RAID drive help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RAID drive help

havensal
07-16-2007, 06:10
OK our server is showing a failure of drive 0. It is on a RAID 5 array. I talked with Tech support, but they want me to power down the server. That would upset A LOT of people. I ran into this same issue a few years ago. If I remember correctly all I had to do is pull out the drive and re-insert it and then remount it or something along those lines. I am really leery of just pulling it out without knowing what will happen. The main reason I am hesitating is that the indicator lights on the drive show that it is powered up and appears to have activity, as the second light flashes intermittently.

Anybody here have much experience with RAID arrays?

Is it safe to just pull one of the drives out?

Here is what we are running.

Three physical drives.
Raid 5 array.
I am seeing the failure using Megaraid Power Control Plus.
Explorer shows two drives, C for the OS and D for data.
We are running Win Server 2000, if that matters.
It is a Gateway server, 960MS

Thanks. :)

Singlemalt
07-16-2007, 06:46
You are running RAID 5, correct? 3 disks?

If so, the you have disks 0, 1 and 2. Thing is, you do not have to power down the server to replace the drive. You just simply remove the bad drive and insert a new drive to take over.

At that point the system picks up the drive and will do the necessary work to integrate the drive into the array.

havensal
07-16-2007, 06:54
I was thinking that. Thanks. I'll try it.

tous
07-16-2007, 07:13
Originally posted by Singlemalt
You are running RAID 5, correct? 3 disks?

If so, the you have disks 0, 1 and 2. Thing is, you do not have to power down the server to replace the drive. You just simply remove the bad drive and insert a new drive to take over.

At that point the system picks up the drive and will do the necessary work to integrate the drive into the array.

This assumes that the HDDs that make up the RAID are hot-swappable. SCSI and SAS drives can be hot-swapped. ATA drives cannot.

If it's an adult server, it likely has SCSI HDDs and as noted, just open the RAID door, pull out the failing drive, insert a new one (try to get the same brand and same size ... that's what Gateway certified the server with) and the RAID controller will recreate the RAID.

Good luck, mi amigo.

havensal
07-16-2007, 07:18
I just pulled it out and re-inserted it. I am rebuilding it now.

Maybe now I can convince the owner to pony up and get a new server. :thumbsup:

tous
07-16-2007, 07:27
Originally posted by havensal

<--- loves servers :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: racks and racks o' servers! :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

For Microsoft server products, insist on nothing less than dual Woodcrest Xeons. They have the best price/performance right now and that should give you a solid upgrade path and a good 5 years of server goodness.

Eschew AMD for now. They're still catching up.

Did I mention that I love servers? Racks and racks o' servers? :supergrin:

havensal
07-16-2007, 07:51
I don't think we need racks of 'em. We only have 30 workstations hooked to ours. It is basically just a data server, all app's are run locally. A little more experience with 'em and I may like them as much as you. ;) :)

Tennessee Slim
07-16-2007, 07:54
Originally posted by havensal

Good plan. If the LEDs on the HDD itself show normal, or if the different monitoring softwares disagree about the drive being failed, I always remove it and plug it right back in. And make sure I have a suitable replacement on hand.

stooxie
07-21-2007, 11:00
Originally posted by tous

Eschew AMD for now. They're still catching up.

Absolute and unmitigated rubbish. But, why start a fight...

-Stooxie

Singlemalt
07-21-2007, 11:04
Originally posted by stooxie
Absolute and unmitigated rubbish. But, why start a fight...

-Stooxie

A VERY big +1.

Edit: Agreeing with your opinion of AMD.