Calling all motorcycle experts!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all motorcycle experts!!!

Dogbite
07-26-2007, 10:52
If you park a motorcycle on a concrete garage floor, is there a danger of running the battery down if you don't put something under the kickstand so it doesn't contact the concrete?

epsylum
07-26-2007, 11:23
Originally posted by Dogbite
If you park a motorcycle on a concrete garage floor, is there a danger of running the battery down if you don't put something under the kickstand so it doesn't contact the concrete?

I am going to say no. My brother has a garage full of bikes on their kickstand with nothing under them on a concrete floor.

whogasak47
07-26-2007, 11:41
Originally posted by Dogbite

The wives tale started when battery cases were made out of rubber, and they had to be stored with an insulater againt the ground, wood or wood shelves. With modern cases this is impossible to happen even if you store the charged battery on concrete. The largest reason for not getting full service life on the battery is not regular use to keep it at full charge. That's how battery tender is useful if you do not use machine on a regular basis. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

Bullwinkle J Moose
07-26-2007, 18:20
Maybe that's why my battery needs replacing every 5 or 6 years.

NotAMonte86
07-26-2007, 18:44
The problem with setting a battery directly on a concrete floor was due to the floor's low temperature.

HollowHead
07-26-2007, 22:43
The earlier post was right. When batteries had high coal content rubber cases, they would eventually ground themselves if stored on certain types of poured concrete floors, regardless of concrete temperature. Modern polymer-based battery cases don't have that problem. The real issue here is that every second that a bike battery is out of the bike your are missing out on riding and that is the real tragedy. HH

Dogbite
07-27-2007, 05:08
Thanks guys!! This settled an argument between wife and i. She said it was a problem, i said i didn't think so.

Bowtie
08-06-2007, 22:35
Oh yeah blame the wife..