sti mags: tweaks to add capacity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sti mags: tweaks to add capacity

jundeleon
07-21-2007, 12:08
How do you increase capacity of the 126mm (14 rounds) or 140mm (17 rounds) STI mags for 40sw guns?

What components (spring, follower, basepad) can be used to maximize capacity?

Any idea on price/cost of these components?

Eye Cutter
07-21-2007, 17:03
are you going to compete in ipsc matches in standard division?

the 140mm bodies are too long. it won't fit the ipsc standard box. you can only use the 126mm magazine bodies.

a custom basepad, arredondo follower and aftermarket mag springs like wolff will get you 17 rounds of .40cal in each mag. trying to get the 18th round in, you will need shorter springs, making your magazine unrealiable.

wait natin sila ahtsay, infinity and single stacker. they use sti's for competitions.

akula
07-21-2007, 17:18
I was able to buy from a friend a couple of ResComp Mag for STI with a plastic base pad that gives me 18rounds. He said it came from Shooters Connection.

This is the link to this mag (not to the vendor)
http://www.rescomp.co.za/rht_pistol_accessories.htm

Eye Cutter
07-21-2007, 18:43
with the sps and svi mag tubes, you can get 18 rds in.

with the orig 126mm sti mag tubes with the deep grooves on the sides, mahirap gawin reliable/reloadable na 18rds.

jundeleon
07-22-2007, 01:08
doc ec,

its not for competition.

will the sps mag tubes work on the sti edge? are these priced lower than sti mags?

ahtsay
07-22-2007, 02:32
Jun I use ISMI spring cut to 10 coils, SVi Red Follower and Tony Olinares basepads. I get 17 rounds reloadable after the springs loosened up. I have 2 SPS mags from Doc EC, pero hinde ko pa siya na totono kaya hinde ko pa ginagamit. Infinity has an SPS mag IPSC box compliant that can hold 19 rounds. I've used that mag in a match, very reliable naman siya. :thumbsup:

Akula how does the mag perform? I've seen those mags sa website nila and I'm tempted to try one...maganda din yung SV mags.

Doc gusto ko ng 20 rounder na magazine :supergrin: Possible kaya? Sa MEDCUP, theres this guy that uses 20 rounder mags for standard...pero custom made daw.

Eye Cutter
07-22-2007, 04:42
yung brazilian mags??? i think that's a myth...

jundeleon: alam ko the 140mm tubes with grams engineering follower and mag springs and dawson precision basepads can hold 23rds of 40 cal.

akula
07-22-2007, 05:33
Originally posted by ahtsay
Akula how does the mag perform? I've seen those mags sa website nila and I'm tempted to try one...maganda din yung SV mags.

Aht, I've been using these mags for about a year now. Wala pa namang paltos. I replaced one with an old TP pad, 18 pa rin yung laman, but maliit nalang yung clearance. I use this as my 1st Mag, while the plastic one as my 1st reload (2nd Mag) because maluwag yung clearance. I replaced the plastic, because baka bumigay yung plastic sa kaka-drop during mag change.

ahtsay
07-22-2007, 08:59
Ako naman yung 1st reload ko, minsan nag babawas ako ng isa...so 16 nalang para sure yung pasok. Pag 17 kasi, minsan hinde nag s-seat mabuti, nahuhulog eh :supergrin: Doc, check ko ulet ha tapos post ko dito. He finished a stage with just one mag eh, while the others had to reload.

eclipse1
07-23-2007, 18:50
"jundeleon: alam ko the 140mm tubes with grams engineering follower and mag springs and dawson precision basepads can hold 23rds of 40 cal."

what tubes? beven is making a new base pad to fit the sps tube that will hold 21 rounds reloadable and will still fit 140 mm, i spoke to beven last sat at a local macth, tuned mags will be ready around sep.

bulm540
07-23-2007, 20:19
Originally posted by Eye Cutter

jundeleon: alam ko the 140mm tubes with grams engineering follower and mag springs and dawson precision basepads can hold 23rds of 40 cal.
20 is the max you can get with the 140MM. I have STI mags with grams follwers,springs and basepads. The 21 rounder that grams is tuning is about $150. Don't know if it includes the mags or just the kit

Eye Cutter
07-23-2007, 23:09
20 rds lang pala sa .40, i thought kasya 23. sa 38super 140mm tubes ko pala kasya yung 23 rds with ismi springs and follower and dp +1 pads. pero i load 22 lang.

i stand corrected. tnx guys!

if its going to be used as a house gun and not for competition, pwede kahit yung 170mm tubes, kaya lang ang bigat na noon

jundeleon
07-24-2007, 05:46
The 140mm magazine sticks out of the mag well by how many inches?

Can anybody post a picture?

Does it protrude far enough to hamper movement or handling of the gun during competition or shooting sessions?

bulm540
07-24-2007, 06:41
20 rds lang pala sa .40, i thought kasya 23. sa 38super 140mm tubes ko pala kasya yung 23 rds with ismi springs and follower and dp +1 pads. pero i load 22 lang.

i stand corrected. tnx guys!

if its going to be used as a house gun and not for competition, pwede kahit yung 170mm tubes, kaya lang ang bigat na noon
In super as you mentioned you can get 23.

atmarcella
07-25-2007, 03:08
19-18 rnds. of .40 fit the box pa....

http://www.jrholster.com/product.asp?id=7

bulm540
07-25-2007, 06:52

Robbie L did use it.

batangueno
07-25-2007, 07:34
Originally posted by jundeleon
The 140mm magazine sticks out of the mag well by how many inches?

Can anybody post a picture?

Does it protrude far enough to hamper movement or handling of the gun during competition or shooting sessions?
The only problems that i can see for a 170mm long magazine during competition is the weight and prone shooting. Kapag prone kasi sasayad yung base ng magazine sa ground.

royal glockster
07-28-2007, 04:05
i replaced the magazine springs of my sti mags (3 pcs of 126mm) with wolff mags spring. I did this because the stock springs are already soft which caused frequent FTFs. The result is that the wolff springs have very strong tension but they give reliable feeding..no more FTFs. Downside is that the usual 17 rds capacity is now reduced to 15 rounds because of higher tension..:upeyes:

Advise mga kapatid; should i cut the some coils to accomodate more ammo? baka kasi affected na naman ang feeding..TIA. Btw, the stock springs pala has only 8 coils while the wolff for sti mags has 13 coils...:supergrin:

Eye Cutter
07-28-2007, 04:51
kaya naman pala puro jam! masyado maikli pag 8 coils lang. hindi na lumalabas sa mag tube yun pag walang basepads.

11 coils pag .40 cal mag. so you can cut 2 coils and you should be fine.

when you cut the extra coils, 2 1/2 to 3 coils should still be showing outside the tube.

low profile
07-28-2007, 05:44
lagi namamatay yan wolf na yan. kuha ka ng ismi at drop in mo tapos ang problema.

royal glockster
07-28-2007, 05:56
Thanks Doc Alvin for the advice..:banana: bro lowprofile, i will get ISMI springs someday if the wolff springs i just bought will no longer work...thanks rin sa advice..:thumbsup: Btw, where can i find ISMI mag springs? wala yata sa mga gunstores??:upeyes:

Eye Cutter
07-28-2007, 06:02
ismi springs? si laiza yata meron. if you can get the gram's engineering srpings, ok rin!

i_am_infinity
08-01-2007, 12:56
i tried experimenting on the STi 45 tubes and was successful.

STI TUBE 45cal
Wolff cut to 10 coils
sv trimmed follower (RED)
Tony O. base pads
= 18rds reloadable.

my SPS has the same internal it packs 19 reloadable.

*just a note though*

if ur going to use SPS 18rd mags change the base pads or have ur magwell tweaked coz it won't go in and also sometimes the tube is quite bigger so it'll snag mid-way and just have ur 'smith file the front and rear of the tubes.

hope this helps.

i_am_infinity :supergrin:

royal glockster
08-03-2007, 17:37
kaya naman pala puro jam! masyado maikli pag 8 coils lang. hindi na lumalabas sa mag tube yun pag walang basepads.

11 coils pag .40 cal mag. so you can cut 2 coils and you should be fine.

when you cut the extra coils, 2 1/2 to 3 coils should still be showing outside the tube.

I did it on my 3rd magazine what you advised doc. Now it's back to 17 rds but have not tested it on the range yet..Thanks a lot!:thumbsup: