Collier County?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Collier County??

Sgt. Rambo
07-24-2007, 10:21
Hey Florida GTers, greetings from NJ. I'm looking to relocate, I have less than 24 months here to retire and then I'm looking at FL, TX, or NM to start over again. I'm looking for help with information pros and cons on all of Collier County. I'm looking at applying with their Sherrifs Dept.
Here in NJ I have 6 acres and several critters including horses. Any good horse country there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Gmountain
07-24-2007, 15:45
There's good horse country, but it's farther north, around Ocala. That's a fast growing area too.

noway
07-24-2007, 16:55
Better horse country would be around highlands/glades/okeechoobee county and northward

curious how/why is collier on your list? You have friends, family in that area ?

Sgt. Rambo
07-25-2007, 07:34
Originally posted by noway
Better horse country would be around highlands/glades/okeechoobee county and northward

curious how/why is collier on your list? You have friends, family in that area ?

Mother is in Northport, Collier always seems to be hiring. Any other suggestions are welcome. It doesn't seem as crowded as the East Coast and I would like to be on the Gulf Coast.

Dual_40's
08-03-2007, 18:07
If you have family in North Port i would go there. Naples is booming far too quicly. Plus it will cost alot more to live there. I live between Naples and North Port. I prefer north port. Land is cheaper, theres alot more of it. Naples is full of rich snobs. Other then that i would agree with Glades, Okeechobee. I hunt there alot and wish i lived there. Very quiet and peacful. Lotsa land to be had there also.

noway
08-04-2007, 11:56
Is this North Port in the charlette area county ? I myself have been looking for land off hwy80 in Hendry county ( LaBelle ) but so far , have came up with bumpkis. LaBelle has alot of open area, alot less than napels, much lesser than Okeechoobe City and mucho less than SE coast florida.

edit: LaBelle or any where Hendry County, could be a alternative to Collier and is only a hop and big jump away. Just something to think about .

Sgt. Rambo
08-04-2007, 12:01
North port really seemed to be growing too. Hate to put it this way...lol but I sent my mother down to Collier to scout it out. She didn't like Naples at all. I will continue to check on things and take in everyone's advice which I greatly appreciate, keep it coming.

Dual_40's
08-04-2007, 13:58
Originally posted by noway
Is this North Port in the charlette area county ? I myself have been looking for land off hwy80 in Hendry county ( LaBelle ) but so far , have came up with bumpkis. LaBelle has alot of open area, alot less than napels, much lesser than Okeechoobe City and mucho less than SE coast florida.

edit: LaBelle or any where Hendry County, could be a alternative to Collier and is only a hop and big jump away. Just something to think about .

Yeah North Port is Just into Sarasota county. Just past Port Charolette

Drbironhead
08-06-2007, 08:45
I just moved from north port fl to fort myers north port is ok its in southern Sarasota county. It does have its crime their but so does fort myers. Collier county is great i work their as an E.P.A. the sheriffs department is great their to. Now Sarasota county sheriffs don't make that much i think maybe around the low 30,000 range and Charlotte county are only hire ring for their jail because they just expanded it for more inmates, but after 2 years they will put u on the road. Lee County is hiring road and jail deputies.so i hope i helped u out with your dilemma.

Kingslayer
08-09-2007, 15:04
Ocala is horse country, but it's racing horse country, i.e. expensive. South Central Florida is horse country, but it's cowboy horse country.

If you have family in North Port, then it's not a bad area. Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda isn't bad. I'm in P.C.. Arcadia is slowly but surely starting to get better and have less immigrants every day, but that is because the orange groves are being destroyed due to fungus and the orange farmers (?) are selling that land to developers.

When it comes to shooting, this area pretty much sucks. There is the public range which is an accidental killing waiting to happen. The private ranges in Ft. Myers as far as I'm concerned suck. The only good range is the Ft. Myers Sheriff's Office range. Half of it is open to the public, but they only allow frangible ammo.

The gun shops are OK. One of 16 WalMarts still sells guns and ammo. A local bait shop will order ammo for you if you ask and their prices aren't bad.

Houses aren't selling right now. Everything is over priced.