Problem with Internet Explorier [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Internet Explorier

Kentucky_Guy
07-21-2007, 07:16
hey all....

Ive got a gateway desktop running windows vista, 2GB ram, dual core AMD processor..I have Kaspersky internet security suite running along with counterspy software....

I usually use firefox as my main browser but need to use IE for those sites that wont work with it..

the problem i am having is when i close firefox and pull up IE, it keeps telling me "Web page cannot be displayed" "You may not be connected to the internet"....my internet connection is up and running. I doublecheck the address and it is correct but i keep getting this message on IE..and it is the latest version of Explorer....

any ideas..?????

thanks

Bruce

Washington,D.C.
07-21-2007, 07:23
Check your firewall. It may be allowing Firefox and blocking Internet Explorer.

Kentucky_Guy
07-21-2007, 07:30
thanks, i just checked Kaspersky internet suite and i have not made any changes to it, it doesnt differentiate between IE and firefox!!!

anything else i can try???

Washington,D.C.
07-21-2007, 07:39
Open IE and type a different URL such as http://www.google.com

and see if it will go there. Maybe the default website is down or it's blank in IE.

Kentucky_Guy
07-21-2007, 07:43
thanks again....

i just tried that, even went into the "google search bar" and got the same message...

ive tried typing www.glocktalk.com and http://glocktalk.com and every other address in my favorites....

still get the same message...this is frustrating

Washington,D.C.
07-21-2007, 10:15
You can try reinstalling IE7. Don't uninstall the one you have. Just run the IE7 installer. Can download it here.

http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer/

IndyGunFreak
07-22-2007, 02:43
This has to be a firewall setting, thats the only thing that makes sense.

IGF

Blitzer
07-22-2007, 04:34
Click on IE's Internet options tab, then LAN settings, and see if Automatically detect settings box is checked. ;)

IndyGunFreak
07-22-2007, 06:22
Originally posted by Blitzer
Click on IE's Internet options tab, then LAN settings, and see if Automatically detect settings box is checked. ;)

Hmm, Good call...

One could argue though, that a good quality firewall, wouldn't allow IE access to the Internet in order to protect the computer.. ;)

IGF

Blitzer
07-22-2007, 11:11
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
Hmm, Good call...

One could argue though, that a good quality firewall, wouldn't allow IE access to the Internet in order to protect the computer.. ;)

IGF

Most "good" firewalls identify Microsoft IE as a privileged application by default.

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;)

Kentucky_Guy
07-22-2007, 19:54
thanks for the help everyone...come to find out it WAS my firewall after all causing the problem..

when i "disabled" Kaspersky internet security IE worked just fine..it was blocking IE, and i changed the settings on it..

now i can watch Neflix "on demand" movies..woo hooo...

thanks again everyone for your help

bruce

Ishiguro
07-25-2007, 13:20
you could also download IE inside firefox extension so you don't have to use IE directly in the future.