Just got orders to Norflok, Va [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just got orders to Norflok, Va

TexasGlock23
07-12-2007, 15:00
to the Uss Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Anyone here been stationed there before, if so how was it?

I need help finding a place for me and my wife. We also have a 55 lbs. American Pit Bull Terrier. So far we have only found one place called the Township Apartments.

Thanks in advance

ENFR

varigger
07-12-2007, 17:04
I was on the Truman from 02'-05'. I had a great time there, but like anything else in life, it's what you make of it. Good luck.

barney-5-0
07-12-2007, 20:14
ENFR,
Get on the phone and talk to your Chief. He has all sorts of knowledge. He wil also point you in the right direction. Call the Navy Housing office as well.

DCC(SW) RET.

TexasGlock23
07-13-2007, 11:18
DCC,

Thanks. I have been emailing my ENC and ?CM. But with out my hard copy they can do very little.

ENFR

usnavy_233
07-23-2007, 06:08
Welcome to the neigborhood. I'll be back down there around November. Talk to you command's sponsor. If you don't have one yet, get in touch with the chief and get one.

Also, I've got three words for you. Military Set Aside. Look into it, it's a good deal. You may run into problems with the dog, maybe not. Sometimes it can be in your best interest to contact a rental agent in the area and check to see if anyone is renting a house in your area. A buddy of mine had renting an older house since he had a black lab and didn't want her to be couped up in an apartment. It worked out well for him until last year when he bought a home.

How long have you been in?

TexasGlock23
07-23-2007, 07:38
Thanks,

I have only been in 6 months. I am an ENFR! This will be my first command...

How long have you been in for?

truckstop cop
07-30-2007, 16:46
I was an EN1 in Reactor aux. ddo you know what dept. you are going to? I retired off the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. I lived in Newport News,Chelsea place apts. to be exact, very nice area. It was about 45 minutes from the base. One thing to remember is you are there to do a job! if you make friends that do not think that way then change friends. The way your time goes in the Navy is up to you, you can make it good or bad. Good luck to ya shipmate!!!!!

don51181
08-21-2007, 07:47
Norfolk is a nice place but the only problem is that the good and bad neighborhoods are so scattered. So drive around and donít get thrown off by the first impression. I lived in Beachwood apartments. So how do you like things so far in the Navy? We are getting back from a deployment soon. Oh one piece of advice is look into Thrift Savings Plan if you can. It is a great deal. Talk to you later.

TexasGlock23
08-21-2007, 10:50
We found a place out in Hampton. So far I can't tell you about Norfolk, I left as soon as I got here. I love the ship and the shop. I am in the Boat Shop as well as the Hydraulic shop. The NAVY? Well so far it's ok. Can't complain yet...

goldshellback
08-24-2007, 03:07
Haven't been to VA (yet)...... I've been mostly 'Left coast' until I got stationed in Kings Bay.

How are your quals coming? Get hot on your ESWS! That'll make a diffrence even if it seems pointless.

TexasGlock23
08-24-2007, 18:17
I've only been there for 10 days. No quals yet. I am still in indoc. But I am shadowing guys so that I can get a head start.