Rotation/cyclic rubbing noise. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rotation/cyclic rubbing noise.

nsb22
07-23-2007, 23:08
I have a 92 CBR600F2. There is a rubbing noise that increases with frequency as the speeds increase. It is not a constant rub, but more on just one part of the rotation of whatever is rubbing. It sounds like it is coming from under neath the rider in the engine area.

I'm pretty sure it's not the breaks because when you apply the brakes, the noise is still there.

The sprockets are tight and the chain is good. For a short period tonight I could feel it in the rear tire (like going over small bumps, except this was a smooth road) and for the last mile of my ride I could feel it in my foot pegs.

Pulling in the clutch makes no difference in the noise. Applying the brakes makes no difference either, other than the fact that the frequency slows down as the bike slows down.

Also now that I think of it. The bike has gotten a wee bit wobbly on me this last week or 2. Not extremely, but noticeably wobbly.

fnfalman
07-24-2007, 08:41
Check the rear wheel bearings!!! Weird noises from the bottom plus wobble almost equals to the rear wheel bearing giving out on you.

nsb22
07-24-2007, 08:59
Thank you sir. I take it I need to just park it until I can fix it? That's a bummer. :supergrin:

fnfalman
07-24-2007, 17:02
Rear wheel bearing is only one of the possibilities. But yes, park that thing. Don't ride on any moto that feels "wobbly". That's just asking for a hurtin'.

NMGlocker
07-24-2007, 20:19
Could be a cush drive issue as well.

HollowHead
07-24-2007, 20:56
How old is your drive chain? When chains wear out they usually develop tight and slack parts and the chain will hit the rub shoe (if your bike has one) with different pressure during each rotation. Put the bike on the centerstand and turn the rear wheel by hand and watch the chain. If it goes tight and slack while you're spinning the wheel, there's your likely problem. Hope this helps. HH

Compy
07-25-2007, 14:20
Sounds like your wheel is out of balance.

HollowHead
07-26-2007, 22:50
Originally posted by Compy
Sounds like your wheel is out of balance.

Can you hear a wheel out of balance? HH

Compy
07-27-2007, 02:24
Originally posted by HollowHead
Can you hear a wheel out of balance? HH

Yeah, actually, you can. I threw the weight on my old bike, the wheel went so out of balance the brake rotor would rub the pad once each rotation, which I could hear. I had the wheel rebalanced, problem went away.

nsb22
07-27-2007, 21:48
I found out that the type of chain that was placed on my bike only lasts about 300 miles, which I have exceeded quite a bit. Sunday we will be putting on a X-ring chain. :supergrin: We'll start there.

I did order a full set of bearings, as I got them for dirt cheap on e-bay. If it isn't the chain then we'll try the bearings.

If it was the wheel out of balance and rubbing the pads on the rotor, wouldn't that noise go a way once the brakes were applied?