I-285 W (north side of Atlanta) to I-75 N [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I-285 W (north side of Atlanta) to I-75 N

obxemt
07-21-2007, 16:18
What can I expect on these roads around 3-4 pm on a weekday? I'm moving to Tennessee in a couple weeks and mapquest and AAA both give the same directions.

Thanks for your help.

Warp
07-21-2007, 18:22
Originally posted by obxemt
What can I expect on these roads around 3-4 pm on a weekday? I'm moving to Tennessee in a couple weeks and mapquest and AAA both give the same directions.

Thanks for your help.

Traffic.

I85 and 285 and 75 all have TRAFFIC.

Going across 285 coming up on rush hour you will hit heavier traffic once you pass the approximate halfway point, East to West, as you are now in the "leaving the city" direction.

Compared to the other interstates I was accustomed to 85/285 in this area have very few trucks and a massive amount of commuters in cars/light trucks. People change lanes, often multiple lanes, without signalling and often without looking. Watch out for hte other guy, cause the other guy drives like S&#%. Be especially carefull when changing lanes. The guy two lanes over might change at the same time, suddently and quickly, without ever signalling or looking for you/your signal.

If you are eligeable for the HOV restricted lane on the far left, use it. That is one direction you don't have to watch for lane changers to come from.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem, but it can get backed up. Using 285/85/75 I have had the same drive take 40 minutes and 1.5 hours...without accidents or construction as a factor...just depends on the tiem of day and how you hit traffic.

General Sherman
07-22-2007, 10:55
Travel as early as you can.

obxemt
07-22-2007, 14:56
Originally posted by Warp
Traffic.

Going across 285 coming up on rush hour you will hit heavier traffic once you pass the approximate halfway point, East to West, as you are now in the "leaving the city" direction.

Compared to the other interstates I was accustomed to 85/285 in this area have very few trucks and a massive amount of commuters in cars/light trucks. People change lanes, often multiple lanes, without signalling and often without looking. The guy two lanes over might change at the same time, suddently and quickly, without ever signalling or looking for you/your signal.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem, but it can get backed up. Using 285/85/75 I have had the same drive take 40 minutes and 1.5 hours...without accidents or construction as a factor...just depends on the tiem of day and how you hit traffic.

The ignorant drivers sound exactly like I-85 in and near Charlotte, NC. Its amazing what people do and what they get away with. No consideration whatsoever.

It will depend on what time the movers have us packed. Should be by noon at the latest, which would put us on 285 between 3 and 4 (closer to 3). Hopefully they'll get us packed a little earlier and we can get out of here.

Thanks for the info!

detroit192
07-27-2007, 16:08
I living Charlotte for seven years before coming to the ATL three years ago. Traffic does not even begin to compare. I would take Independence Ave any day any time over the Perimeter. That said there are a few things you can do. http://www.georgianavigator.com/maps/atlanta is run by the GA DOT and show realtime traffic conditions. http://www.georgianavigator.com/histdata/trip.shtml is a neat part of the site that will give you historic averages. I use the following website on my mobile phone, I have to drive all over the Metro area (actually the whole state sometimes) for work: http://myganav.com/www/wml . It does not seem to update as quickly as the other non-mobile website. AM 750 WSB has traffic updates, AM 920 is another good station. Note there is construction on I-85 near the GA-316 merge about 10 miles before the I-85/I-285 intersection. I-75 north also has its share of fun. There is construction on it just north of Marietta, and I-75 from I-285 north past Marietta can be a real nightmare. BTW Asheville and the mountains can be nice. I did drive a Ryder truck full over it when I moved from Detroit to Charlotte. On the other hand I hired someone to drive my stuff from Charlotte to Atlanta.

MalumProhibitum
07-30-2007, 13:27
Get there a little earlier.

brazen_atl
08-01-2007, 12:40
Make sure you are getting on to 75 North by 3:00 and it should be a piece of cake.
By 3:30 or 4:00, The Interchanges from 285 to 75 starts to get backed up very quickly.
On the North side of Altanta rush hour runs from about 4:00 to 7:00.

obxemt
08-01-2007, 16:12
We actually ended up getting out early and hit Atlanta around 2:15. It added over an hour to the trip. I'd hate to see rush hour of it is that crazy at that time of the afternoon.

Actually, the move went REMARKABLY smoothly, the sole exception being 285 and 75 around ATL. My wife said "never again." I couldn't agree more. But, we avoided the North Carolina mountains which was the only reason we went that way.

Thanks for the info...I don't envy you folks that have to drive there frequently! :)

agarr
08-10-2007, 19:36
It is Hell on Earth............ no question.

major
08-11-2007, 20:26
Originally posted by agarr
It is Hell on Earth............ no question.

+1000000000000000000000........and it's that way EVERY DAY.

thooks
10-18-2007, 19:31
Anyone that works or has relatives that work for the GA DOT ought to be completely embarrassed and ashamed to be out in public.

The traffic problems in this city are an absolute nightmare.

And they could be easily improved upon.

Warp
10-18-2007, 19:34
I am very happy in that my current job is about one mile away. :)

Too bad it's not anywhere near the job I want!!!