Houstonians- Here is a good lawyer to protect your rights! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Houstonians- Here is a good lawyer to protect your rights!

SJRTX
07-18-2007, 00:55
This is a fellow gun enthusiast. He owns and runs TexasCHLforum.com

The reason I bring this up now, is because Ive recently gone through a custody battle, and I am very impressed with Mr. Cotton. He's good at catching language that could trigger Lautenberg Amendment, even when the opposing attorney doesnt realize the ramifications. Something a lot of lawyers could possibly over-look. So if you find yourself needing a family law attorney or have an after-shoot civil suit, give Mr Cotton a call.

Heres a Bio from NRADefensefund.org:

Charles L. Cotton, Trustee
Friendswood, Texas
Current member of the National Rifle Association’s Board of Directors. Married with two sons. Committees: Finance, Legal Affairs, Bylaws and Resolutions, Action Pistol. Civil trial attorney and partner with successful Houston, Texas law firm. Consulted with Texas House of Representatives and Texas Senate sponsors of Texas’ Concealed Handgun License (CHL) bills from 1993 through 1997, 1999, and 2003. Contributed language to the CHL statute and its amendments, and testified for CHL and anti-lawsuit legislation. At the request of the CHL authors, testified on implementation of the Texas CHL statute. Second Amendment advocate as interviewee on television, radio and talk shows and newspaper articles both before and after passage of Texas CHL statute. Seminar speaker on Texas’ CHL statute and Texas firearms laws and state constitutional protections. Competitive shooter, hunter, collector and NRA Certified Instructor. Member TSRA, IDPA, IPSC, NSSR, LEAA, co-founder and Match Director of PSC-IDPA Match..

But I just want to make it clear, this guy doesnt have time for doing free legal. If it comes down to nuts and butts, and you need to hire an attorney where guns might be an issue (family law, after-shoot etc) Id give him a call for sure.

RPBROWN
07-20-2007, 22:05
Although Charles is all of the things listed, his primary area of law is civil. However, he can direct you toward a good criminal attorney.

SJRTX
07-20-2007, 22:13
Originally posted by RPBROWN
Although Charles is all of the things listed, his primary area of law is civil. However, he can direct you toward a good criminal attorney.

Well, im not speaking of criminal law.

I hired Charles recently for a family law case. He was very careful of any language in our settlement agreements that could be construed as "protective language". In his opinion it would trigger Lautenberg, and instantaneously make me a felon for owning any firearms.

A lot of lawyers that simply specialize in Texas family law probably arent aware of Lautenberg(federal law) and what can easily fall under it.

So other than an endorsement of Charles, this is also a "beware" post. If you get involved in a custody battle, you can get screwed pretty quickly if you and your lawyer arent aware of what to watch for.