Please advise Great choice in a knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please advise Great choice in a knife

MTHall49
07-15-2007, 16:49
I am looking for both myself and a friend, for a very sturdy,
work horse, folding knife with a Tanto style blade.
Any of you have one to recommend with around a 4 inch blade?

For a fixed blade I was consider the Ka-Bar Tanto edge, with about 8 inch length. Is KaBar in general still popular with the Marines?

I wanted to be one of you, but eyesight kept me out. Uncle, Cousin, and friends got in though.

Semper Fi brothers.

chadb1019
07-16-2007, 20:43
yeah the k-bar has a lot, LOT of history with the Marine Corps. It is an awsome fighting/untility knife. I think when I was getting out in 2005, they were actually changing to another type. Actually I think it may have been just the bayonet that is getting a change. I dunno.

Marine8541
07-17-2007, 00:58
While KA-Bars aren't POS they are definately a knife for a budget. On the originals the wood handle was so weak that if you used the butt end as a hammer you'd risk breaking it and the finish wore off quickly. The new KA-Bars called the D2's and the next gens are better with a molded handle and a way better finish that resists wear and abuse better and hold an edge longer. If you get a K Bar get the new Kydex sheath for it will last way longer than leather.

For the same money you can get a way better knife in the LMF II from gerber. http://www.onlygerberknives.com/Gerber-Knives-01.html