Transferring EIDE HD files to SATA HD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transferring EIDE HD files to SATA HD

rushdooney
07-24-2007, 22:16
Does anyone know of an efficient way to copy files from an EIDE drive (WD) to a new SATA drive (WD Raptor) using MB: ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX?

WhatYouWant
07-24-2007, 22:42
I am assuming you already have a drive with an OS in the computer.

Hook the EIDE drive upto the PATA port (with the ribbon cable). Hook the SATA drive upto a SATA port. Use your OS and copy files from one to the other.

I am tired, hope this is what you wanted.

IndyGunFreak
07-25-2007, 04:46
Originally posted by rushdooney
Does anyone know of an efficient way to copy files from an EIDE drive (WD) to a new SATA drive (WD Raptor) using MB: ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX?

This obviously isn't something permanent, so if you only have one IDE port(which is likely occupied by the CD/DVD drive), just unplug the optical drive and plug in your extra hard drive. Transfer your files, then plug the DVD drive back in.

Or, you could get all your data off the drive with this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1337265&Sku=V13-3210

Then once thats done, format the drive, and you'll have mass storage.

IGF

Blitzer
07-25-2007, 06:27
From one PC to another use Laplink's PC mover.

rushdooney
07-25-2007, 11:18
I appreciate all your helpful comments.

I found out my MB (ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX) has an IDE connection to it so I can attach my EIDE drive to it.

Since I can install both EIDE and SATA is it safe to assume that I can read and write between these two in XPPROF?

lens
07-25-2007, 16:08
Yes, you can read/write and copy between the drives in XP Pro (or any other OS).

DragonRider
07-25-2007, 16:25
yes, provided you did not put some security settings that mate the hd with that mobo.