Tactical EMS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical EMS

ronin16
07-17-2007, 20:56
Any one out there active as a SWAT Medic for your local or county agencies? I will be attending a POST Certified SWAT Medic class this coming Oct and would like any info or feedback from experienced member's. I'm proficient with the pistol and SMG . I have also been a full-time paramedic with a FD for over three years. Just trying to broaden my horizons and gain more experience . Any info would greatly be appreciated !!!!!Thanks in advanced for your time!!! Take care out there and be safe!

boarsblood
07-19-2007, 15:58
I know it's a ways off but please be sure and tell us how the class goes and what it was like. I will be looking for something similar in early winter 08.

Stormingheaven
08-03-2007, 07:22
I’ve been a full time Paramedic now for 18 years and worked as a TEMS supervisor on a Sheriff’s Department SWAT team.

My advice would be to spend some time looking around to find yourself a good TEMS program. I would recommend you look into one of Blackwater’s programs.

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/

These people really know their stuff and they have walked the walk in fun and sunny places like Afghanistan and Iraq. The classes are a bit on the pricey side but the experience and education you’ll get there is second to none. You’ll meet some amazing people and train at one of the finest training facilities in the world. Blackwater won’t take just anyone that wants to train there. You will need to provide references and I believe submit to a criminal background check. Their application process is described on the website. If you apply to work on SWAT or an ERT they will certainly take notice that you trained at Blackwater.

There are a number of TEMS classes that are put on around the country that are less than creditable. Many are put on by Paramedic ERT wanna be’s and are at best a waste of time and money. Spend some time really research a program before you get involved in one.

Also if you’re not currently a LEO I would recommend that at the very least you get into a reserve officers class. They are put on at any number of community collages and can provide you with the basics of law enforcement.

Make sure you’re in good physical shape.

Anyway good luck and be safe.

RyanNREMTP
08-03-2007, 13:32
The team I'm on will be attending a class next spring. By that time we will have been on a SWAT team for a year. It's something completely different and I enjoy it.

Practice, train, practice, train and get in shape.