Time for new truck.. Tundra? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time for new truck.. Tundra?

Skyhook
07-11-2007, 06:16
My 2000 Tundra is getting long-in-tooth (74K mis) and I am thinking of ordering something to take its place.

So far, the only truck that has me interested is that Toy 5.7 Tundra Ltd. Even though it has been 'Dodged-up' and made ugly as a wart, there is all that excellent reliability and handling I've enjoyed with the old Tundra to consider.

My question: Anyone have 1st hand experience with this new Tundra? If so, care to give some evaluation?? Thanks.

Adams454
07-11-2007, 06:22
A friend of mine is a salesman and brought one home over the weekend. I got to do some extensive test driving and that thing was awesome. With the really huge double cab and the 5.7 4x4 trd it hauls ass like a race car and asses like a bus. I have a DC taco that I bought in january and that is the only other truck I would even bat an eye at. I love my taco more than any I've ever had and the tundra still makes dream of getting one. If it were'nt for the 13 mpg I might actually consider it.

FThorn
07-11-2007, 06:26
What the heck is a dc taco?

Adams454
07-11-2007, 06:45
Originally posted by FThorn
What the heck is a dc taco?

Sorry about that, I'm used to being on the toyota forums.

DC taco = Double Cab Tacoma

Skyhook
07-11-2007, 06:51
"13 mpg"?!? :alex:

I thought the mpg was something on the order of ~17mpg. That I could live with as that's just what my 2000 Tundra gets routinely. But, 13?? Gack.

Adams454
07-11-2007, 07:24
You'll only average about 13-14 with the 5.7 option. You might get 1-2 mpg better if you're really easy on it. I drive my truck like I stole it. Whats the use in having 236 horses if you stay in the slow lane. If you get the other v8 (I think its a 4.7) you'll get a little better mileage, but you lose a lot of the power. Lets face it, people don't spend $38,000 on a truck and compromise on the power.

Skyhook
07-12-2007, 05:38
You're right, of course. V-8s are not fours, and I expect that truck's weight to subtract from the mileage.

My 2000 TRD Tundra has that 4.7 and seldom hammer it. No need.

Nonetheless, that mileage sticker estimate indicated better than 13-14, I think. And, would a sticker be wrong?!? :supergrin:

painkiller
08-02-2007, 23:32
why not goDIESEL?performance of a vette,mpg's of a honda,reliability of a mack truck!

Skyhook
08-03-2007, 04:52
Originally posted by painkiller
why not goDIESEL?performance of a vette,mpg's of a honda,reliability of a mack truck!

Well, frankly, I was actually thinking I'd get the 3/4 Dodge w/Cummins diesel as a friend has one (a 2006) and I was impressed with the quiet, powerful, performance. However, he had to have some kind of alternate computer system after-market thing installed to improve his mileage (he was getting 13mpg around town and 17 open road). Then, he started to have several pesky things needing warranty repair.. wipers, door seals, rear brakes, fan belt, switch on the driver's seat,and he can't keep a windshield in the thing. He's on his third one and there seems to be some kind of stress cracking as no stone chipping/hit can be found. :dunno:

Maybe you know of a source for Toy diesels??

painkiller
08-04-2007, 23:09
i wish i had a source for toy diesels,heck i'd get myself one....well maybe two.i would try trucktrader.com if i were you.but be advised,a diesel will cost more up front,but will hold it's resale value longer,and should pay for itself in savings vs gas withen a few years

Skyhook
08-06-2007, 04:17
Headin' into town to check out a green 5.7 this a.m.

TRD, SR5, Steps (OFs call 'em 'running boards':supergrin: )

They're asking $33,700........... we'll see about that.;)

painkiller
08-06-2007, 23:53
i know a place in texas you can buy a new cummins 3/4 ton loaded for about that price.

Skyhook
08-07-2007, 04:43
Originally posted by painkiller
i know a place in texas you can buy a new cummins 3/4 ton loaded for about that price.

That would darned near be worth the hassle of going to that great state.

Heck, I could visit my SIL in Austin AND pick up a good deal at the Dodge place!

HMMmmmmmmmmm.

SAWMAN
08-07-2007, 12:33
Skyhook, check out that shifter/tranny. That is what made the vech so very appealing to me. Button on the console shifter(stick) or a little lever on the tranny arm. Gotta love it.

IIRC....6 speed also.

Warp
08-07-2007, 18:24
Originally posted by Adams454
You'll only average about 13-14 with the 5.7 option. You might get 1-2 mpg better if you're really easy on it. I drive my truck like I stole it. Whats the use in having 236 horses if you stay in the slow lane. If you get the other v8 (I think its a 4.7) you'll get a little better mileage, but you lose a lot of the power. Lets face it, people don't spend $38,000 on a truck and compromise on the power.

A "full size" truck with 236 horses seems like it belongs in the slow lane. :tongueout:

OUSooner
08-08-2007, 06:46
The new Tundra has had major catastrophic engine failures and numerous other problems. It's obvious Toyota doesn't know how to make a real full size truck yet.

Toyota

2007 Tundra
Toyota Tundra may be recalled

Engine trouble on new Texas-made pickup could hurt quality reputation.

Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

Toyota Motor Corp. faces a costly setback in the biggest U.S. vehicle launch in its history after owners of its new Tundra pickup reported engine failures.

The Japanese automaker may recall Tundras equipped with 5.7-liter V-8s to replace the engines, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The trouble with the Tundra's 5.7-liter engines, the most powerful engine available on the new pickup, is the latest in a series of recalls and problems that have dented Toyota's reputation.

The automaker set the industry standards for vehicle quality, but now seems to be straining to maintain top quality as it expands overseas, builds factories and hires thousands of new workers.

"It's really tough," said Karl Brauer, editor of Edmunds.com, an automotive research Web site. "Engine failure kills a car's ability to run and it's not a simple thing to fix."

Such a problem is also likely to affect residual values, he said.

Industry experts say Toyota is extremely vulnerable to negative publicity because of its prominence in the industry.

In the first quarter of 2007, Toyota overtook General Motors Corp. to become the world's leading automaker in terms of sales.

With the launch of the Tundra earlier this year, Toyota aims to double its share of the lucrative full-size pickup market, one of the few segments still dominated by the U.S. automakers.

Toyota officials characterize the Tundra launch as the most important introduction in the company's history in the United States.

The rollout has suffered delays and disappointments. For instance, the Tundra earned lower frontal crash scores than domestic rivals such as the Ford F-150 and Dodge Ram.

But the engine problem is more damaging and could slow the vehicle's brisk sales momentum.

Company spokesman Bill Kwong said Toyota realized in February that there was a problem with the camshafts delivered by a supplier for the 5.7-liter engine, and the automaker ordered the necessary changes to production.

Still, Toyota has seen 20 cases of engine failure in trucks equipped with 5.7-liter engines, although no injuries have been reported.

Toyota is now studying how many of the 30,000 5.7-liter engines it built are affected.

Toyota builds the Tundra pickup at assembly plants in Princeton, Ind., and San Antonio, Texas, and makes the engines in Alabama.

The automaker hopes to sell 200,000 new Tundras this year, compared with 124,508 previous-generation Tundras in 2006.

But U.S. automakers are holding their own in the pickup market, and GM has been successful with its new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks.

In contrast to their performance in the car market, where they have been pushed back by Japanese nameplates, American manufacturers account for more than 90 percent of full-size pickup sales, which totaled 2.2 million units in 2006.

Powder
08-08-2007, 14:40
Originally posted by OUSooner
[B]The new Tundra has had major catastrophic engine failures and numerous other problems. It's obvious Toyota doesn't know how to make a real full size truck yet.

Still, Toyota has seen 20 cases of engine failure in trucks equipped with 5.7-liter engines, although no injuries have been reported.

Toyota is now studying how many of the 30,000 5.7-liter engines it built are affected.

/B]

20 engine failures out of 30k vehicles before they fixed the issue. That's only .0006%. Hardly something worth worrying about considering they fixed the supplier issues.

Adams454
08-08-2007, 15:40
Originally posted by Warp
A "full size" truck with 236 horses seems like it belongs in the slow lane. :tongueout:

No, the 236 horse motor is the 4.0 v6 in my tacoma. It's not a fullsize at all.
It's a midsize and beats what ford, chevy, and dodge have to offer. Trust me, when I bought mine I had shopped for months before deciding on the toyota. If it weren't for gas mileage I would have a tundra right now. The ford ranger was too small, the chevy colorado was very underpowered and the nissan just wasn't priced cheap enough to talk me out of the toyota.
I have had my tacoma for 7 mos now and have just over 21000 on the odo, and couldn't be happier.

Infallible
08-09-2007, 15:15
No, the 236 horse motor is the 4.0 v6 in my tacoma. It's not a fullsize at all.
It's a midsize and beats what ford, chevy, and dodge have to offer.

At the price of a Tacoma you can pick up a full size F150 or Silverado with a V8 for less money.

IslandHopper
08-10-2007, 06:27
I'd lean towards an American brand myself, but...

If Toyota would make the Hino Turbo-Diesel an otion for the Tundra... oh man that'd be sweet! 220HP and 550 lb/ft. You could haul/tow ANYthing :)

Skyhook
08-10-2007, 07:03
What I will pick up tomorrow a.m.:

'07 Tundra 5.7 TRD "super cab" short (6'6") box, green.

The dealer was happy to get my 2000 Tundra (70K mis) as it was perfect- everything works, always did. That was by far the best of the many pick-ups I have owned.

As for the engine issue.. There's not enough in that to spook this buyer.

;)

Adams454
08-10-2007, 07:25
Originally posted by Skyhook
What I will pick up tomorrow a.m.:

'07 Tundra 5.7 TRD "super cab" short (6'6") box, green.

The dealer was happy to get my 2000 Tundra (70K mis) as it was perfect- everything works, always did. That was by far the best of the many pick-ups I have owned.

As for the engine issue.. There's not enough in that to spook this buyer.

;)

Congratulations. I know you'll love it. They ride really good and have lots of power.

The engine "issue" everybody tries to scare with doesn't mean a thing o me either. I personally know more people with engine failures in the "big 3" than all the toyotas nationwide, so it wouldn't be an issue to me either.

As for the price of ford and chevy, I was well aware of them when I spent all that money on the toyota. And I still bought the toyota. And will continue to since now the wife wants an 08 highlander.

Skyhook
08-10-2007, 08:39
Congratulations. I know you'll love it. They ride really good and have lots of power.

The engine "issue" everybody tries to scare with doesn't mean a thing o me either. I personally know more people with engine failures in the "big 3" than all the toyotas nationwide, so it wouldn't be an issue to me either.

As for the price of ford and chevy, I was well aware of them when I spent all that money on the toyota. And I still bought the toyota. And will continue to since now the wife wants an 08 highlander.

Thanks. The demo went well and I was impressed with the response :alex:

I'm going to have to learn to tippity-tap that gas peddle.;)

LarryNC
12-22-2007, 09:02
Congratulations. I used to feel that I had to buy something made in this country, but after driving my wife's 2006 4-Runner… I am sold on Toyota. I am currently leaning towards the Tacoma.

painkiller
12-29-2007, 20:40
what kind of real world MPG's are people getting with their double cab tacomas,2 or 4 wheel drive.my wife thinks they do better than my 96 s10 with the 4.3 and i think she doesnt know what shes talking about.it does 25 highway at 70 with a/c on in the summer.she dont like it so were (she's)considering checking one out.anyone had any issues with them?they seem rather pricey too.i swaer years back there was a big differance in price between full size and mid/compact size trucks.now they could almost be neck and neck,what gives?

Skyhook
12-30-2007, 05:44
what kind of real world MPG's are people getting with their double cab tacomas,2 or 4 wheel drive.my wife thinks they do better than my 96 s10 with the 4.3 and i think she doesnt know what shes talking about.it does 25 highway at 70 with a/c on in the summer.she dont like it so were (she's)considering checking one out.anyone had any issues with them?they seem rather pricey too.i swaer years back there was a big differance in price between full size and mid/compact size trucks.now they could almost be neck and neck,what gives?

MPG with the Tundra is driving me nuts lately.
I was getting 15-17 as I did my routine mostly on country open roads and since all of our fuel stations have dispensed 10% alcohol mix, I am barely managing 13mpg. Not much has changed- actually I thought after a bit of as break-in period I'd see better figures- but, there it is and I suspect the &*@# alcohol mix is robbing me.

My SIL has a 2006 Tacoma and I'll ask him about his real life MPG and get back to ya.

Lone Wolff
12-31-2007, 20:50
My 2000 Tundra is getting long-in-tooth (74K mis) and I am thinking of ordering something to take its place.

Just curious, but 74K miles seems like it's just broken in. Anything in particular made you want to trade up, or were you just itching for that 'new truck' smell?

Reason I ask is 'cause I've got a 94 Mazda that I've been tempted to trade in on something newer for the past 4 years, but I cannot ever pull the trigger. There just isn't anything wrong with it, and the value has bottomed out where I won't lose anymore regardless of how long I keep it. Maybe I've just been enjoying not having car payments for 9 years now.

Any rate, we need pics of your new addition to the family.

Skyhook
01-01-2008, 04:09
Just curious, but 74K miles seems like it's just broken in. Anything in particular made you want to trade up, or were you just itching for that 'new truck' smell?

Reason I ask is 'cause I've got a 94 Mazda that I've been tempted to trade in on something newer for the past 4 years, but I cannot ever pull the trigger. There just isn't anything wrong with it, and the value has bottomed out where I won't lose anymore regardless of how long I keep it. Maybe I've just been enjoying not having car payments for 9 years now.

Any rate, we need pics of your new addition to the family.

My one large reason for getting the larger/newer Tundra was that the grandkids are growing at what seems to be exponential increments and the 2000 Tundra back seat was getting to be a bit crowded.

There were no issues at all with that truck and, for the very first time ever, I felt like I was betraying a friend or giving away my dog when I dropped it off. Talk about a loyal, dependable machine! Not even a bulb needed replacing.

As for those pics, I'll try to get time to post them but meanwhile, think Tundra TRD, deep green, with matching Leer 100R cap, chrome step rails, and (right now) lots of salt & road dirt.:cool:

painkiller
01-01-2008, 11:59
thansk skyhook,please do get back to me