July 12 2007 Glipsc match results [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : July 12 2007 Glipsc match results

KYgundoc
07-12-2007, 19:21
Tonight’s match consisted of 5 paper targets at 15 yards. Shooter was standing freestyle from behind a barricade hands on marks on barricade. At the buzzer shooter engaged the targets from one side of the barricade 2 rounds each, Reload and engaged from other side of barricade with 2 rounds each. Scoring was Comstock and best 4 on the paper was scored.
Results
1. Dean G-35 4.890
2. Jonathan G-23 1.678
3. Claude XD-45 1.024
4. Otis. S&W99 0.000

Should we shut down for the summer with the low support we are getting? My Lead level is 43 so I need to spend less time in the range or stop shooting indoor altogether.

45gunner
07-12-2007, 20:02
Where did you get your lead level checked at?

I vote for a shutdown. It's too uncomfortable inside.

KYgundoc
07-12-2007, 20:10
Where did you get your lead level checked at?
My doctor drew blood and Labcorp tested it.

domzilla9
07-12-2007, 20:14
Awww, crap. That's reason enough to get mine checked. But then, it might be best to just not know for insurance reasons. Now that I have a SilverCreek membership I might just stop shooting indoors.

Regardless, I can't make Thursdays any time in the next three months, so my vote isn't needed.

Houngan
07-13-2007, 06:07
They've got to fix the ventilation in that bay, and there really shouldn't be dry sweeping going on during the shoots.

H.

Berretta9
07-13-2007, 07:40
I hate to see it only because it might be too hard to get started again. Whats happened to all of our regulars ? Leigh Ann, Jack, Jim ?? I missed last night myself but some of our folks have missed for weeks and weeks.

Terminator2
07-13-2007, 07:50
I would make sure we let the owner know about the ventilation if they don't already, just in case they want to fix it and not lose business...my $0.03
Jonathan

domzilla9
07-13-2007, 08:07
You can be assured that they already know about. They've known about it for two years now.

Crazy4nitro
07-13-2007, 13:43
I was not there due to having Strep.

BUT I would def. Understand a Shut-down do to low turnout.
I have not shot at any other indoor ranges But it seems the Lighting is kinda on the Poor side also. I imagine the place is running on low funds,Just a Guess...

Crazy4nitro

TreehugginGlock
07-15-2007, 10:48
It would make me very sad to see us completely shut down on Thursday nights, but I can see perhaps til September since everyone's schedules seem to be goofing up and I do agree that the ventilation needs to be addressed. It is also extremely hot in there during the summer and when it's hot and you're sweating, your body will absorb more lead indoors because your pores are open. BIR should have not invested in paint and windows before addressing the ventilation system first. I am concerned that everyone's lead levels are getting so high. Makes me want to get mine checked too. I can use my Silvercreek membership in the meantime, too.

I would have been there Thursday night but I had to meet a friend. Can't make it again next Thursday cause I will have an out of town guest through the weekend and she doesn't get into the shooting like me. I will, however, be there on Tuesday night. I need to get in some practicing and I so enjoy seeing everyone. Besides, I need to talk to Dean about some goofy stuff going on with my gun with multiple misfires. It's getting to be a major aggrevation and more frequent.

Let me know what everyone thinks. I just don't want us to completely give up on our GLIPSC group. Perhaps we can just make it the first and third Thursdays of the month til Summer's over. That could work and be less taxing on our old systems. What do you think?

cwshootersupply
07-15-2007, 13:45
I can understand high lead levels in peaple blood that's not good.
Closing for low turn out isn't what I would want ,but can understand.
I guess time will tell.
Oh my vote is continue.
CEW

Berretta9
07-15-2007, 16:30
I like Leigh Anns idea of 1st and 3rd till September or so. We could trim the price a little too or perhaps a little prize moolah like we used to do downtown.

Berretta9
07-15-2007, 16:33
As far as lead levels go, a mask would go a long way to getting that down. I know it would look stupid.

glockguy609
07-15-2007, 17:22
Sorry I've been a no-show so much but I've been covering Lexington and helping out in Nashville, and then last week I hurt my right hand (nothing serious just bent my thumb back and it was just a little sore). I hope to be there this week if I don't have to go to Ill. But yeah it gets a tad warm and seems everyone's sched is screwwy in summer, I hope we don't have to abandon altogether but then again I never know what my sched. will be these days.

fryeg7
07-16-2007, 17:54
the ventilation systems at BIR are functionally fine. they just need new filters, especially the west bay (the one HHPSI and GLIPSC shoot in). the east bay is running fine.

last i heard, win had ordered filters and is waiting for them to arrive. when that occurs, the ventilation issues will be fixed in about 5 minutes.

as for being hot in the range, that's not going to change much. the bays are not air conditioned in anyway. having more and fresher air circulating will help the way it feels tremendously, but most of the air drawn into the bays comes from outside and what little sneaks in under and around the doors and when people leave and enter the bay.

only the lobby, restrooms, classroom and offices have air conditioning.

sorry i haven't been making it out to shoot lately, but work and other commitments have been eating all my time. i do plan on going tomorrow night (tues., unless i have to work 'til almost 8 like last tues. :sad: , and checking on the filter situation. until those arrive, there is nothing i can do. win is supposed to call me when they get there.

frye

domzilla9
07-16-2007, 18:15
Originally posted by Berretta9
As far as lead levels go, a mask would go a long way to getting that down. I know it would look stupid.

"Looking stupid" might be an improvement for some of us Greg.

A mask would help. However, I think the biggest difference could be made by installing the filters and stopping the dry sweeping that occurs during matches when someone wants to retrieve their brass. Take the broom out of the bay at the start of the match and tell them that it doesn't come back in until the stage has been broken down and everything has been carried out. If someone wants their brass before the end of the match they can police it without the help of a broom.

Of course, many would say that elevated lead levels in your blood is just the price you'll pay if you shoot regularly indoors, period.

Me, I'm just taking a little break. I hope that the filters are in when I come back in the late fall.

TeamSpringfield
07-18-2007, 06:35
Hey Guys....

I know I have been MIA for a while due to alot of things. I mentioned to Dean last month that I have my daughter on a swim Team that takes up four nights a week, and I have another critically ill family member to care for. All that along with running a business and life general the time is not there.

I had a physical in June and my Lead count came in at 38. While not severe It was reccomended that I watch my exposure. It is my understanding your levels will not just go down over night once you remove yourself from the exposure of lead.

When you handle ammunition, primers, powder, and clean your weapons you are still exposed to lead. If you have a room at home that you reload in or clean your guns, with out ventilation you will have somewhat elevated levels of lead in your home.

Here is my take on the indoor matches, The summer months are historicaly slow and we have a lower attendance. Even the Tuesday night matches have been light. I know usually at the end of September you see an increase in attendance.

Is there any way we could go every other week on Thursday? Lee still has his Tuesday match that has a dedicated following. I know that some people have mentioned a bullseye league at BIR, perhaps that would give someone a chance to do that on the opposite Thursday of our league.

Another thouhgt.... We start a League that will run 12 weeks, take the best 10 scores from that run and award some type of prize or payback to the winner. We could take a portion of the match fees and put aside for the prize or prizes? Maybe donations from BIR or Glock for merchandise for prizes???

This might encourage consistant participation, and if someone could not make it one week they are still in the running for the match.

Just my thoughts and opinions, I do miss being there I hope to be back soon.

Take Care,
Jim

TreehugginGlock
07-18-2007, 10:30
The concensus is that we will be holding our Thursday night matches every other Thursday for a while. We will not be holding a match tomorrow night (the 19th) per Dean (I spoke with him last night). I do not know if we will be starting this up on the 26th or if we will be waiting until the 1st and 3rd Thursdays routine. Guess there will be some additional commentary to watch for.

Elevated lead levels in so many of our group does concern me. Hopefully Win will get those filters in ASAP or else I will have to concentrate on outdoor shooting at Silvercreek, KDPL or KAPS.

Berretta9
07-18-2007, 19:17
So we are not shooting this week ??? I would have come last night if I had known that. I was saving my free time for Thursday.

cwshootersupply
07-19-2007, 19:38
I was at range tonight. I talked to fryeg7 and he said Win had ordered filters.
I will let my buddy ED known about the schedule and I saw Otis there as well.
I sent a few rounds down range and had a blast.
See every body at next match.
CEW