PDA

View Full Version : Scary news from Westerville

anyplainjoe
07-26-2007, 07:44
Two teens accused of plotting attacks on church, restaurants
Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:42 AM
By Laura Cole

WBNS-10TV
Two Westerville teens are accused of plotting to bomb a Catholic church and two area restaurants in a Columbine-style attack, investigators said.

Westerville police charged Scott Ennis, 16, and Daniel Woodrum, 15, each with delinquency counts of conspiracy to commit arson. Both are students at Westerville North High School.

The teens are accused of planning an ambush at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church and school, and at two area restaurants, Westerville Police Lt. Tracey Myers told WBNS-TV (Channel 10). Police wouldn't name the restaurants.

"They went as far as climbing up on the roof of the church and planning where they were going to put pipe bombs and figure out how they were actually going to do this," Myers said.

A 15-year-old girl called police after learning of the plans in an online chat on MySpace.com, Myers said. The girl said the pair planned to plant pipe bombs at the buildings and shoot people inside in a manner similar to attacks at Columbine and Virginia Tech. They discussed chaining the doors during a Mass, she said.

"I was really weirded out. I didn't know what to do or how to react to him," the girl told WBNS-TV. Her name wasn't released for her own protection.

She printed her chat messages and took them to Westerville police.

Woodrum, of Mulberry Way W., was in Delaware County juvenile jail after his arrest on Friday, his attorney Bob Krapenc said last night.

It was unclear whether Ennis was still there, although Westerville police said they believe he was. A woman who answered the phone at Ennis' home on Shagbark Drive refused to comment last night.

"I don't know the specifics of what they said or the intent," Krapenc said. "I don't even know if he was bragging and trying to impress someone."

Dispatch reporter Matthew Marx contributed to this story.

glockess56
07-26-2007, 09:34
This is really scary since I don't live that far from Westerville. What's getting in their heads? They can't be that bored this summer. This sounds more than just a prank, this sounds serious.

Brown Hawk
07-26-2007, 12:47
The really scary part is that CCW in churches is against the law (unless you get the pastor's okay). And if the targeted resturants serve alcohol, they are also off limits to CCW.

Gives added emphasis to the "Criminal Protection Zone" idea.

Hawk

JimBianchi
07-26-2007, 12:52
As soon as our home grown terrorists learn to keep their mouths shut about their activities we are in for a wave of bombings and killings.

Until then, let's kill'm all and let God sort them out.

LawDog2006
07-26-2007, 16:05
That's truly scary as the targeted church, St. Paul's, is my church. I would have been there sunday had I not been out of town. Thank God no one was hurt and these kids/soon-to-be-adjudicated-adults, were apprehended. However, I will definitely be in attendance at this coming Sunday's mass.

As far as carrying goes, I don't know if I would carry in my church. Even after this incident and one of an armed man trying to rob a different congregation in the Columbus area, the Lord's House strikes me as a weapon free zone by a power higher than our general assembly.

That said, I definitely disagree with the current no carry in class-D permit stores/restaurants. It's rather insane.

TurboRocket
07-30-2007, 20:09
I sure hope this was only juvenile tough-talk, rather than a bonafide plan.

Also, I haven't kept up lately since HB 347 became law in March, but what are the top items being "worked on" regarding CCW fixes? Does anyone know? The class D should be near number 1 in my book. Not for bars for me, but for restaurants. Can't even go to Chipotle's when carrying. The other fix to me would be to force businesses to post "no gun" signs at every entrance, and not just somewhere "conspicuous".