Hotel/Inn identical in FL? CCW legality questions (No CCW permit yet) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hotel/Inn identical in FL? CCW legality questions (No CCW permit yet)

passive101
07-17-2007, 15:03
Is an Inn the same as a Hotel in FL? I am staying at an Inn currently by the beach. It is an open area. Is this By reading the laws I can ccw in my room without issues OR go outside on the property?

I can also sign a 6 mo lease here without issues and use it as my residence.

It is a U shaped building. In the area outside there is a fountain with giant gold fish, a patio area, and a gas grill which everyone is allowed to cook on.

Sorry for such a confusing question, but there are a LOT of questionable people who walk in front of our place and sometimes come in our patio (center) area. After the sun begins to set it gets worse sometimes. I'd like to have it while we're cooking outside and just enjoying the night and weather here.

If it is illegal to do so, I of course will not until my permit is issued.

LurkMastR
07-17-2007, 17:01
I believe that carrying inside your room at the inn/hotel isn't a problem. Once you step outside, then you are probably on "public" or "common area", and carrying there without a permit could get you in trouble.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me. :supergrin:

Gmountain
07-17-2007, 19:06
Originally posted by LurkMastR
I believe that carrying inside your room at the inn/hotel isn't a problem. Once you step outside, then you are probably on "public" or "common area", and carrying there without a permit could get you in trouble.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me. :supergrin:

You are exactly right. Carry in your room is okay, because a hotel room is considered an extension of your house.

Without a permit, you are in violation of the law carrying outside your room.

passive101
07-17-2007, 21:18
How would it work for an apartment building? Would an Inn that is leased be the same as a hotel, inn, or apartment?

Mr. Blandings
07-17-2007, 21:54
passive101,

Regardless of whether it is an inn, a hotel or an apartment complex; rented or leased - simply put, if anyone else has as much right to be in the area you are asking about (courtyard, walkway, hallway, laundry room, pool area, etc..) then it is considered a "common area". To lawfully carry concealed in a "common area" requires a concealed carry permit.

If the area you are asking about is exclusively for your private use (such as an enclosed back patio, fenced in yard area, or some other area that has restricted access that is specifically for the use of one unit/apartment/room) then you can lawfully carry concealed in that area without a concealed carry permit.

Get a darn permit! It really saves so many problems and headaches.

Also, get Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership (http://floridafirearmslaw.com/indexbook.shtml). It has the answers to questions like this from a fairly well respected authority.

beer goggles
07-20-2007, 07:00
Originally posted by Mr. Blandings
passive101,

Also, get Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership (http://floridafirearmslaw.com/indexbook.shtml). It has the answers to questions like this from a fairly well respected authority.

+1 on this. I just got my copy and it is a definite must have for any firearm owner in Florida. If you buy it direct from Gutmacher you will even get it autographed.

Floodster
07-20-2007, 18:30
I always wondered when I lived in FL (pre-CCW) if I could get in trouble for transporting "concealed" handguns in my range bag from my apartment down to my vehicle. "Technically" they're concealed because they weren't visible to the public, but open carry is banned. Same thing when transporting the guns to/from vehicle and a shooting facility. Anyone know about this in FL?

Gmountain
07-20-2007, 19:46
Originally posted by Floodster
I always wondered when I lived in FL (pre-CCW) if I could get in trouble for transporting "concealed" handguns in my range bag from my apartment down to my vehicle. "Technically" they're concealed because they weren't visible to the public, but open carry is banned. Same thing when transporting the guns to/from vehicle and a shooting facility. Anyone know about this in FL?

Yes, against the law. It's a flaw in the law that should be fixed.

Floodster
07-20-2007, 19:49
Originally posted by Gmountain
Yes, against the law. It's a flaw in the law that should be fixed.

Yup, sort of like here in Connecticut. Our permit only says "State permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers". Nowhere does it say concealed. Open carry isn't "technically" banned (nothing in the law), but very few want to push that issue. My concern is the permit not having the term "concealed" anywhere on it. Ya never know in ultra-lib NE land... :upeyes: