View Full Version : Effectivity of Stun Guns

southplinker
07-13-2007, 00:54
Ala lang gusto ko lang pag tripan yung nasa gun show:supergrin:

Effective kaya mga yun? Sino meron?

Thanks!

Valor1
07-13-2007, 02:42
Ok lang sya. Element of surprise is the key. When you pull it out, it should immediately "touch" the assailant. Kapag pinakita mo pa yan at pinatunog, baka makaiwas pa kalaban mo. One more thing, mas ok din sya kung isa lang ang attacker.

Mas ok pa sa akin ang retractable baton. Kung trained ka, mas ok sya kahit multiple attackers. Even when the attacker is wearing heavy clothing, tingnan ko lang ang tigas ng ulo nya pag doon ko sya nahagip.;)

Ang magandang stun gun ay iyung Taser. I think wala na yata msyado nyan sa market.

vic2_187
07-13-2007, 13:33
i have one now, it was a gift, it uses one 9volt battery, the square type of battery, the box said it puts out 100,000volts. back in the states when i was high school i was hit with a stun gun, contact was on my left rear flank, nothing happened, it lasted maybe less than a second. i felt the electricty go thru my body, but i was still able to fight. hehehe

the best area to supposedly make contact with a stun gun is near the brain, so around the neck area i suppose. pr right on the head?

recently, i was showing a friend the stun gun, and he activated it on my forearm. it was very tolerable. that same day, we had a contest to see how long we tolerate the charge, my best time is 5 seconds... hehehe, contact was done on the shoulder, directly on the deltoid muscle.

as far as effectiveness, maybe the TAZER is better, cause it shoots out a projectile.
pepper spray or mace is still the best, i made sure that all the important women in my life have pepper spray. with the spray, you dont have to be up close, at a few meters its still effective.

i've been shot with tear gas also, it really sucked.... well, that's another story....

isuzu
07-13-2007, 19:12
I've seen a video of a man who was shot by three stun guns. He was a heavy-built person, and it took a while before he was subdued.

There was also news of a man who was shot by a stun gun and died. The family is suing the police agency.

rhino465
07-14-2007, 07:51
"Stun guns" typically cause varying levels of pain at the point of application and not much else. Some people will submit because of that pain, but most won't, especially if they are excited for some reason.

Tasers are a slightly different story. Current versions of the Taser apparently work as advertised (i.e. rapid incapacitation) most of the time (some will say all of the time, but I doubt it). Older versions (like what was used on Rodney King in Los Angeles in 1990s) were far, far less effective (as evidenced by the failure to subdue Rodney King after three applications, plus many other documented and reported failures).

You usually get what you pay for. A Taser will probably work well if used as intended. A "stun gun" is pretty much a toy.

southplinker
07-14-2007, 12:41
Hey thanks for everyones input... I might just get a knife or find a high pressure pepper spray then:supergrin:

CatsMeow
07-31-2007, 02:25
I wasn't impressed with the performance of the Taser. In the demonstration video at a gun show, a lady Tasered a guy simulating an assailant rushing towards her. The guy had to veer to the side in order not to run into her headlong, and it was only after this that he went down.

I also pepper-sprayed a guy near Buendia years ago who was going to take a swing at me with a piece of wood. Didn't faze him. That was when I found out how fast I could run as he chased me with a bottle. His reddened eyes didn't deter him.

That's why I now carry.

Valor1
07-31-2007, 02:44
Originally posted by CatsMeow
I also pepper-sprayed a guy near Buendia years ago who was going to take a swing at me with a piece of wood. Didn't faze him. That was when I found out how fast I could run as he chased me with a bottle. His reddened eyes didn't deter him.

That's why I now carry.

I'm glad that during two traffic altercations, my pistol punctuated a heated argument immediately. The first one was when my car was bumped in its behind by a car full of drunk workers. One attempted to pull out a bat but stopped immediately when I had my Jericho pointed to his stomach. The other one situation was when a bragging teener cut my right of way and wanted to assert his supremacy with a pipe. Pulling out a Beretta made an incredible sight. It's like first seeing a devil turning into one of Snow White's barshful dwarf.

Anyways, the Taser seems to be a good promise. It seems sometimes a person's size can be too much of a consideration.

I don't carry nowadays. I am the weapon. bwa ha ha ha. I am the master of Sayonachi.

CatsMeow
07-31-2007, 03:28
Is the new generation Taser (the one that looks like a pistol) available here? That might be more effective than the old one that looked like it came out of Star Trek.