Ethernet Card not detected after Windows XP Reinstall? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Card not detected after Windows XP Reinstall?

Redsnake
07-26-2007, 07:59
OK, since I've had to reinstall Windows XP on my PC because of a boot-up issue (see link for details)

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=731785

I went in last night and tried to reinstall some software in order to get that PC back online (via cox cable and our motorola cable modem) and when installing the CD Software f/the Moto Modem... it gave me an error when checking the PC System performance and hardware.

The error was:

"Ethernet Card - Not Detected"

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I checked my cables and nothing has changed since the PC was working prior to the boot up problem. Could my Ethernet Card be fubared?

This is on a Dell Dimension 8250 PC. Do I need a new EN Card and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks.

ReAX222
07-26-2007, 08:21
XP my not have that driver. Check in device manager snap-in for unknown devices. If you do show a network device, try uninstall/reinstall.

havensal
07-26-2007, 09:15
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=5&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8250&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

There should be a driver for you network card here somewhere. Do you know which one you have?
:)

Redsnake
07-26-2007, 13:39
I'm not sure what network card that PC has. Is there an easy way to find out?

I'm only smart enough to be dangerous here so just remember that in your response and I do VERY much appreciate the help.

Washington,D.C.
07-26-2007, 15:20
Try the Intel driver at the bottom of the page. The last one.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=5&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8250&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en

Blitzer
07-30-2007, 03:22
There wasn't a support CD for that computer? A CD should have come with all the support files.

Please tell us which computer model, CPU, memory, hard drive size etc in the future before asking questions.

Power down the PC, Remove power cord from the PC, open the case and remove the card, read on the card the number and model if available, look up card on Dell's web site.

Then:

1) Go to the Dell web site and look up that computer

2) Download all the network card support files listed for that card

3) You may need to run the file to extract any compressed data files so you can use them

a) You may need some floppy disks or you may be able to tell the program to make a folder with all the files in it

4) Make the floppies or burn a CD with the folders and files on it

5) Goto add hardware and add a network card

6) Use the CD when instructed for adding the Network card

tjb173
07-30-2007, 20:12
Here is a link for a handy little free program that will give you detailed information about all of the hardware installed on your computer. It will tell you the exact name of the ethernet card that is installed, then you can use another computer to go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers for it.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/alsysinfo.html

Hope this helps.

highroundcount
07-30-2007, 22:13
Just getting ready to do a new hard drive in my Dell Inspiron 6000. I got the Windows XP cd from dell, but no drivers........they want you to use the restore partition on the original drive, but you are out of luck if installing a new drive. I used this link www.support.dell.com/pcrt.
From that page choose "Dell Operating System (OS) Recovery CD Creation and Manual Operating System Reinstall", then choose "Software Reinstall Guide." It will ask you for your operating system and computer model and walk you through the driver installs for everything, including direct links to the drivers. There is also a system identifier program somewhere in there. They claim you have to install the system drivers in a particular oder.

lens
07-30-2007, 22:42
Dell makes it easy. If you log into support, put your Service Tag number in, it will ID the SPECIFIC machine and tell you what drivers are appropriate for that particular machine. DL the correct one and install it on the errant machine . . . you should be good to go.

Redsnake
08-04-2007, 15:38
Thanks for all the help. Looks like I finally got the PC up and going.

Now I just have to reinstall all the software since I ended up doing a complete reinstall of Windows XP. :)