Family Tradition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Family Tradition

M1 SUPER 90
07-15-2007, 12:04
How many people are carrying on the family business of being a firefighter?

I myself am a 3rd generation volunteer firefighter. At one time my grandfather, father, and I were on the same department.

My grandfather retired after 33 and 1/2 years as Chief.
My father retired after 20 years as a Captain.
And myself I'm working on year 12.

One Sunday after noon about 2 weeks after my grandfather retired; we were all having lunch together and the fire pagers went off for a structure fire! My grandfather started started calling out where the best plug to hook to was at. He misses it so much.:ffighter:

RyanNREMTP
07-15-2007, 13:03
I kinda considered myself a 3rd generation firefighter. Thou it went the odd round about way. My father was a volunteer FF as was I and my grandfather on my mother's side fought forest fires in Montana years ago.

If any of my kids become firefighters I won't be upset.

DepChief
07-15-2007, 13:08
I am the first member of my family ever to go into the fire service, but my younger brother joined up a few years after I did. He now works for the Virginia Dept. of Emergency Management but I think he misses riding an engine.

FirNaTine
07-15-2007, 19:17
Fourth generation in the same volunteer company. First one to go full time, although my dad was a full time firefighting instructor for a while.

Motown Fire
07-16-2007, 20:59
3rd Generation career firefighter here.......... Dad has about 30 years in.

FirNaTine
07-17-2007, 07:12
Originally posted by FirNaTine
Fourth generation in the same volunteer company. First one to go full time, although my dad was a full time firefighting instructor for a while.

I should clarify, I work full time for a different department than I started as a volunteer.

4095fanatic
07-17-2007, 12:11
[i]

One Sunday after noon about 2 weeks after my grandfather retired; we were all having lunch together and the fire pagers went off for a structure fire! My grandfather started started calling out where the best plug to hook to was at. He misses it so much.:ffighter: [/B]

Shoulda just told him to jump on. I have a standing offer available to any retired firefighters that a jump seat's always open on the truck :).

nam02G
07-18-2007, 10:33
I guess I could be considered a second generation ff. Back in the 50's my father did wildland firefighting to pay his way through college. He even did a summer or two as a smoke jumper in Montana.