Navy Reserves, do you like it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Navy Reserves, do you like it?

Grim Jackal
07-22-2007, 17:32
OK, so anyone in the San Diego, Ca area that is in the Navy Reserves or else where? Any thoughts on how often, duration if have you been deployed and was it on ship or a Naval Base and where?

I would be signing up for an MA Rate, just curious as to anyone's personal experiences. I am prior service, though not Navy, I've talked with a Reserve Recruiter and everything looks good so far. My job is very supportive of Military Service and so is my family, so that is not a problem.

Just wanted to hear from people in the Navy Reserves and get some insight.

Prior Service so I wont be going to Bootcamp, just wanted a general idea of weekend drill, etc in the Navy. Though I know it can vary greatly depending on Rate, station, etc, but any bit if info helps.

Glock Swabbie
07-28-2007, 17:54
bump for some answers....

I am on the fence about enlisting in the reserves

I just finished 5 years as a CTT/EW

vdeleon
08-05-2007, 10:47
I am a FULL TIME SUPPORT(FTS)formerly known as TAR. We are active duty personnel that normally manned Reserves centers and other Reserve commands, I've been dealing with Selres personnel since 1994 and have a lot of respect for the reserves. As you're probably aware, joining the reserves have their disadvantages and advantages vice active duty. You can always go home after the drill weekend, you're still obligated to serve 2 weeks annually for your AT's. and have the potential to be recalled for longer service due to our current situation (war on terror). depending on your rate, your chance may be slim. But always keep in mind that there is always a chance to get recalled. Benefits are just as much the same when wearing the uniform when in drill status. talk to Selres who already joined. My 1st encounter with a reservist was in Newport(SIMA), RI, couple of guys just came back from overseas (LONDON) and we're talking about the sights they've been..That to me was awesome. You can always check out some overseas billet for your annual AT's or use it to go to a "c" school or other schools. If you don't mind doing the active duty for one-weekend-a-month, it's not too bad, just don't be like some folks that just show up in uniform for the paycheck (I hate those folks). You still have a chain of command and other responsiblities...PO1's I personally known for years made CHIEFS after volunteering to the sand box...

Grim Jackal
08-12-2007, 21:58
Thanks for the info and taking the time to write it. No, I want the pay check, but I miss serving in the Armed Forces even more, and that is my motivation to carry this through.

Thanks again.

squidville_1975
08-14-2007, 19:30
MA in the U.S. Naval Reserves? I have two letters for you - I.A. (Individual Augmentee).

Grim Jackal
08-14-2007, 20:55
Thanks for the info...W.T.F. is up with that...Oh well.

FM12
08-14-2007, 22:15
Grim Jackel: I, at age 55, miss serving in the military also (former submarine sailor, 1973-75, 4 boomer patrols). Geeze, If I'd stayed in I might be an E-5 by now!!.

I say go for it. If you have the desire, the service (and your country) has the need! Godspeed!:thumbsup:

hhb
08-25-2007, 12:48
I feel qulaified to answer. I joined the local USNR unit on my 17th birthday one month shy of 50 years ago. I enlisted for 6 years to include two years active duty upon graduation from high school. 3 months after graduation, received orders to active duty, and went to the Norfolk Naval Station for assignment. I was ordered to a destroyer, and finished the two year tour a month early to enroll in college. Left active duty as a QM3 (E-4). Started college, hated it, and three months later enlisted in the USN for 4 years. They let me keep my crow. Went to a pre-commissioning crew for a new DDG, finished my 4 years, left active duty as a QM1, and returned to my hometown with wife and 9 month old son. 2 1/2 years later, as Viet Nam was really heating up, again joined the local USNR unit as an E-6. Made Chief (E-7) three years later. Returned to college on the G.I. Bill, dropped out after three years and joined the local Police Dept. Took a leave of absence a year later to return to college for a year, and graduated with a B.S. in Law Enforcement and
Corrections. Rose quickly through the police ranks, and spent 27 years with the PD, the last eight years as Chief of Police. 12 years before I retired from the USNR, I applied for the Warrant Program, and was selected for W-2 (Chief Boatswain) on the first try.
After I was promoted to W-4, I got a call from an office at the Washington Navy Yard, asking if I would affiliate with Red Cell, Seal Team Six as a Technical Observer. The caller explained that his unit had asked USNR for the names of every Naval Reservist in the nation that were law enforcement officers. I agreed after talking to the city mananager, and called the guy back. I told him that there were two other members of the dept that were reservists, both E-6 Master-At-Arms. He told me their names, and they would get a call also. We all traveled with the team on training missions around the world, and our job was to train the various stations and ships on dealing with terrorist attacks. This was before Desert Shield. I was required to retire after 32 years total service, and now enjoy the Navy pension, and Tricare for Life health benefits.
I have an excellent police pension, but my Navy pension pays more. Enjoyed every second of the USNR, and was upset that I had to retire.
I and my family just returned from the Army's Shades of Green Resort on the Disney World property. My room rates and tickets were about half to 75% of what civilians paid.

Sugarfree
09-19-2007, 10:40
Originally posted by squidville_1975
MA in the U.S. Naval Reserves? I have two letters for you - I.A. (Individual Augmentee).

I'm thinking the same thing. Might as well go AD and get it all.

When I went reserve I thought it was boring. Basically two days a month to keep up with your paperwork and evals and such. I returned to active duty after 11 months in the SELRES. However, what you do on reserve time depends on your rate and your location.