Caliber Question : .38 Super? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caliber Question : .38 Super?

HEAVY
07-19-2007, 21:06
what do you think of this caliber?

can you use it for idpa? ipsc?

in what category?

thanks.

darth board
07-19-2007, 21:33
i do not know about idpa, but in ipsc you can only be scored major using a 38 super in open division pag sa standard or modified minor na.

bulm540
07-19-2007, 22:08
ESP ( enhanced services pistol) in IDPA. Minor in SSD division in USPSA , can load ten rounds in mags.

isuzu
07-20-2007, 08:31
It's a good defensive round.

HEAVY
07-20-2007, 09:56
Originally posted by isuzu

if say it's a choice between the 38super and the 9mm?

which?

orimar3
07-20-2007, 10:34
Originally posted by HEAVY
which?

Depends on what your intended use will be? Both calibers are popular in IPSC. In Open division, .38 Super appears to be the popular choice, although many are now using to 9mm Major due to cost & availability of brass. In Production division, 9mm is by far the most popular choice.

New_comer
07-20-2007, 11:11

which?

Proven defensive bullet designs in 9mm can easily be found, like Black Talons, Gold Dots, Golden Saber and Hydrashoks that score very high in theoretical OSS ratings.

I'm not aware of defensive bullets in 38 super. Only gaming cartridges. Too bad since the speed generated by the 38super almost matches that of the .357 magnum, arguably the best manstopper round there is. ;)

isuzu
07-20-2007, 21:18

which?

For IPSC production, I would go for the 9mm. Cheap; minimum caliber that you could use in that division.

For defensive purposes, I will choose the .38 Super (although the 9mm has more bullet choices). A have a friend who pulled out 125 gr 9mm Hydra Shoks and loaded them in .38 Super. He tested some of them in banana trunks (shot them lengthwise), and compared them with the 9mm Hydra Shoks. The handloaded .38 Super with Hydra Shok heads were a lot more superior than the 9mm. Twin Pines sold HP .38 Supers with Hornady 125 gr heads when I was still there in the Philippines. I wonder if they still sell them.

www.coltautos.com has a section on .38 Super 1911s and even has an advertisement of the .38 Super when it was introduced in the market. Many won't believe it, but the ballistics of the .38 Super is more powerful than a .45 ACP.

The one thing that turned off a lot of people with the .38 Super was that the early barrel chambers contributed to the inaccuracy of the caliber. It was subsequently corrected and the .38 Super with a Barsto barrel is one accurate combo.

isuzu
07-20-2007, 21:27
Originally posted by New_comer
I'm not aware of defensive bullets in 38 super. Only gaming cartridges. Too bad since the speed generated by the 38super almost matches that of the .357 magnum, arguably the best manstopper round there is. ;)

Yes, bullet choices are somewhat limited in the .38 Super. I would say that the most popular factory defensive load is still the Silvertip in 115 gr and 125 gr. My friend used a 115 gr Silvertip in taking out a rebel assassin who was out to kill him while he was having payroll in his farm. It took him one shot to bring the assassin down. The distance was between 5-7 meters.

I also saw on TV a few years back where a former rebel was assassinated inside a Japanese restaurant. His pistol was a .38 Super as evidenced by the shell casings and live ammo on his table.

bulm540
07-20-2007, 22:07
There is a considerable shift to 9 MM in open here due to brass cost.

New_comer
07-20-2007, 23:01
Yes, bullet choices are somewhat limited in the .38 Super. I would say that the most popular factory defensive load is still the Silvertip in 115 gr and 125 gr. My friend used a 115 gr Silvertip in taking out a rebel assassin who was out to kill him while he was having payroll in his farm. It took him one shot to bring the assassin down. The distance was between 5-7 meters.

I also saw on TV a few years back where a former rebel was assassinated inside a Japanese restaurant. His pistol was a .38 Super as evidenced by the shell casings and live ammo on his table.

We could consider the defensive 38 super round as an 'enthusiast' cartridge, similar to the 10mm, which is as rare as a dodo in these parts. Even a semi-wad slug with such speed can introduce massive trauma, though not as well as a golden saber slug can make.

On the downside, the insane report of firing a 38sup can turn off your typical shooter. Its blast is humongous, which both tend to introduce unwelcome flinching in a beginner, the same detrimental characteristics found in the 10mm that led to its demise as the LEO cartridge of choice.

In the end, it's not the bullet naman. It's still placement, placement, and placement.