Two new experiences - wrist surgery and a Kwak 650R [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two new experiences - wrist surgery and a Kwak 650R

ndbullet500
07-15-2007, 01:37
After my collision with a car a month ago, I didn't feel too bad considering how hard I hit. Well, the left wrist got worse instead of better, so off to the Orthopedic Doc. Hmmm, symptoms showed a fractured scaphoid, but the x-rays didn't, so off to get an MRI. MRI indicated a torn ligament between the Scaphoid and Lunar bones - not good, as over time the thumb will collapse into the palm, basically until the thumb is about touching the base of the pinky finger.

So long story short, after my conversation last Friday, "Come in Monday for surgery," and surgery on Monday, looks ok in the long run. The amount of grief I got from work is another story, that I am REALLY pissed about. On Monday there was less than an hour between me leaving my office and being under general anesthesia, but hey, I must be slacking off. And how DARE I go to the doctor after surgery for a follow-up visit. Grrrr. And how dare I miss PART of Tuesday...it was just wrist surgery, who cares if it did mean 2 hours in a surgical suite with a breathing tube down my throat.

That's what I get for not whining about how something hurts. But at least I looked cool after surgery...see:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/PICT1041.jpg

Anyway, I did get a new motorcycle. Rode it about 250 miles before surgery, tried today, but my wrist wasn't quite ready for that. It's a Kawasaki 650R. Really more of a faired standard than a sportbike, but it looks fast. A nice, tourqey machine. Very comfortable to ride. A heck of a lot of bang for the buck.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/PICT1047.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/PICT1046.jpg

USMCsilver
07-15-2007, 08:10
I feel your pain.

I had surgery for a popped bicep tendon on May 16th and I still am not 100% and a bike isn't comfortable.

You'll get there; it just takes time... :thumbsup:

oldgraywolf
07-15-2007, 09:00
I wish you a full recovery and a return to two wheels asap. It's good that you didn't get hurt any worse in your crash.

Seems to me that your new bike (nice choice, by the way) will stress your wrists less than a sportbike.

FoxMustang
07-15-2007, 11:20
Get well soon, and enjoy the new bike. Looks sharp! :thumbsup:

fnfalman
07-17-2007, 08:33
Get well soon and put some miles on the new baby!!!

That 650R looks rather sharp with the red color, but I still think that it looks best naked, what's with the funky frame and rear shock and all.

ndbullet500
07-17-2007, 09:46
Thanks, guys.

Fnfalman, I'm with you on the naked version, very Japanese looking. I just didn't want to move to Europe to get one. The fairing makes it look a little more boy-racer than I really like (as does "Ninja" on the sides), but the windscreen makes it nicer at speed. It also results in people making "crotch rocket" comments - a 12 second 1/4 mile isn't really slow, but pure acceleration isn't what this bike is about.

The only things I don't really like: (1.) Looking at my elbows in the mirrors, which is even more frustrating because they are steady and usable, just don't stick out far enough from that narrow fairing. (2.) Lack of adjustability in the suspension. Only pre-load in the rear is adjustable. It's actually pretty decent overall, showing its compromises mainly on really flinty pavement.

I like it better than my CB750 so far, except maybe for overall size. Ergos are perfect for me, I wouldn't be surprised if they used 5'8"-5'9" as the standard rider size during design. And that removable hard case makes it a pretty darn practical machine. It fits what I was looking for pretty well - a fun, practical, everyday rider. And for not a lot of $.

DaisyCutter
07-17-2007, 10:17
ND, can you give me the low-down on that luggage rack? I've been considering replacing the grab handles on the ZRX with some kind of rack device.

ndbullet500
07-17-2007, 12:53
That's a Kawasaki OEM rack, specifically designed to fit the ER6 (what the rest of the world calls the Ninja 650R). It bolts on in place of the grab handles that Kawasaki deleted for the US market. It said ER6 on the packaging, unless the dimensions are the same for the grab handles, it won't fit for sure. It might be pretty hard to find one in the US anyway. Most 650s with hard cases use Givis, have you checked to see if they have something that would that fit the ZRX?

marsturm
07-17-2007, 20:09
I wish you a speedy recovery from your injury. Excellent choice in motorcycles! I chose the red one also. I like the fairing for the weather protection, at this point in my life appearance is not that important.