Auto sports bikes ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Auto sports bikes ?

og556
07-25-2007, 22:21
Hey guys I have a really sissy question. Is there such thing as a good sports bike that is an automatic or at least with out a clutch ? I understand stunt bikes generally dont have clutch set-up how would that be for a daily driver situation ?

fnfalman
07-26-2007, 09:37
Aprilia is coming out with the 850 Mana as a sporty bike with an automatic tranny. I think that it's a CVT tranny like the mopeds. We shall see how good the bike is when it gets produced and test reports start to come in.

The Yamaja FJ just got a clutchless shift as an option.

Dynojet makes various QuickShifters for the popular sportbikes that allows for clutchless shifting. Of course you can always do the clutchless upshifts yourself too if you know what you're doing so that you won't blow out your clutch or tranny.

USMCsilver
07-26-2007, 10:52
Originally posted by fnfalman
The Yamaja FJ just got a clutchless shift as an option.

You mean pushbutton shift, don't you?

Well, guess we're both right -- no pulling in the clutch, while shifting up/down with the push of a button.

epsylum
07-26-2007, 11:25
Originally posted by USMCsilver
You mean pushbutton shift, don't you?

Well, guess we're both right -- no pulling in the clutch, while shifting up/down with the push of a button.

I hear that system is a POS.

Are you physically not capable of riding a manual or do you just not want to? I would suggest learning the manual if possible, it is not that hard.

Also, don't pay attention to anything on stunt bikes. They are built for stunting and stunting only. I know several people who do that and their bikes would be horrible, if not dangerous on the street with a casual rider.

HollowHead
07-26-2007, 22:47
Didn't the Hondamatic of the late seventies sell poorly while actually functioning quite well? HH

J.R. Bob Dobbs
08-01-2007, 13:46
I hate automatics in cages. Simply no way to drive it smoothly, when tipping in and out above 2/3 throttle ("hard" or hilly driving).

I can only imagine that an automatic in a bike would be even more annoying and make the bike harder to control with precision, and downright dangerous with a powerful bike in the same situation described above. And in the rain.....yikes!!!

ndbullet500
08-01-2007, 15:23
Yeah, Honda in the late 70s had one, sold poorly.

Moto Guzzi made one for quite a while. A powerglide auto if I recall correctly. Those are more popular...well, kinda...they probably sold less than Honda did, but a higher % of Guzzi sales. You can still find them around, but they aren't sportbikes.

The new Yamaha FJR with the autoclutch is apparently a PITA at slow speeds - pretty neat when the tranny suddenly is freewheeling during a 3mph U-turn. :shocked: