I want to build a Goldwing cafe racer, gimme suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a Goldwing cafe racer, gimme suggestions

Romulas
07-15-2007, 19:35
Thats it, I want to buy a 1rst gen goldwing and turn it into a cafe racer, gimme ideas. Drag bars, bobbed tail, loud pipes, no bags, no fairing, no trailer, maybe geared lower. Gimme some input!

ndbullet500
07-15-2007, 20:10
If you are really serious about it, go to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio in a couple of weeks. I don't know how much 1st gen stuff there was aftermarket, but that's where you can find it. Probably at the event in Alabama too at Barber. I know that some parts are hard to find, but I'm not into naked GWs, just remember some old cats discussing them around a campfire.

Interesting idea, but that is going to be one heavy pig of a cafe racer, I bet almost 600lbs even after you would slim it down. Ace bars on a heavy bike like that might not work too well, especially at low speeds. But you never know until you try - I'd love to see what happens. It would at least probably look very cool if executed well. It CAN be done:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/lars_octane_gl1000.sized.jpg

Check out nakedgoldwings.com and see if you can get any ideas. They will probably hunt you down if you butcher an intact naked GW for this project though!

Ljunatic
07-15-2007, 20:15
are you looking for a running GL1000 or a builder?

Osiris
07-15-2007, 20:16
Wow!!!
Thats purtty.

:)

Romulas
07-15-2007, 21:05
Originally posted by Ljunatic
are you looking for a running GL1000 or a builder?

looking for a running 1000, or 1100. Under 50K.

I know its a pig, but I like it.
Imagine it! An 1100 cafe wing! Gear it and tune it and you have a gold wing cafe rocket, oh its gonna be some work I tell ya.

Tennessee Slim
07-15-2007, 22:06
Originally posted by Romulas
Thats it, I want to buy a 1rst gen goldwing and turn it into a cafe racer, gimme ideas....
Cut back on the crystal meth?

Ralphumor
07-16-2007, 17:57
I dont think that I am wrong but I believe the original idea of the Wing was a hot rod. Big 1100 CC motor. The touring parts were all done by Joe consumer and Vetter. I believe I heard this on the History Channel. Forgive me if I am preaching to the quire or I am just way wrong. :supergrin:

HollowHead
07-16-2007, 21:19
Originally posted by Ralphumor
I dont think that I am wrong but I believe the original idea of the Wing was a hot rod. Big 1100 CC motor. The touring parts were all done by Joe consumer and Vetter. I believe I heard this on the History Channel. Forgive me if I am preaching to the quire or I am just way wrong. :supergrin:

Agreed. The first generation was lean and mean. I believe that Honda saw all the crap that the public was clamping on and eventually turned it into the Lay-Z-Boy that it is today. I think they tried to resurrect it with the Valkyre but it just never sold because of the lack of an altimeter and a coffee-maker. HH

sdsnet
07-16-2007, 21:22
What about using a Valkerie ?

oldgraywolf
07-17-2007, 06:11
I had one of the original (1975) Goldwings and ran it naked (the bike, not me) for much of a summer. Suspension was generally pretty crummy in those days, but that bike was a riot. I ended up helping Craig Vetter make car payments because my reason for buying the bike was cross-country travel and I needed dry storage and weather protection.

epsylum
07-17-2007, 07:08
Originally posted by HollowHead
Agreed. The first generation was lean and mean. I believe that Honda saw all the crap that the public was clamping on and eventually turned it into the Lay-Z-Boy that it is today. I think they tried to resurrect it with the Valkyre but it just never sold because of the lack of an altimeter and a coffee-maker. HH

They still make the Valkyre but call it the Valkyre Rune and it looks like a cartoon bike now.

My brother has had an idea about turning either a Rune or 1800 Goldwing into a streetbike shootout drag bike. There wouldn't be much left of it, but that 1800cc H-6 with two turbos hanging off of it and the low center of gravity would be pretty mean. With all the work he had done on Goldwings he did conclude that to build the engine like that it would take some major custom machine work.

SBM
07-17-2007, 07:27
Dont get me wrong...but the Rune was only built in 2004...

epsylum
07-17-2007, 15:57
Originally posted by SBM
Dont get me wrong...but the Rune was only built in 2004...

Huh. I guess you are right. It was still on Honda's website as of a few months ago (they updated it since then apparently). I remeber showing my buddy it on there showing him how expensive and ugly it is.

Oh well. I remember when they came out. Honda forced them onto the dealers. You had to buy a Rune which would sit and collect dust to get your order of Shadow 750s which would sell as soon as they showed up.

Ralphumor
07-17-2007, 20:27
Originally posted by HollowHead

When I was ridding last week a fella (he was ridding a valkyrie interstate. Hard faring and radio and bags)advised us that the engineer of the valkyrie died and Honda really was not into the bike so they let it die as well. He also said that Honda did not give the engineer much backing and the bikes finish(parts not fitting together well. Borrowed stuff from other bikes) suffered some. I always thought that the Valkyrie cut into the Goldwing sales so they made the Rune and I think most of us would agree is a UGLY duck. A ridding buddy of mine has one and it is an AWSOME machine. 6 individual pipes just ROAR of course he wears ear plugs on the interstate. One of us is right. All are good possibilities.

beemerphile
07-17-2007, 20:38
Originally posted by oldgraywolf
I had one of the original (1975) Goldwings and ran it naked (the bike, not me) for much of a summer. Suspension was generally pretty crummy in those days, but that bike was a riot. I ended up helping Craig Vetter make car payments because my reason for buying the bike was cross-country travel and I needed dry storage and weather protection.

Pretty much my story. By serial number, mine was the 283rd GL1000 in the United States. Had crap for a suspension and a hinge in the middle of the frame. I became convinced that the engineers should have spent less time on the computer and more time riding bikes. I sold it in 1977 and bought a BMW R100RS.

RE: the GL1000 cafe racer, it would be like a pig in a ballet tutu.

Romulas
07-18-2007, 22:48
I'm not going to use a valkarie, way more parts out there for the wing. Drag bars may not be the answer, but something slightly wider than what you find on a modern sport bike should be completely manageable. You just have to watch it in the parking lots. Corbin makes a nice short seat and the rest is hacking stuff off and paint, I think. Once I find the right bike the project is going to take off. I'm not sure what to do about pipes. I have heard of guys using ducati stuff, but the thing needs to sound right. It's an opposed 4, so it needs to sound unique. Gimme a couple months to get going on this and I will post an update, I love the pic posted above!

hotlunch
07-25-2007, 20:08
Isn't the first GEN Goldwing the one with the stator problem? I thought about getting one a few years back but passed on the one I saw because the stealership couldn't tell me much about the whole stator/alternator issue. They seemed to know less than I did so I chose not to pay for something that might require alot of money to "fix" down the road.