Cheap range ammo in MI? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap range ammo in MI?


Turtle13
07-20-2007, 16:15
Where do you go for cheap .40 S&W ammo in mich. Also what kind? Just looking for range ammo.


Also, what are some of you using for self defense rounds?

TFin04
07-20-2007, 18:46
100 round value packs of Winchester White Box for $23.99 at Wal-Mart, best price you'll find for factory loaded ammo.

For SD, I have my 23 loaded with Gold Dots.

Turtle13
07-20-2007, 19:17
Do they have the value pack in 9mm also? My wife needs some ammo too.

Punctilious1
07-20-2007, 20:44
I'm all about Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart in both the 9mm and .40S&W. It ends up a bit cheaper than the WWB and it shoots cleaner for me. I think it's an all around nicer round.

For SD, I have carried the 165gr Golden Saber in my G27 and 180gr in my USPc. Given some of the testing I've seen I'm moving to the Federal HST 180gr in all my .40S&Ws. I'm using the 124+p HST in my G19.

MakeMineaP99
07-20-2007, 22:21
You might want to look into reloading if you shoot that much .40, the prices are sky high.

Glock 19 God
07-20-2007, 23:34
ammoman.com cannot be beat

FREE SHIPPING

Turtle13
07-20-2007, 23:56
.40 cal would be the last thing I'd want to reload.

Ammoman looks pretty good on bulk pricing.

Punctilious1
07-21-2007, 08:35
Reputable reloads. And, check out the small bump for SHTF JHPs. I've never bought from them but I hear good things. They're local. I wonder if you could place an order and drive to pick it up to save on shipping.

http://www.qualityammo.com/pricing.htm

john_glock_mi
07-21-2007, 20:49
sportsmanguide.com has 250 round bricks of Wolf .40 for $47.97. Its cheaper per shot than the 500 or 1000 round bricks for some reason.

There are always coupon codes floating around for some added discounts which usually covers most of the shipping charges.

MakeMineaP99
07-22-2007, 21:54
Originally posted by Turtle13
.40 cal would be the last thing I'd want to reload.



Why?

douglasd
07-23-2007, 07:22
Originally posted by Turtle13
Do they have the value pack in 9mm also? My wife needs some ammo too.

Yes, they do, and Wal-mart is still the lowest on target ammo, if you get the 100 round value-pack.

I think they have .45 ACP in 100 rnd. boxes as well, at most stores.

TFin04
07-23-2007, 10:20
Originally posted by MakeMineaP99
Why?

.40 is considered to be a high pressure round and therefore more dangerous to reload.

I'd also say the majority of .40 shooters are shooting a Glock, which is known for not having a "fully supported" breech. That means there is room in the breech for the case to expand when it is shot. You can see a slight bulge in 40 cases that have been fired from a Glock. It has become known as the "Glock Bulge."

Some people say it isn't prudent to keep resizing that bulge as it will eventually weaken the case and cause a Ka-Boom (Glocks are also notorious online for blowing up :upeyes: )

Combine all of that with the fact that Glock is strictly against shooting reloads in their guns, you get a lot of armchair intellectuals in online forums telling you it's a recipe to blow up your gun.

There are, however, plenty of success stories on loading .40, but you know how that works. Bad news travels much faster than good.

I've loaded 40's through Glocks without a problem and am still very new to handloading. I'm getting away from the 40cal for cost/other issues and I would not recommend it to a beginner reloader, but it definitely can be done.

My 10 or 12 cents on the subject. Happy shooting. :)

Turtle13
07-23-2007, 11:29
Don't take it as me swallowing the kaboom stories. I've just never reloaded and that would not be the place to start for me since the pressures are so high. With my luck I'd end up losing my freakin hand! :rofl:

MakeMineaP99
07-23-2007, 11:29
Originally posted by TFin04
.40 is considered to be a high pressure round and therefore more dangerous to reload.

I'd also say the majority of .40 shooters are shooting a Glock, which is known for not having a "fully supported" breech. That means there is room in the breech for the case to expand when it is shot. You can see a slight bulge in 40 cases that have been fired from a Glock. It has become known as the "Glock Bulge."

Some people say it isn't prudent to keep resizing that bulge as it will eventually weaken the case and cause a Ka-Boom (Glocks are also notorious online for blowing up :upeyes: )

Combine all of that with the fact that Glock is strictly against shooting reloads in their guns, you get a lot of armchair intellectuals in online forums telling you it's a recipe to blow up your gun.

There are, however, plenty of success stories on loading .40, but you know how that works. Bad news travels much faster than good.

I've loaded 40's through Glocks without a problem and am still very new to handloading. I'm getting away from the 40cal for cost/other issues and I would not recommend it to a beginner reloader, but it definitely can be done.

My 10 or 12 cents on the subject. Happy shooting. :)

I'm a handloader too and am aware of the issues you outlined in the post above (good post btw). I don't think the .40 is any harder/more dangerous to load than other rounds, but it requires careful attention to detail, just as any other round.

I don't currently load .40 (don't care for the round as a whole) but plenty of people I shoot with load .40 and run Sigs and Glocks without problems. However, if you're not going to pay careful attention to detail, you should not be reloading.

MakeMineaP99
07-23-2007, 11:32
Originally posted by Turtle13
Don't take it as me swallowing the kaboom stories. I've just never reloaded and that would not be the place to start for me since the pressures are so high. With my luck I'd end up losing my freakin hand! :rofl:

.40 can be downloaded to lower the pressures (that's a relative statment). Handloading isn't very difficult, the best way to learn is to find someone who has a press and let them teach you. That's how I got started.

coverdog
07-24-2007, 09:36
I have loaded thousands upon thousands of .40 and never had a problem. Be careful as with any other load and there will be zero problems. My best load is 8.2 AA#5 under a nosler 150 HP.

mikedb
07-24-2007, 17:19
40s are the only round I have seen warnings for in reloading manuals. I do hot 44 mags and 45 colts but stay away from 40s. If I did shoot them I would very carefully track the times brass was reloaded and do good case inspections. 45 acp is nice low pressure. I usually lose the casing before it wears out.

TAC-GLOCK
07-26-2007, 17:04
Originally posted by Turtle13
Do they have the value pack in 9mm also? My wife needs some ammo too.

Yes, Winchester @ $15.99 a couple weeks ago.

TAC-GLOCK
07-26-2007, 17:53
[SOLD]


I have some .223 for sale in Macomb, MI., if anyone is interested.

10-Boxes of 20, Remington UMC 55GR FMJ $6.00/box of 20

2-MegaPacks of 200, Remington UMC 45GR Hollow-Point $60.00/MegaPack of 200.

Equates to $ 0.30/round.

Thanks!

MakeMineaP99
07-26-2007, 18:05
Originally posted by TAC-GLOCK
I have some .223 for sale in Macomb, MI., if anyone is interested.

10-Boxes of 20, Remington UMC 55GR FMJ

2-MegaPacks of 200, Remington UMC 45GR Hollow-Point

Thanks!

Price?

Landor
07-26-2007, 18:08
Personally I do not think you can beat WWB pricing @ Walmart. Even if you can find something on the Internet shipping always makes it more expensive. I never used ammo-man but last I looked his prices looked like shipping was added into the price and he advertises it as free shipping. Don't get me wrong, he still has good pricing. There is a gun show this weekend at Gibraltar Taylor. Maybe you can pick up some there.

TAC-GLOCK
07-26-2007, 18:14
[SOLD]


Originally posted by MakeMineaP99
Price?

10-Boxes of 20, Remington UMC 55GR FMJ $6.00/box of 20

2-MegaPacks of 200, Remington UMC 45GR Hollow-Point $60.00/MegaPack of 200.

Equates to $ 0.30/round.

If you buy all of it, I'll go all 600 for $160.00 total
($ 0.266666/round)

WD8T
08-05-2007, 19:17
As far as I can tell everything in MI is more expensive than anywhere else. Living in IN a year ago I was paying $10.00 for 100 rounds of Winchester target pack 9mm ammo and $13 for .40 S&W. .45 ACP was $18 per 100 rounds. I pooped my pants when I saw the prices at the Holland Walmart. Of course, for some reason T-bone steak is $13.00 a lb also. We need a new Governor, but I guess that isn't exactly news.

douglasd
08-05-2007, 19:21
Originally posted by W9RPE
As far as I can tell everything in MI is more expensive than anywhere else. Living in IN a year ago I was paying $10.00 for 100 rounds of Winchester target pack 9mm ammo and $13 for .40 S&W. .45 ACP was $18 per 100 rounds. I pooped my pants when I saw the prices at the Holland Walmart. Of course, for some reason T-bone steak is $13.00 a lb also. We need a new Governor, but I guess that isn't exactly news.


A year ago it was about that same price in Michigan, too. Ammo prices have been going up all over...not just Michigan.

steveksux
08-13-2007, 14:15
Why does the higher pressure of a .40 matter regarding the reliability of reloads?

So what if the pressure is higher, aren't the shell casings thicker/stronger to compensate? I would think that cancels out, and the .40 is no more likely to kB! than any other round... The question isn't whether the pressure is higher, the question is whether there is less safety factor in .40 casings than other rounds, are they using pressures closer to the limit of the casing relative to other rounds.

But I've never reloaded before, so forgive me if this is a newbie question.

Randy

Hailstorm
08-13-2007, 14:26
OK Steve. here it is.

In the Glock .40. You have a chamber that has very little support on the bottom of the brass case. This means the only thing holding in the charge is the brass with no support from the chamber. when you fire the round it expands in that spot. Now, if the pressure is to much. You can have a kaboom. A case failure. Not good. this is why you never see +p ammo for the .40. And if you do. Its false advertising. You cannot have a +P .40 do to pressure in the case.

douglasd
08-13-2007, 15:38
Originally posted by Hailstorm
OK Steve. here it is.

In the Glock .40. You have a chamber that has very little support on the bottom of the brass case. This means the only thing holding in the charge is the brass with no support from the chamber. when you fire the round it expands in that spot. Now, if the pressure is to much. You can have a kaboom. A case failure. Not good. this is why you never see +p ammo for the .40. And if you do. Its false advertising. You cannot have a +P .40 do to pressure in the case.

Well, almost, but not quite.

The reason you they don't make +P in .40 is that they are already loaded to roughly +P pressure to begin with. The same reason you don't see +P in .357 Magnum or .357 Sig.

Secondly, a case failure is not a KB, and normally will not cause a KB. At most it will blow the mag out the mag well. When the case fails due to the "unsupported chamber", it acts as a safety valve, and as I said may blow the mag out, but will actually prevent a true KB in most cases. A KB is where the barrel blows apart...no case failure will cause that.

Xenia
08-19-2007, 22:33
I drove all the way into Auburn Hills to Bro Bass shop because of their sale on ammo. I had no idea it was as far away as it was. I knew already they were short on supplies. I picked up a rain check though.

Then on the way home, I figured it out, with the cost of gas for two round trips, I will not be saving that much over wally world prices locally.

centennial
08-20-2007, 06:43
After Sept 1 many more of you may start thinking about reloading.
Sept 1 is when ALL of the ammo manufacturers will be raising their prices by a minimum of 20%. Some will go as high as 40%.

Should you decide that reloading is in your future, I offer a hands-on reloading class at my shop.

Class is limited to 4 students at a time and it runs about 4 hours. I usually do this on Sunday afternoons, but other times are available.

This is not a "bore you to death" lecture and bookwork class. You will be making ammo using RCBS single stage presses.
It's the best way to learn the steps involved.
You will also be introduced to progressive machines that really crank out the rounds. (up to 800 rounds per hour!)

Everything is provided. All you need to bring is a pair of safety glasses.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll get you the dates, cost and other detials.