Missing or corrupt hal.dll file? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Missing or corrupt hal.dll file?

Redsnake
07-22-2007, 14:04
OK, my other PC is not working. When you go to boot up and log in, right before you get the blue log-in screen (running Windows XP) we get this error message in what appears to be a DOS setting

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
{WINDOWS ROOT}\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file"

We also just installed Norton360 the day before this error appeared, but not sure if that had anything to do w/the problem or not.

Any suggestions or solutions?

I tried copying the "hal.dll" file w/my main other PC to the not working PC to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks - Eric

Washington,D.C.
07-22-2007, 14:58
You can try an "XP Repair install" follow the instructions here.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Washington,D.C.
07-22-2007, 15:00
# Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
# When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
# Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
# Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
# Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
# Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Washington,D.C.
07-22-2007, 15:02
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

This one usually doesn't work.

doktarZues
07-22-2007, 15:12
The hal.dll file is critical to boot, windows stores hardware information there during install and when new devices are installed. Since software also causes changes it's not uncommon for a new program install or update to cause hal boot errors, though it could also be hardware problems.

I would recommend trying the repair install, then slaving it and backing up your data (if necessary) and re-installing windows if repair doesn't work. If it works from there, you know it was a software problem. If it doesn't, it's a bigger problem.. I would try swapping the motherboard first if that's the case. Let us know.. -dok

Redsnake
07-22-2007, 20:21
OK... looks like I installed a new version of Windows XP when I was going thru this process... fresh w/new user info.

Is there any way to REINSTALL XP the way it was before w/all the software and setting the way it was? This is really getting to be a pain in the arse.

I went back thru the install procedure and was looking for the install to 'repair' and it only shows the new installation.

I do however appreciate the help.

Thanks

Arc Angel
07-22-2007, 20:51
:upeyes: What's in your Windows Restore list? By any chance are you able to roll back to a time before you installed Norton 360? (The list is time sensitive; this option may or may not be available.)

In the alternative try reading the help file that came with Norton 360. I've, occasionally, found solutions to common problems caused by Symantec products there. I, also, know that Norton 360 has a, 'Live Chat' help feature; if it were my problem this is what I'd try first.

Here's the path for Windows Restore:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Restore > (Date)

Blitzer
07-30-2007, 03:25
Buy and use Spinrite on a routine to repair data loss.

www.grc.com :supergrin: :thumbsup: ;)