problem playing dvds with vista [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : problem playing dvds with vista

bandit99
07-15-2007, 08:51
I just put together a new pc with vista premium 32bit. It is an amd 3600x2 with 2gigs of ram and nvidia 7025 integrated graphics. I cannot get dvds to play properly with windows media player or windows media center. I can hear sound but the video shows up with a green screen. I installed the latest trial version of nero and dvds play fine through it. I new to vista so I need some ideas on what to. Please don't tell me to get another os ;) Should I try other software like roxio? Thanks

kimigirl
07-16-2007, 02:02
It might have to do with a driver incompatibility with the video card. When Vista first came out, people were trying to play games and the driver would have a conflict and kill the game. What kind of video card?

bandit99
07-16-2007, 07:06
The video card is a nvidia geforce 7025 that's integrated on the motherboard. Here is a link to the board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138074

Windows update says the pc is current.

kimigirl
07-16-2007, 14:59
Vista was having issues with Nvidia cards specifically. I'd say check Nvidia's website for an update. I think they have it out now. My Vista machine does not have an Nvidia card and it works perfectly with movies, although to be fair I have not tried games on there yet. So try loading the new driver.

Washington,D.C.
07-16-2007, 15:14
If DVD's play fine with other software it sounds like the Nvidia video card and drivers are okay. It sounds more like a lack of DVD codecs.

EAJuggalo
07-16-2007, 17:01
I would agree with the codecs except that Media Center should have shipped with the codecs needed to play DVD's, Mpeg and WMV right out of the box. And in my experience Vista has done well getting any codecs it needs out of other programs, so if it played at all it should play through WMP and Media Center.

bandit99
07-16-2007, 19:13
Thanks for the responses so far. I went to the nvidia website and found a newer driver and installed it but I still get a green screen when I play dvds through media player. I also found a microsoft website that clearly stated that vista premium and ultimate come with the codecs for plaing dvds. I'm almost thinking about reinstalling vista. Does microsoft offer any tech support for oem versions?

Bronson7
07-17-2007, 16:14
Have you tried VLC media player? It's free.
Bronson7

najaboy
07-18-2007, 15:31
Are you certain it's Home Premium? The reason I ask is that not all versions of Vista install with a MPEG-2 decoder.

You may want to try installing a codec pack, such as the Vista Codec Pack or the K-Lite Codec Pack.