Choice of 1911 Single stack mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Choice of 1911 Single stack mags

Valor1
07-13-2007, 21:22
What do you guys prefer? I like Wilson Combat and Novak/Mec-Gar/ACT mags supplied with the Armscor pistols. I find the design of their followers as very reliable and durable. I also find the above mags easy to clean. Smooth din yung internals.

I also like the CMC mags kaya lang there is a gunstore selling fakes kaya ayoko muna. No problem with them kaya lang baka kasi mahaluan ako ng fake.

jerrytrini
07-13-2007, 23:02
Here are what I observed first hand:

Desert Storm Marine Recon Platoon carried Colt 45s with Colt mags. There was an LTC with them who had a 92FS with a lanyard.

LAPD SWAT (old school pre-Kimber) carried Colts with SS Wilson Mags

LAPD SWAT Kimber 45s with Kimber mags.

McCormick mags however have been popular with 45 shooters since Chip became a US champion.

If you are looking for a 10 rounder, may I suggest the CMCs.
For the 7 or 8 rounders I would go for the Wilsons.

Just my experience and 2 cents.

mikol
07-13-2007, 23:32
Originally posted by jerrytrini
If you are looking for a 10 rounder, may I suggest the CMCs.
yup the best so far for me.:thumbsup:
haven't experience any problem yet sa CMC 10rndr mags ko.:)
fits well, ejects well & always push the slide stop to hold the slide locked if the mags is already empty. never had any FTF's either.

bulm540
07-14-2007, 06:39
Wilson 10 rounders are pretty good too.

bertud ng putik
07-14-2007, 06:51
chip mccormick 10 rnds for me...

rhino465
07-14-2007, 07:46
In my experience with 8rd 1911 .45ACP magazines, I've had the best results with CMC Power Mags. Second best have been the Wilsons. Third is the older CMM "Shooting Star" magazines, although they work flawlessly in a lot of guns.

For 10rd mags, it's a tossup between CMC Power Mags and Wilson.

I use 8rd Power mags for my carry guns. I use a mix of Power Mags and Wilson for shooting matches.

isuzu
07-14-2007, 19:14
I've had good results with both brands. The Wilson 7 rounders are the most reliable, IMO. I also had Shooting Star spring/follower kits that were installed on my old GI tubes. They were also good.

There are quite a number of 1911 9mm owners discovering Metalform Mags. It is said that the mags were designed by Rob Leatham. They have an indentation at the front of the mag and an extended "lip" on the front area to aid in feeding. They are the factory mags of Springfield 9mms.

Valor1
07-14-2007, 19:46
I read somewhere that Metalform is supplying magazines for Colt. I've also tried Cobra Mags by Virgil Tripp. They are very good. Wala lang importer nyan sa Pinas.

vega
07-14-2007, 23:39
Kaso nga takot siya sa CMC dahil may nagbebenta ng fake.
Is that the gunstore in Mandaluyong?

I have positive experience with CMC 10 rds, Mecgar 8 rds and factiry SA 7 rds.

isuzu
07-15-2007, 01:41
Originally posted by vega
I have positive experience with CMC 10 rds, Mecgar 8 rds and factiry SA 7 rds.

Vega,

Are your Mec-Gars blued or nickel plated? I've had a bad experience with nickel plated Mec-Gar mags. All of them cracked on both rear sides. The blued ones didn't.

isuzu
07-15-2007, 01:44
Originally posted by Valor1
I read somewhere that Metalform is supplying magazines for Colt.

There's a new article on the M1911.org's E-zine where they tested Colt's Special Combat Government in .38 Super and the pistol was supplied with Metalforms.

vega
07-15-2007, 09:45
isuzu - Blued.

Mang Danny
07-15-2007, 12:31
I have Metalforms, Wilsons, and "High Standard" brands from Midway Usa. All of them have not given me any problems yet. I have since replaced all the followers and springs with Wilsons, as they are all high round count.

I have yet to try Tripp Research magazines, masyadong mahal! The Mec-Gars look promising.

isuzu
07-15-2007, 16:47
Originally posted by vega
isuzu - Blued.

Thanks!:)

Alexii
07-15-2007, 19:04
I've used Wolff 7-rounders with zero problems. Planning to buy Wilson's from Twin Pines.

darwin25
07-15-2007, 20:19
Too bad for me. Most of the .45 8-rounders from CMC and Mecgar and 10-rounders from CMC that I tried are always giving me a problem. The bullets always does a nose-dive on the first round when fully loaded to capacity when I rack the slide. But when I load them to just 7-rounds, they all function flawlessly. After several mags and thousands of petots, I'm willing to try Wilson 8-rounders. If it still fails me, I'll just stick to 7-rounders. They are the most reliable for me.

For my single stack 9mm, Mecgar 9-rounder functions flawlessly.

isuzu
07-15-2007, 20:28
Originally posted by darwin25
Too bad for me. Most of the .45 8-rounders from CMC and Mecgar and 10-rounders from CMC that I tried are always giving me a problem. The bullets always does a nose-dive on the first round when fully loaded to capacity when I rack the slide. But when I load them to just 7-rounds, they all function flawlessly. After several mags and thousands of petots, I'm willing to try Wilson 8-rounders. If it still fails me, I'll just stick to 7-rounders. They are the most reliable for me.

For my single stack 9mm, Mecgar 9-rounder functions flawlessly.

Try having the feedramp checked. Also happened to my Norinco. I first thought it was caused by the magazines. The gunsmith reshaped and polished the feedramp. The magazines functioned without a hitch after that.

sandman_sy
07-16-2007, 20:38
Tripp 9 rounder .40 cal for me. After the reramping, no more prob. Thanx you Sir Dick for the great job!:)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x302/sandman_sy/TrojanPosing.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x302/sandman_sy/TrojanMagwellFront.jpg

Fits beautifully on our standard box.

sandman_sy
07-16-2007, 20:38
Holy crap dats big. sorry. ang laki ng picture.

Kingsun
07-16-2007, 20:55
"I have yet to try Tripp Research magazines, masyadong mahal!"

Hinde ka magsisi.. I like Tripp and Wilsons. They also sell upgrade springs/followers.