Anyone near Raleigh? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Raleigh?

BigKen
07-24-2007, 16:47
Looking for other shooters in the Raleigh area to get together with to do some shooting with.

~BigKen~

SR_
07-24-2007, 19:35
The first two Sundays of each month a number of us gather about 40 minutes from downtown Raleigh for a local IDPA match. They are a lot of fun. Link (http://users.gloryroad.net/~idpa/)

We also gather on the south side of Raleigh the second Saturday each month for a friendly IDPA type match. www.goshoot.com

blipmode
07-26-2007, 18:54
Mighty scary avatar.

BigKen
07-27-2007, 23:22
Originally posted by SR_
The first two Sundays of each month a number of us gather about 40 minutes from downtown Raleigh for a local IDPA match. They are a lot of fun. Link (http://users.gloryroad.net/~idpa/)

We also gather on the south side of Raleigh the second Saturday each month for a friendly IDPA type match. www.goshoot.com

Yeah I shoot at PDHSC once in a while.

KOGLOBAL
07-28-2007, 06:47
I live in N. Raleigh, and have been looking for an outdoor range. Been trying to get into Sir Walter Raleigh gun club, but don't know the secret handshake....any other ideas for outdoor shooting time?

Bogey
07-28-2007, 15:38
Originally posted by KOGLOBAL
I live in N. Raleigh, and have been looking for an outdoor range. Been trying to get into Sir Walter Raleigh gun club, but don't know the secret handshake....any other ideas for outdoor shooting time?

You might like it here. http://the-range.com/

Sapperstang
07-29-2007, 11:27
Live in N. Raleigh. Would like to find a good outdoor place I can go to.

BigKen
07-29-2007, 15:31
Originally posted by Bogey
You might like it here. http://the-range.com/

Not much info on the website. Do they have a normal range or is it all IDPA?

SR_
07-29-2007, 19:48
I has 6 bays. Five are pistol bays. The 6th is a rifle bay - I think it goes out to 300 yards. However, I'm not sure where Frank stands as far as allowing new members.

If interested, you might want to shoot a few IDPA matches and let him get to know you.... Might make a difference in being able to join.

Depending on where you live, there might be ranges that are closer. I know of Durham Wildlife - in the RTP. You can google to get information. On the south side of town, there is the Lee County range - no website. Has a 100yd rifle range and a pistol berm at ~25 yards.

There is also the Wake County Range - wonderful facility but limited hours. has pistol, 75 yard rifle and 100 meter rifle bays.

PDHSC on the south side of town. Davis on the north side (longer range, allow rifles, but I've never found them very friendly).

planewinch
07-30-2007, 23:54
Since u are already in north Raleigh, consider driving almost to Louisburg to SSI, an outdoor range just south of Louisburg.
Range officers work at Young Guns in Apex so just give them a call and they can fill in the details.
There are 5 pistol berms, one rifle range set at 100 or 200 yards. And a shotgun area with a couple throwers.

Steve

KOGLOBAL
07-31-2007, 05:08
Steve,Thanks for the heads up, I will call Young Guns today.

SR_
07-31-2007, 07:25
KOGLOBAL, let us know what you hear about SSI. There was a posting on a forum that the club is full and no consideration of new members until 2008.

blipmode
07-31-2007, 12:47
KOGLOBAL, BigKen, & Sapperstang,

I'll be happy to take you to SSI whenever you have some time.
It's ~14 miles north of Rolesville.
PM me for more info.

planewinch,
Are you the same Steve who knows John W. ?

KOGLOBAL
08-01-2007, 06:28
Blipmode, PM sent, thanks!

stormbringer66
08-01-2007, 09:27
Hey all, I finally came to my senses and will be leaving california for good. I will be living in the west end/pinehurst area but will gladly drive up to Raleigh to meet and go shooting with fellow GT'rs.
I'll be out by Sept 2nd.

Don't worry Iam not a Typical californian, in fact I will turn out the lights and lower the flag as I think I was the last person to be born there,

I was stationed in NC in the 80's and could never wait to get back "home"

Hope to meet up with some of you soon.

KOGLOBAL
08-03-2007, 06:54
on a related note, went to Eagle1 yesterday on Craftsman Drive (near old Davi's location) and checked out their indoor range(I think it just opened this week for the first time). It's pretty nice, with a very friendly staff. 8 lanes, 25yd range, and for me, is closer than Davi's or PDHSC (not knocking either of those places, ok, knocking Davi's, don't care for the attitudes there). It was $13 per hour I believe (they have memberships too, just haven't bought one yet,pending joining an out door range), and had your usual selection of targets,etc. Quite a good selection of guns and supplies too. Anywho, just thought I'd share the info of another place Raleigh area shooters can check out. Here's their website

http://www.eagle1supply.com/indoorfiringrange.php

blipmode
08-03-2007, 13:07
Thanks for that, KO. I had no idea they had opened up another range after Davi's left.

Welcome, stormbringer66.

Skydivn Shooter
08-09-2007, 18:16
Been trying to get into Sir Walter Raleigh gun club, but don't know the secret handshake

Hey KO, after seeing you last weekend at SWGC, can I assume that you figured out the secret handshake?:) Was it HOT or what? Everyone - IPSC/USPSA at Sir Walter Gun Club is open to the public on the 1st Sat of each month! Check out the web site if needed.

blipmode, KO told me Eagle1 did not occupy the same space Davi's had before but they are on the same street. Heck, short street though, can't be too hard to find.

stormbringer66, a big welcome "home" when you get here bro! Let us know if you'll be late and we'll leave the light on for ya!

KOGLOBAL
08-10-2007, 05:35
Hey there Skydiving Shooter. We definitely had a good time last weekend at Sir Walter, it was definitely hot, but could you imagine doing it yesterday or today....man it's hot! Jay called me Monday night with the results, and I wasn't too upset by the score. I know there is much room for improvement, but for the first time, not too bad.

As far as Eagle 1, if you went down Market St., (past old Davi's location on your left) it dead ends into Craftsman drive, if you went straight at the stop sign you'd run into the building that houses Eagle 1, signs are posted outside, can't miss it.

Still interested in hitting SSI with you Blipmode, I'm thinking it might be cool enough in December or so---haha. Everyone have a great weekend!

stormbringer66
08-10-2007, 11:49
Thank's guys i will be out there after the holiday, I figure about 30 days to get job housing figured out then I'll be at the range at least once a week.

Hope to meet you soon.

spober
08-11-2007, 10:40
Originally posted by SR_
KOGLOBAL, let us know what you hear about SSI. There was a posting on a forum that the club is full and no consideration of new members until 2008. man i tryed that place 6 maby 7 years ago.talk about a secreat handshake!im fortunate in that i have several freinds were i can shoot.thay live on multi acre farms and such.

blipmode
08-13-2007, 17:56
Still interested in hitting SSI with you Blipmode, I'm thinking it might be cool enough in December or so---haha. Everyone have a great weekend!

This weekend looks like 90
Saturday or Sunday.

What will it be. Anyone ?

blip

KOGLOBAL
08-17-2007, 07:14
Blip, if the offer is still out there, Saturday (I work until noon) or Sunday (I'm off) would be awesome for me, thanks for the offer.

blipmode
08-17-2007, 12:17
Blip, if the offer is still out there, Saturday (I work until noon) or Sunday (I'm off) would be awesome for me, thanks for the offer.

How about Sunday ?
My wife will be there too, and maybe another 'regular' shooter.
I'll send you contact info via PM.

Anyone else ?

KOGLOBAL
08-20-2007, 11:37
Blipmode, thanks for having us out on Sunday, nice meeting you and your wife. It was definitely a good time. Did you get your AR-15 issue resolved?

blipmode
08-20-2007, 15:08
Blipmode, thanks for having us out on Sunday, nice meeting you and your wife. It was definitely a good time. Did you get your AR-15 issue resolved?

Our pleasure & anytime. Wish we could've stayed longer.
I'm happy to know that big scary guy didn't shoot you or something ;)

I've run some abrasives in the chamber of the AR so se'll see next time. I'll let you know when we head out (hopefully a little cooler) next time.

blip

kma1005
08-20-2007, 22:03
Live in Cary, been shooting since March, I used to shoot regularly at PDHSC then when I bought my AR-15 there I had to go to Davi's I agree with everyone on here, it sucks. Davi's reminds me of a Wal-Mart, and PDHSC would be the mom and pop store. Far as I'm concerned PDHSC gets my business any day of the week. Even though Davi's gives LEO discounts I've got a membership with PDHSC so I'd much rather shoot my G17 there anyway, much frienderly(SP?) people, all the guys are real nice. Anyway, I'm a "newb" to guns and really would like to have someone help me out, kind of teach me the ropes, let me shoot/show me their guns know what I mean? For future reference I'm the type of person to offer all the monetary assistance I can when someone offers me their assistance.

Kind of wanted to start shooting IDPA but I'm not confident enough about my shooting.

KOGLOBAL
08-21-2007, 07:38
Originally posted by blipmode
Our pleasure & anytime. Wish we could've stayed longer.
I'm happy to know that big scary guy didn't shoot you or something ;)

I've run some abrasives in the chamber of the AR so se'll see next time. I'll let you know when we head out (hopefully a little cooler) next time.

blip

The big scary guy took it easy on us--haha. We did forget to grab some targets from you before you left, so we had a good time Macgyver-ing some things to shoot, but it was fun regardless. I'm all for going out again, definitely when it's cooler out.

Thanks again.

Skydivn Shooter
08-22-2007, 19:50
Kind of wanted to start shooting IDPA but I'm not confident enough about my shooting.

kma1005: Come build your confidence! Come shoot IPSC/USPSA with us at SWGC! First Sat of each month in Creedmore. I guarantee a good shooting time and we love new shooters! Bring a handgun, holster, about 300 rounds and and at least enough mag capacity to complete a single 32 round (max) stage.

Its a whole lot funner than standing in a lane and shooting in the dark. Just ask KO!

kma1005
08-22-2007, 20:07
I've got to get myself a holster first, I'm assuming it would need to be OWB and of course I'd need a mag holder, unless I can use my 33 rnd mag for my G17 :supergrin:

Skydivn Shooter
08-22-2007, 21:01
The very best thing to do is to download and read the rule book from the USPSA website. It'll tell you what gear is legal and all as well as what to expect at your first match.

If a holster is all you need, I have a spare Blackhawk Sherpa "NIB" that would fit your G17. PM me your info.

kma1005
08-23-2007, 01:26
Wow SWGC Sir Walter Gun Club right?
I can't afford to join there, was just reading, it would be like $500+ out of pocket, I can barely afford to buy ammo to shoot with, much less pay that kind of range fees.
Oh yea well I guess I would actually need to get a belt and quite a few magazine holders and a holster, so that would add to my out of pocket cost. Maybe when tax refund time comes around I'll get to be able to join in. First year with a child (big refund YAY) :)

KOGLOBAL
08-23-2007, 05:44
First and foremost, it is a great time shooting the first Saturday of each month out at Sir Walter. It was the first time I had competed (if you can call my performance competing--haha) in anything like that, and it was great. We let the RO know that we were newbies, and they really walked us through, and made us feel comfortable. It's a bit intimidating to see these guys with their $4000 guns, and sponsors and all that jazz, but it's really all about having a good time. My times were very slow, and I was at the bottom of the barrel score-wise, but can't think of a better day of shooting. Go out there, be safe, and have fun, that's what it's all about.

Skydivn Shooter, see you on September 1st?

kma1005
08-23-2007, 05:55
But I read the info on SWGC correctly right? About how expensive it is?

KOGLOBAL
08-23-2007, 06:00
I wouldn't worry about joining right now, from what I understand, there is a waiting list, and yes, it is sorta pricey to join. Have to buy stock in their land company, then pay yearly dues, but it is a really nice club. I'm not a member, and wonder if I ever will be, because of the waiting list and cost. It only costs 20 bucks to shoot the matches there on the first Saturday of every month. I'm pretty sure you can shoot for free if a member invites you out there, Skydivn Shooter, correct me if I'm wrong.

Skydivn Shooter
08-23-2007, 18:27
KO is correct (as usual), the charge to shoot IPSC at SWGC is $20 per match for non-members and quite frankly, most of that goes to off-set the cost of targets, pasters, barricades etc. I am a member so I'm biased but I believe that we put on one of the best matches around. It doesn't matter if you are a first time IPSC shooter or a seasoned pro. It's a hoot! And the score doesn't matter as long as you are having fun, right?

For all first time IPSC shooters, we give a $20 credit certificate that you can use for your second match with us. The business decision behind that is that we want you to come back!

So, for $20 and about 200 rounds of ammo, you get to double-tap 12-15 different targets on six or seven different stages and you learn how to safely handle your handgun while engaging multiple targets, with movement.

Maybe its just me but I really dig this stuff.

RUReady
08-23-2007, 19:09
Hi all..since this is my first post in this section of Glock talk I'll introduce myself. My names Bill and I've been shooting competitively in IPSC/USPSA since 1981. I'm a member of SWGC and have been for a long time. We in Raleigh area are very fortunate in having a variety of matches to shoot..USPSA, IDPA, and a hybrid of USPSA and IDPA. We call them fun matches. SWGC is kinda pricey for a reason..we had to buy our land and develop it. SSI is a nice range but it's more or less fell into disuse where competition goes which is a shame. I was a member of that range also. The Range in Oxford runs a first rate IDPA match twice a month. PDHSC runs a IDPA match the 2nd sat of each month. Range 14 in Fay runs a USPSA match the 2nd sat also. Rocky Mount, Pitt Co run the Hybrid match. The Range is going to run one the last weekend in Sep and see if enough folks shoot it to make it worth his while. Anyway..if anybody ever needs equip to shoot I'm sure we can come up with enough to loan for the matches. Hope to see ya'll at the range..

kma1005
08-24-2007, 00:42
ok so it's not that bad up front to shoot in the match there I see, I just need a belt, holster, and magazine holders, :) loaners would work for me :) or paid for over a little bit of time
got a Glock 17 so if anyone is rather generous that would rock :)

Pinki
08-24-2007, 19:41
You may also want to consider IDPA in Oxford the first and second Sunday of every month. http://users.gloryroad.net/~idpa/
It's $15. a match and everyone is extremely helpful. I'm a beginner and they just told me to learn as I shoot (matches). :thumbsup:

f1b32oPTic
08-30-2007, 17:05
i want to go shooting!:mallninja:

Skydivn Shooter
09-04-2007, 15:15
Hey KO - we missed you on Sat at the IPSC match. Heard you had to work - bummer. JLP had a much better match and it wasn't near as hot as the August match. Let's go drill holes in paper soon!

RUReady (or anyone else that knows)- They announced a fun match on the fifth Sunday in September but I forgot where? Butner or Oxford? As usual I was just half paying attention during the briefing.

RUReady
09-04-2007, 15:22
The fun match will be held at The Range in Oxford the last Sunday of this month. This is the same format as Pitt Co's and Rocky Mount. The format is USPSA style shooting scored IDPA. Also, you may load your weapon up to it's capacity. A glock 17 would be allowed to load 18 rds. There are 2 divisions. Single and Double Stack. Glocks, S&W's, CZ's, STI's, SVI's all compete equally as there is no major/minor power factoring. No cover garment, no cover call nonsense..shoot within the fault lines and as much as you wish. anybody wishing more info contact me.

KOGLOBAL
09-05-2007, 05:13
Skydivn Shooter, yeah, unfortunately I had to work last Saturday, I would have much rather been punching holes, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Wouldn't mind checking out the other match you were talking about, could be fun. Glad Jay did better this time, and I'm really glad it was cooler for you guys. How many people did you guys have show up this time? I look forward to getting out over the next couple of weekends to shoot some, if you find free time, and want some company, give me a shout, Jay has my number.

Skydivn Shooter
09-05-2007, 19:08
KO, we had 78 shooters and 7 awesome stages. Typical, I did okay on most stages but I wish I had a couple to do over again. My dog ate the stage briefing, the sun was in my eyes, my gun malfunctioned and my boot was untied - whatever.

Yep, I absolutely want to shoot the Oxford fun match. RUReady and Pgrl obviously think a lot of the folks at The Range, so I'm gonna check it out. It will be a hoot to shoot a match I don't have to help set up. Heck, after reading Pgrl's post, I may just start shooting IDPA there also.

I'm up for plinking or setting up a stage and practicing IPSC over the next two weekends. I'll PM or cell you.

RUReady
09-05-2007, 22:26
I see the Fun Match format as a way to bridge the gap between USPSA and IDPA. I'm one of the few crossover shooters in the area. There might be like 5-6 of us that shoot and enjoy both USPSA and IDPA. Both are fun, and valid sports.

KOGLOBAL
09-06-2007, 05:09
Sounds good to me, looking forward to it!:banana:

Pinki
09-09-2007, 08:52
Originally posted by Skydivn Shooter
KO, we had 78 shooters and 7 awesome stages. Typical, I did okay on most stages but I wish I had a couple to do over again. My dog ate the stage briefing, the sun was in my eyes, my gun malfunctioned and my boot was untied - whatever.

Yep, I absolutely want to shoot the Oxford fun match. RUReady and Pgrl obviously think a lot of the folks at The Range, so I'm gonna check it out. It will be a hoot to shoot a match I don't have to help set up. Heck, after reading Pgrl's post, I may just start shooting IDPA there also.

I'm up for plinking or setting up a stage and practicing IPSC over the next two weekends. I'll PM or cell you.

:thumbsup: :wavey:

BowHunter252
10-02-2007, 09:27
Any of you members of the Sir Walter Raleigh Gun Club know a man with the last name of Scales? I believe I had his wife as a professor in one of my classes at NC State:wavey:

Skydivn Shooter
10-02-2007, 17:45
Originally posted by BowHunter252
Any of you members of the Sir Walter Raleigh Gun Club know a man with the last name of Scales? I believe I had his wife as a professor in one of my classes at NC State:wavey:

Hey BowHunter252, I sent you a PM regarding your question.

KO, you missed a fantastic shootin' time at The Range this past weekend at the IPSC/USPSA Hybrid Fun Match. "Fun" being the prime word in that title. We got to shoot out of a van, over a car and through a truck, in a house (Frank's house of pain:) ). Heck, one stage had a 50 yard shot and several were run and gun stages - my favorite. What a blast. 68 shooters, six stages, ap 150 rounds. Just can't beat that.

Pgrl, where were you hiding? I looked all over for you:wavey:

RUREADY, the SSL I talked to you about finally shipped yesterday. (I swear, them guys at TopGlock.com let me down). If I get it in time, I'll bring it on Thursday when we set up for the IPSC NC Sectional Championship. See you there!

KOGLOBAL
10-04-2007, 08:39
Skydivn Shooter, I'll definitely have to check out the fun match next time, sounds like you guys had a blast! I've got to stop working so many Saturdays, I'm missing out on all the shooting that takes place, but I am saving up the overtime hours to purchase an AR-15, so I need to get some advice from you on that when you have a chance...

Pinki
10-04-2007, 10:18
Originally posted by Skydivn Shooter
Hey BowHunter252, I sent you a PM regarding your question.

KO, you missed a fantastic shootin' time at The Range this past weekend at the IPSC/USPSA Hybrid Fun Match. "Fun" being the prime word in that title. We got to shoot out of a van, over a car and through a truck, in a house (Frank's house of pain:) ). Heck, one stage had a 50 yard shot and several were run and gun stages - my favorite. What a blast. 68 shooters, six stages, ap 150 rounds. Just can't beat that.

Pgrl, where were you hiding? I looked all over for you:wavey:

RUREADY, the SSL I talked to you about finally shipped yesterday. (I swear, them guys at TopGlock.com let me down). If I get it in time, I'll bring it on Thursday when we set up for the IPSC NC Sectional Championship. See you there!

Sorry :sad: I'm not ready for that sort of shooting yet (if ever). I should be there Sunday I believe. :) :wavey: You can't miss me. I'll be the short Asian chick. :sad:

Bogey
10-06-2007, 10:08
Originally posted by Pgrl
Sorry :sad: I'm not ready for that sort of shooting yet (if ever). I should be there Sunday I believe. :) :wavey: You can't miss me. I'll be the short SEXY Asian chick. :sad:

Hiya sweetie!!!

See you tomorrow??? :supergrin:

Pinki
10-06-2007, 12:40
Originally posted by Bogey
Hiya sweetie!!!

See you tomorrow??? :supergrin:

:animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

I should be there Bogey! :hugs:

Skydivn Shooter
10-06-2007, 19:06
Oooh, I'm gonna miss IDPA tomorrow. We are right in the middle of the IPSC NC Championship at SWGC. We have hosted it for the past several years and all of us locals end up shooting on Friday and RO'ing on Saturday and Sunday. We have about 220 shooters registered over the three days.

I promise to get back to The Range as soon as I can. I am kinda diggin' that place. Frank puts on a good show.

Skydivn Shooter
10-06-2007, 19:15
Hey KO, you know that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....

Next thing you know, you'll be holed up in an old hotel looking at "REDRUM" written on the mirror.

Halloweenie is just around the corner.

Pinki
10-14-2007, 05:45
Another match today :):wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

J&J13
11-02-2007, 21:02
Live in N. Raleigh. Would like to find a good outdoor place I can go to.

I'm near Fayettenam. Check this place out if you're ever in the area: http://www.range-1.com/welcome.htm Pete's a good guy.

Take care

Skydivn Shooter
11-14-2007, 18:11
Hey All,
This past weekend my son and I participated in another very fun IPSC/IDPA hybrid "fun" match at Old Hickory Gun CLub in Rocky Mount, for nothing but bragging rights.

They had 32 shooters in two squads on four stages. Started at 10:00am and we were done by 1:00pm - ish.

The event was very well run at an excellent facility, a mondo hoot!

Second Saturday of each month. I'm inking it in on my calendar.