Cops seize guns with no proof that they were illegal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cops seize guns with no proof that they were illegal

atimetobuild
07-16-2007, 04:23
KPLC segment w/ neighbors interviews (http://www.kplctv.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipid1=1535782&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=Tip+Launches+Illegal+Guns+Investigation&d1=133266&redirUrl=www.kplctv.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage)

Grrr. I wish I could get ahold of the guy whose weapons got took so I could help him turn this into a payday.

:steamed:

onikus
07-17-2007, 01:04
is it even legal for a search based simply on a phone call saying "I think this guy has illegal guns" ?

I mean if the same person called the police and said "I think this guy has some drugs in his house" would they do a full search of his house just because of one phone call ?

atimetobuild
07-17-2007, 01:09
Naturally, the correct answer is "Hell, no, you can't search my premesis."

LSP972
07-17-2007, 05:28
Originally posted by atimetobuild
Naturally, the correct answer is "Hell, no, you can't search my premesis."

I imagine they had a warrant.

But the part about the guns being taken back to HQ to determine their status is disturbing. It shows one of two things (or perhaps both)... incredible ignorance on the part of who made that decision; and/or political grandstanding.

As for legal recourse to the citizen... he might win a suit, and he might not. Anyone who thinks that our justice system is totally fair and unbiased is in serious need of a reality check.

Despite the enaction of new laws specifically prohibiting such activity, that moron Nagin has publicly stated that he'll seize guns again, given another Katrina scenario. And no one will buck him, because it would be politically incorrect to do so. He'll play the race card so fast, anyone citing constitutional issues will be drowned out by the media uproar.

My point being, there is no level of common sense on this topic. Dangerous idiots like Nagin flourish because of folks who vote for what he is; not who he is. The Lafayette PD official who ordered the round-up may be similarly afflicted with self-righteousness; or just plain stupid.

Hard to tell... the conditions are similar in their symptoms.

bassman-dan
07-18-2007, 20:32
I work with a relative of the guy who got his guns seized.
The "anonymous" tip came from the guys wife who is raking him over the coals in a nasty divorce. She gave the cops permission to enter their property & search as a way of punishing her hubby. Its sad since none of the guns are hot and the cops treated them like stacks of lumber. They still have them.
Many of the guns belong to other family members who had their homes destroyed by hurricane Rita. They left them at this guys house because he has a big safe.
Long, nasty story typical of many divorces. Guy is getting hosed- Big Time.

BayouSlide
07-18-2007, 20:43
Originally posted by LSP972
The Lafayette PD official who ordered the round-up may be similarly afflicted with self-righteousness; or just plain stupid.

From the clip it was Calcasieu Parish, which is Lake Charles, not Lafayette.

Pretty amazing: the "experts" among the neighbors for whom "big magazines" = "automatic weapons".

LSP972
07-19-2007, 20:03
Originally posted by BayouSlide
From the clip it was Calcasieu Parish, which is Lake Charles, not Lafayette.

So it is. I saw "Lafayette" somewhere; maybe on another board.

onikus
07-19-2007, 23:01
has there been any update on this ?

bassman-dan
07-20-2007, 03:18
According to a friend of the family, the Calcasieu S.O. still has the guys guns and said that it may take them another month or more to "run" them all.
The ignorance of the deputies at the scene was amazing for example:
One deputy was handling a .22 caliber pellet rifle and couldn't figure out how to unload the "22 bullets" (it wasn't loaded). He didn't know a .22 pellet rifle from a .22 rimfire.
That was pretty typical and that's O.K. unless you start handling firearms when you have no idea how to do so in a safe manner.
Fortunately, most of the family had already removed their better firearms after the hurricane and before the marriage went south.

atimetobuild
07-20-2007, 09:44
I sent an email to the NRA Grassroots Coordinator for our State to see if she can get any of the NRA's clout involved. I will keep you posted (she get's backed up on her replies some times, so it might be next week before I have an update).

atimetobuild
07-20-2007, 13:21
I met with Wayne LaPierre (director of the NRA) today, and briefly explained the situation to him. He asked me to get him as much info as I can on the situation, so they can get involved, if the situation is as it seems.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ANYONE WHO HAS MORE INFO ABOUT THIS SITUATION LET ME KNOW AS MUCH AS THEY CAN. (Sorry for yelling, I just really want to help this guy out)

You may email me (via my profile), or call 877-LA CARRY. If anyone can get ahold of the man whose guns were seized, and have him call me directly, that would be preferred.

Thanks.

bassman-dan
07-20-2007, 20:05
Originally posted by atimetobuild
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ANYONE WHO HAS MORE INFO ABOUT THIS SITUATION LET ME KNOW AS MUCH AS THEY CAN. (Sorry for yelling, I just really want to help this guy out)

I will check with the family on Monday to see if they want their personal info passed on but I doubt it.
The whole mess is really a civil matter between the gun owner and his soon to be ex-wife.

bassman-dan
07-23-2007, 19:15
After paying a mouthpiece $1000, the gun owner got all of his guns back from the Sheriff's Dept.
Moral of the story: A poor choice of spouse can take away your rights even faster than Hilary Clinton.

Blitzer
07-23-2007, 19:35
Originally posted by bassman-dan
After paying a mouthpiece $1000, the gun owner got all of his guns back from the Sheriff's Dept.
Moral of the story: A poor choice of spouse can take away your rights even faster than Hilary Clinton.

And people ask why I never married? :shocked: :sad: :upeyes: