Trade an 02 SV650S for an 06 KLR 650? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trade an 02 SV650S for an 06 KLR 650?

michaelj1978
07-23-2007, 10:34
I posted my SV up for sale on craigslist. Don't really want to sell it, hence the high price of $4,850. It's a silver 02 with 11.5k miles on it. Not a scratch, TBR exhaust, GSXR shock, racetech springs/emulators/heavy oil up front. SS brake lines, pro frame sliders, Carb mods to fit the exhaust and a few other odds and ends here and there. Realistically it's probably worth 4K or less. You don't come across many 1st generation SV's as clean as mine and with a much better than stock suspension set up. Like I said if it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell and I'll keep riding it on occasion. Sometimes you'll find a kid who's set on a particular bike and will spend more than what it blue books to get it, that's what I'm waiting for.

...The other day I got an email from a guy down in Springfield who has an 06 Red KLR 650, with 3,300 miles and he's looking to trade it for the SV. I've seen a few of them sell on ebay that year and condition for a couple hundred more or less than the $4,000 mark. The only mods he's done is an exhaust, which I'll probably switch back to stock. No need for a loud KLR.

Does this sound like a good deal for a straight up trade? Ask him for a little cash on the side or just leave it as is?

I do like the KLR's and do want to get one, though I haven't had a chance to ride one yet. My other choice in a bike is a Suzuki M109r, but it's out of my cash price range and I don't want to take out a loan for a motorcycle, as they run around 10-11K new.

fnfalman
07-23-2007, 11:02
Consider that the 08 KLR isn't that expensive and it has a lot better chassis & suspension, I'd suggest that you keep the well appointed SV and get yourself a brand new KLR. My friend just got his KLR and simply loved it. He was riding a metric cruiser of some sort before and it was too rough for his lower back (parachute injuries back in the Army days) so he went with the 08 KLR and he liked it a lot. Motorcyclist Magazine just did an article on the 08 and they said it improved considerably over the older model.

stmcelroy
07-25-2007, 16:53
I'd say if you will get more use out of the KLR, then by all means trade it.

Just curious, but why are you trying to get rid of the SV? No time to ride or just burnt out?

Steve

michaelj1978
07-26-2007, 09:46
Originally posted by stmcelroy
I'd say if you will get more use out of the KLR, then by all means trade it.

Just curious, but why are you trying to get rid of the SV? No time to ride or just burnt out?

Steve

I really love the SV, and would keep it, but I don't want to finance a bike again. There is nothing wrong with it (besides the fact my tags expired in April of '04:shocked: ). I don't really have a lot of time to get it on the street that much. Over the last 2-3 years I've had it out a dozen times. Getting married, buying a home, having a son, feeding two dogs and taking care of the house and lawn, on top of work and fishing once a month restricts my riding time. I also think with the responsibilities I've taken (house, wife, child) that it seems a lot riskier to be running around on the street.

With the KLR I could take it on my fishing trips. I make a trip out to Perry lake in KS and they have lots of trails. There are also a couple other KLR riders around town who do a lot of trail/dirt road riding and that seems like something a lot safer than street. I'm sure I'd fall more off road but I'm not running around traffic either that could hit me.

stmcelroy
07-26-2007, 09:51
Originally posted by michaelj1978
I really love the SV, and would keep it, but I don't want to finance a bike again. There is nothing wrong with it (besides the fact my tags expired in April of '04:shocked: ). I don't really have a lot of time to get it on the street that much. Over the last 2-3 years I've had it out a dozen times. Getting married, buying a home, having a son, feeding two dogs and taking care of the house and lawn, on top of work and fishing once a month restricts my riding time. I also think with the responsibilities I've taken (house, wife, child) that it seems a lot riskier to be running around on the street.

With the KLR I could take it on my fishing trips. I make a trip out to Perry lake in KS and they have lots of trails. There are also a couple other KLR riders around town who do a lot of trail/dirt road riding and that seems like something a lot safer than street. I'm sure I'd fall more off road but I'm not running around traffic either that could hit me.

Well it looks like you answered your own question right there. The KLR would get you back on a bike and enjoying life much more than the SV currently does.

I see no reason to have a bike sitting around most of the time, that is not being used.

I've got 3 kids with one more coming in the next 3 weeks(1, 8 & 10) and have been only riding for the last 3 months, but i'm loving it. It gives me my free time to think without being interrupted by my cell phone. Luckily right now I am able to commute to work 18 miles in the country.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Steve

Rinspeed
07-26-2007, 10:38
Originally posted by michaelj1978
Getting married, buying a home, having a son, feeding two dogs and taking care of the house and lawn, on top of work and fishing once a month restricts my riding time.

It just keeps getting worse my friend.

rdrcr56
08-05-2007, 18:01
I've got an 06 KLR and like it alot, ride a fair amount of trails here in Colo. Suprisingly it does o.k. on some pretty knarly stuff untill it's in a bad spot to pick up, like upside down in 3ft. of mud 10mi. back in the hills by needles eye tunnel, thought I was gonna have a heart attack. A freind of mine is talking about a ride from here to the tip of baja, over on the ferry and then up through copper canyon.

popnfresh
09-20-2007, 01:49
NO! Don't trade even. You can buy a brand new 07 for $4200 at a dealer.

And the 08 is not greatly improved over the previous years.
The 08 suspension in not better than the previous years. It has over1" less travel front and back, no more preload adjustment in the forks, the rear shock preload adjuster is known for failures.

The great CLAIMED improvement, is the progressive rate springs over straight rate, which doent really matter because it sprung for a 150lb. rider.

The 08 still has all the same little problems previous years owner were fixing, plus some new ones. No more flexible tupperware body work, now it has crackable stiff bodywork.

Still has the same poor balancer chain tensioner system that parts of which will need replacement with superior aftermarket parts.

I can make a list if anyone is interested.

Other than being less offroad worthy due to lost suspension travel, slightly better headlight, charging sytem, and different bodywork it is the same bike.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
09-20-2007, 05:51
...and supposedly the 08 makes a little more power but is significantly heavier. I've been giving them a good look too!

michaelj1978
09-20-2007, 09:05
I have also heard that the 03-05's were made in Thailand or somewhere like that and have had more problems than the 90-04's. Just a rumor?

sdsnet
09-20-2007, 09:29
I would keep your SV. It is an excellent bike and you will miss it if you only have an on/off road bike like a KLR or XR. I don't think it would be a fair trade for you.

popnfresh
09-20-2007, 14:28
I guess I came off a little negative toward the 08 KLR . Don't get me wrong the 08 is still a great bike but I think they went the wrong way with the "improvements". The improvements are more for marketing in my opinion.

Less weight and more suspension travel would be an improvement that would actually mean something. REALLY fixing the balancer system, that Kaw has refused to even acknowledge for the past 20 years would be an improvement.

It does have better a little better brakes, larger front rotor anyway. They did some head work and timing changes to gain a claimed 1 or 2 HP.

Pre 08s weigh 411 lbs. fully "fluided" the 08 weighs 427 lbs., so not really much more weight and would go unnoticed on road, but they should have gone lighter. The factory dry weight claims are way off.

There were some assembled in Thailand but there is no difference in reliability or any added problems.

The OP would most likely be happy with the 06 as long as he realizes that it is not going to be as smooth and quiet as the SV, but he should get about $600-$1000 to boot for make it a fair deal. I paid $4299 for my brand new 07.

I love my KLR I put 900-1000 miles a month on mine. I ride it to work everyday rain or shine. My commute is on the freeway and my KLR has no problem traveling 75 to 85 mph the whole way. It handles like a sportbike, sits high to see and be seen in traffic. Aside from it's weight, it is great offroad but I do use ALL of the suspension and ALL of it's power.

I am disappointed that when it wears out I won't be able to replace it with another because Kawasaki is going the wrong way. I guess I will have to cough up an extra $4000 and get a BMW Xcountry.

whogasak47
09-20-2007, 16:44
Both bikes are great. I think it is a good and fair deal for both of you. If you ever wanted to get off the beaten path, That KLR will show you things a Sv just isn't made to do. I hope it works out for you. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup: