T1 hardware question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : T1 hardware question

havensal
07-24-2007, 12:44
We have a managed T1 line here.
I wasn't in IT when it was installed, so I am trying to catch up.
Here is a rough diagram I made up of the hardware we have:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerj2pq//DIAGRAM.JPG

I have a few questions.
First, the reason I am even looking into all of this is to determine how to disconnect the incoming T1 line when I set up our new server. From what I read, it is recommended unhooking the internet where it comes in rather than where it connects to the network.

Second, what exactly do all of these boxes do?
I know the PIX box is our hardware firewall, but for the rest I am a little unsure. We also used to have a VPN to our sister plant in another state, but we shut that off a few years ago. I have read what the CSU/DSU do. I am assuming the modem is for remote access to the PIX box.

:)

WhatYouWant
07-24-2007, 22:23
When you say server what exactly do you mean? There are different types and it would be helpful to know.

If I am replacing an actual server then the only network disconnect I will do is on the back of the server (and plug it into the new server).

If I am replacing a network switch then I will disconnect the uplink and plug it into the new network switch that is already pre-configured. I will then move the other connections onto the new switch.

havensal
07-25-2007, 05:34
It is our Win2k server. We are purchasing a new one with Win2003 SBS. It is our DNS server. Part of the setup and migration recommends disconnecting the internet, not the network. I assume you want all of the hardware you can still connected while migrating for discovery reasons. I think that is why the want the internet disconnected at the farthest outward point.

This is the first time I have set up a server, so I may be over thinking this. I am still researching this as much as I can before taking the plunge. We haven't ordered the hardware yet, so I have a few weeks to plan.

WhatYouWant
07-25-2007, 18:18
- does this server provide DHCP?
- is it a domain controller?
- does it have active directory?

havensal
07-25-2007, 18:36
Originally posted by WhatYouWant
- does this server provide DHCP?
- is it a domain controller?
- does it have active directory?

Yes, Yes and Yes. ;)

BTW I may need to speed this install up. When I restarted earlier tonight I got an error; KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR :shocked:

I fear the end is near. I have some research to do to see what may have caused this error. I have had one SCSI drive lose connection twice in the last week.:shocked:

havensal
07-25-2007, 18:41
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228753

It Is the SCSI drive. :shocked:

WhatYouWant
07-25-2007, 20:24
I have very little experience messing with any of these items in a production network (read: following what I say will most likely cause a severe screw up).

Since it is a domain controller you should be able to "slave" the replacement server to pickup the information from the older server. Everything I have heard is that having a SINGLE domain controller is a really bad idea.

I suggest you find a company that can help you do the implementation of a new domain controller.

Mug
07-25-2007, 20:59
Well easiest way to remove it from the internet is remove the default gateways in your tcp/ip settings on the server and not actually disconnect anything physically. Of course I am assuming that the server you are migrating to is on the same network and routing is not required. Unfortunately with a SBS server you do not get the luxury of running a secondary (slave) domain controller. Is your existing server an SBS edition or a standard 2000 server? There are a few articles on the MS site that give good step by step instructions on how to perform the migration but can be a pain to find them.

havensal
07-26-2007, 09:07
We are currently running Win 2000 server, I don't see any reference to it being SBS. The new one will have SBS 2003.

I have found a few articles on migration. I have been reading them. That is where they recomend disconnecting from the web.

I may be able to handle this, I hope. :nailbiting:

WhatYouWant
07-26-2007, 16:50
Originally posted by havensal
We are currently running Win 2000 server, I don't see any reference to it being SBS. The new one will have SBS 2003.

I have found a few articles on migration. I have been reading them. That is where they recomend disconnecting from the web.

I may be able to handle this, I hope. :nailbiting:

He was probably mentioning the whole replacement is SMS 2003. Can you get away with multiple replacement servers :supergrin:? How big is the current office? What functions of SBS will you be using (email? dns? Y, act dir? Y, dom ctrl? Y, etc).

Depending upon your hardware configuration you can get some good low end servers for less than 3G w/3 yr warranty. This would help you provide redundancy as well.