My son & I will be attending the ceremony. Would not miss it for the world.

I would like to know what to expect. I believe it will be held outside in 80-90/60% humidity. That being said, what is the dress?

Is there a function afterward?

Are there professional photographers available?

What is the protocol for non-military addressing military?

Any info you can give will be helpful to this proud Mom.

Thanks in advance :patriot:

desertram800
07-10-2007, 13:58
I'd say dress semi-formal, nothing fancy. There is no dress code for you. Also, you don't have to call anyone by rank, since you are not expected to know it. If you do recognize rank insignia, you can address them by rank, it'll get some surprised looks and smiles! Otherwise, maybe just to be respectful, sir or maam. Im sure it'll be like every single military function, lots of boring speeches by important people that you've never heard of, every high ranking person has to get a little face time in and throw in their two bits. Long, boring, but plenty of photo oppurtunities for some proud parents! Congrats on the EOD completion, EOD has an extremely high attrition rate because the high stress and the complexity of the training and job!

eisman
07-12-2007, 01:15
The function is pretty normal. Speeches by Commandant, Honor Grad, Guest of Honor. Graduates file past. End of ceremony. Semi-formal/business dress is good. Refreshments may be served afterwards, but unless there's been an invitation to a "dining out" I would not expect a major function.

Photographers are usually not available.

Address officers as Sir or Ma'am, NCO's as Sergeant and you'll be fine. If you can't tell call them Sir. (It's usually considered a good idea to call anyone with stars General.)

My congratulations to your daughter.

nothing
07-13-2007, 06:32
Honestly I don't expect civilians to address officers by Sir or NCO's by Sergeant. As a matter of fact, I consider it common courtesy for soldiers to address civilians as sir or ma'am since we do in fact work for the citizens of this country.

IMO you should go with what you are comfortable with. Congratulations on you daughter's gratuation. EOD is a very difficult school from what I understand so I believe you are entitled to extra bragging rights.;)

Zonny
07-13-2007, 11:03
Thank you for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

I am certainly proud of my daughter although frightened beyond words about this MOS. This is a high school drop out with a GED who found her nitch in the military & this MOS and has excelled. This is her first MOS. She went in as an E-2 and has applied herself to the fullest. She prepared well (gathering all the info she could) before she went in and I think this worked to her advantage.

Now, I pray for her and all of our military defending our country and the freedoms we enjoy.

Thanks again.

10-32
07-14-2007, 13:49
Wow. EOD is in fact a difficult MOS to attain. I know of a few guys who tried and failed. They actually run you through some tests in basic before they'll even let you go to AIT to attempt to be EOD.
Congratulations to her and her family.

M1 SUPER 90
07-15-2007, 10:59
EOD teams save lives EVERY and I truly mean EVERY night in Iraq.

Folks like me could not do our jobs if it was not for the bravery of the EOD "sweep teams". :bowdown: :cowboy:

Tell your daughter "Thank You" from a currently deployed Soldier.

Zonny
07-28-2007, 18:16
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/PearlMarie/IMG_0088.jpg

For whatever reason, I can't get Photobucket to work so here's a link.

DaveGT
07-29-2007, 22:14
Thanks for posting the photo link.

Your daughter looks happy and confident, your pride in her and what she has accomplished is admirable !

xxiv
07-31-2007, 08:50
Congratulations to your daughter on graduation. Now the real fun begins!

ezterra
08-07-2007, 16:49
Originally posted by Arizonny
My daughter is graduating EOD ( ARMY GUARD) from Eglin AFB the 25th of this month.

My son & I will be attending the ceremony. Would not miss it for the world.

I would like to know what to expect. I believe it will be held outside in 80-90/60% humidity. That being said, what is the dress?

Is there a function afterward?

Are there professional photographers available?

What is the protocol for non-military addressing military?

Any info you can give will be helpful to this proud Mom.

Thanks in advance :patriot:

The graduation ceremony is pretty low key. Nothing like basic training graduation. The dress is pretty casual. It is Florida. Jeans and a nice shirt would be more than fine.

There is no function afterwards. The class may organize something informally on their own.

A civilian addressing military personel as Sir or Ma'am is fine.

Where comfortable shoes. You may get to see some of the training areas, and there may be a decent amount of walking involved.

If all goes well, I will be following in your daughters footsteps in December. As the EOD saying goes "Initial Success or Total Failure".

ezterra
08-07-2007, 18:06
My bad. I just realized it was originally posted in July, not August. I guess you probably know what the graduation is like now.