Few Pit Related Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Few Pit Related Questions

Korey5640
07-11-2007, 07:53
I want to head up to the pit this weekend with my G22 if work allows it and I had a few quick questions first. I have only ever shot at a PD indoor range, a local indoor range, and Bald Mt. outdoor range. I was mostly curious about what the set up is like.

Is it just dirt mounds and you bring whatever the heck you feel like shooting at today? Or is it more "formal" where there are stands set up at 25 yards and a "formal" firing line?

Thanks.

COBRA90GT
07-11-2007, 10:09
It's pretty much dirt - informal. :supergrin:

Landor
07-11-2007, 13:02
Well it looks like a dump. Really, it does. There is junk everywhere and everything is a target. From about 5 yards in from of you to the end of the range which is about 70 - 100 yards. I have never measured it so that is a guess. It is flat and a big hill at the end to catch the bullets. I have been there and had the whole range to myself and I have been there while it was packed. I have never had a problem there and you see a lot of cool guns. It is sad that it is so messy.

Hope this helps

P.S. I believe their are some pictures on this site or on AR15.com of people at the pit.

brucek
07-11-2007, 19:22
Originally posted by Korey5640
I want to head up to the pit this weekend with my G22 if work allows it and I had a few quick questions first. I have only ever shot at a PD indoor range, a local indoor range, and Bald Mt. outdoor range. I was mostly curious about what the set up is like.

Is it just dirt mounds and you bring whatever the heck you feel like shooting at today? Or is it more "formal" where there are stands set up at 25 yards and a "formal" firing line?

Thanks.

After spending the better part of last Friday at Island Lake, my son and I are ready for something a little less formal - where is "The Pit". I'd love to show him what a .308 will do to a milk jug full of water! :)

Thanks!
--

BruceK

brucek
07-11-2007, 19:27
Whoops! Never mind, found the location in another thread. Hope to see some of you out there one weekend soon!
--

BruceK

Turtle13
07-11-2007, 19:28
I always say its like a bowl cut in half. And it really does look like a dump until you realize theres casings laying everywhere and everything has millions of holes in it. It's got charm though.

Depending on if I have to work or not this saturday I may be out there. I'd be the guy with long black hair and a pierced lip. I just got my G23 today and I'm real itchy to shoot it.

Korey5640
07-11-2007, 20:51
Yeah, turns out I get to work this Saturday 1-9:30pm...no shooting for me. I may come out Sunday if work allows, or whenever I get my next day off(maybe even during the week since I would think it would be slower then). I have a few old computers to get rid of if anyone wants to take some shots at them. Also, I am sure that I could find some other fun stuff to take shots at.

If you ever see fat white guy with a pretty-much shaved head driving an old, POS, beat up '91 Ford Ranger(silver in color, though rust is now another primary color :animlol: ). All while firing off a G22...odds are, its me. :thumbsup:

10 Ring Tao
07-11-2007, 21:00
Video tour of the pit:

(sort of :supergrin: )

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/711919/amita_at_the_pit/

Turtle13
07-12-2007, 16:13
Yeah, turns out I get to work this Saturday 1-9:30pm...no shooting for me.

I'm in the same boat. Mandatory overtime was posted for saturday. I could go out in the morning but I don't want to...going to work spoils the whole day for me. I may come out sunday but I'm not sure. This overtime crap has got to stop. My kids will be back in school before I even get a decent amount of time with them.

brucek
07-12-2007, 18:22
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
Video tour of the pit:

(sort of :supergrin: )

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/711919/amita_at_the_pit/

Ummm.....does the AUG and the hickey have anything to do with each other? :supergrin:

--

BruceK

brucek
07-12-2007, 18:27
This weekend is out for me as I have a road job. Returning home Friday night, do my laundry, Honeydoos on Saturday. Poker Saturday night then off to NYC on Sunday for a week then 3 weeks off. Look for me one Saturday or Sunday late July with a long haired blonde teenager in tow. Dark Red F150 Super Crew.
--

BruceK

Turtle13
07-12-2007, 18:36
I'll just yell your glocktalk screen names and see if anyones there LOL.

10 Ring Tao
07-12-2007, 19:48
Originally posted by brucek
Ummm.....does the AUG and the hickey have anything to do with each other? :supergrin:

--

BruceK

AUG?

(and thats a hot brass burn that wished it were a hickey)

Originally posted by Turtle13
I'll just yell your glocktalk screen names and see if anyones there LOL.

If I'm expecting someone to be there that day, I'll just walk up and down the line saying hi to people, asking about their toys, and asking if they're from glocktalk/arfcom/online.

brucek
07-13-2007, 20:39
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
AUG?

(and thats a hot brass burn that wished it were a hickey)

If I'm expecting someone to be there that day, I'll just walk up and down the line saying hi to people, asking about their toys, and asking if they're from glocktalk/arfcom/online.

Whoops....my bad. I meant the P90. It is a P90 isn't it? :thumbsup:
--

BruceK

Korey5640
07-14-2007, 08:43
My name is my screen name(except the 5640 part) :laughabove:

Really though, shouldn't be TOO hard to find me. The truck is clear to see, and I am not to hard to spot myself, I'll be this guy: :dancing:....except not so yellow.

MakeMineaP99
07-14-2007, 21:22
I'll be at the pit tomorrow, probably late morning, I'm in MI for a few days. I always wear a camo Koontz-Wagner Electric hat, stop by and say hi if you see me.

USP45T
07-15-2007, 13:51
Was there today from 10-2. Saw a P90 and a grease gun. Didn't notice a P99 but it was busy out there. Probably my once a year trip. 71 miles away for me nowadays. I had the .22 dueling tree going and shot a little hand trap. 1st time noticing the DNR shoot safely sign but I hadn't been there since last August.

MakeMineaP99
07-15-2007, 21:47
Didn't get out there until later (6PM), but it sure was busy this evening. I believe the sign went up after the media "coverage."

Korey5640
07-15-2007, 23:00
Just checked my schedule and I am off this upcoming Saturday(First one off for a long time). Therefore, I may be heading up that way this Saturday with my G22 and some weird things to shoot at. Hopefully I can find enough Blazer Brass in the area Walmarts to make the trip worth it for me. :thumbsup:

MakeMineaP99
07-15-2007, 23:04
Just checked my schedule and I am off this upcoming Saturday(First one off for a long time). Therefore, I may be heading up that way this Saturday with my G22 and some weird things to shoot at. Hopefully I can find enough Blazer Brass in the area Walmarts to make the trip worth it for me. :thumbsup:

One word: Reload.

Trebor
07-16-2007, 00:10
For all you Pit newbies, when you go make sure you bring a bunch of heavy duty trash bags and be prepred to haul out your own trash. There are no dumpsters available normally so you'll need to pack out everything you brought in your own vehicle and dispose of it elsewhere. The neighbors are trying to shut it down and one of their arguments is how messy it gets. Keep that in mind when you decide what to shoot as well. Personally I like 2 liter pop bottles and milk jugs as they explode when full and still work as targets when emtpy. They are easy to clean up as well.

If you really want to help out, pack out more trash then you bring in, especially the really annoying stuff.

Turtle13
07-17-2007, 15:50
I'll probably end up working overtime this coming saturday again. I'm going to try and make it out on Sunday though. I got my G23 last wednesday and still haven't fired a shot from it.

I also spilled drink on my keyboard last friday so I'll be bringing that to shoot all to hell.

Didn't get out there until later (6PM), but it sure was busy this evening. I believe the sign went up after the media "coverage."

What was the media "coverage"? It was negative no doubt. It's always negative when the media covers something to do with guns.

MakeMineaP99
07-17-2007, 16:33
What was the media "coverage"? It was negative no doubt. It's always negative when the media covers something to do with guns.

In October (or there about) of last year the Lapeer paper published about the pit, with an underlying motivation to shut it down. Some guys from ARFCOM did a clean up and the signs were posted. The rhetoric seems to have died down (for now).

Some of the guys from ARFCOM attempted a clean up end of April but the DNR cannot buy so much as a paper clip, let alone a dumpster (thanks Jen). Makes me glad I'm only stuck here briefly.

Turtle13
07-20-2007, 16:13
I'll be at the pit tomorrow (Saturday) probably around noon time. Look for a pierced lip, bandana on head carrying a G23. Stop and say hi if you recognize me.

Korey5640
07-21-2007, 13:50
Unfortunately, on my one weekend off, my truck didn't want to run right last night...so she is in the shop...therefore I couldn't get to the pit...again :sad:

Turtle13
07-21-2007, 21:04
I made it out there with the wife today. Had a great time, she's a great shot. Plus I got to break in my new G23. I'm in love with it. The wife preferred 9mm but loves the feel of the G23 frame. So the math works out. 9mm + G23(frame love) = G19 for the wife.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/Urinalmynt/ThePit.jpg

coverdog
07-24-2007, 09:41
I made it out there with the wife today. Had a great time, she's a great shot. Plus I got to break in my new G23. I'm in love with it. The wife preferred 9mm but loves the feel of the G23 frame. So the math works out. 9mm + G23(frame love) = G19 for the wife.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/Urinalmynt/ThePit.jpg

WOW, that is the cleanest I have ever seen that place.

Turtle13
07-27-2007, 19:00
I thought the same thing when we got there. I did pick up all my "targets" when I was done. Sunday I should be there with the wife, we're gonna pack a couple trash bags and do our part by taking out a little extra.

MakeMineaP99
07-27-2007, 20:27
Be there tomorrow. I'll be easy to spot, I'll be in Notre Dame wear, say hi if you see me.

Turtle13
07-29-2007, 22:34
I was there on Sunday (29th). I think it was 1pm to about 3pm. Was anyone from here also there and I just missed out on properly meeting you?